Profession/career change.

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Does anyone know of a site or resource that can guide one in the transfer of skills from one profession/career to another? Specifically being able to convince an employer that your background and skills are suited for the position they may offer, even without industry experience.

Second, suggestions on overcoming age discrimination. It’s out there legal or not.

Third, what is the best way to play down experience that would be a threat to an employer? Just don’t tell? This is a tough one. Say 20 something years in xyz on your resume and they immediately know your approximate age (flags old guy), and that you may know more than they in many areas (flags threat).

Suggestions?

Mr. P said:
Does anyone know of a site or resource that can guide one in the transfer of skills from one profession/career to another? Specifically being able to convince an employer that your background and skills are suited for the position they may offer, even without industry experience.

Second, suggestions on overcoming age discrimination. It’s out there legal or not.

Third, what is the best way to play down experience that would be a threat to an employer? Just don’t tell? This is a tough one. Say 20 something years in xyz on your resume and they immediately know your approximate age (flags old guy), and that you may know more than they in many areas (flags threat).

Suggestions?

Check here: http://resume.monster.com/articles/weakness_change/

there are links, one for 'overqualified' at the bottom. Lots of talk of 'transferability' of skills.

I found lots of 'hits' with the search: applicable skills from one career to another resume

Good luck!

Mr. P said:

Suggestions?
You might want to check out civil service too. They have special deals for vets, etc. and many of their openings pay well.

Kathianne said:
Check here: http://resume.monster.com/articles/weakness_change/

there are links, one for 'overqualified' at the bottom. Lots of talk of 'transferability' of skills.

I found lots of 'hits' with the search: applicable skills from one career to another resume

Good luck!
Monster is a great site!
I missed that section. Maybe I was in a frustrated daze. I’ll look at it.

I'll give the search terms a shot as well.

Thanks!

Mr. P said:
Monster is a great site!
I missed that section. Maybe I was in a frustrated daze. I’ll look at it.

I'll give the search terms a shot as well.

Thanks!

:thup:

CSM said:
You might want to check out civil service too. They have special deals for vets, etc. and many of their openings pay well.
Is there a central site you know of for job announcements? I can search for one. What about age? Years ago when I applied for a DAC job there was a max age of 35. Insuring service of 20-25 years before retirerment I guess was the reason.

Thanks.

Mr. P said:
Is there a central site you know of for job announcements? I can search for one. What about age? Years ago when I applied for a DAC job there was a max age of 35. Insuring service of 20-25 years before retirerment I guess was the reason.

Thanks.
Since I don't know what kind of position, don't know which link to give you, but here was a 'hit' that seemed to work:

Used 'advanced search' with the following terms + (domain) .gov

civil service postions requirements

I don't know about on-line, but a good book is, What Color is My Parachute?"

Mr. P said:

Suggestions?

I'm going through that a bit myself, sort of. Partial education in something new, did "non-job" for almost 7 yrs, hoping to return to old line of work. I'm working now, but not in a large administrative capacity. VERY FRUSTRATING. Then there's the language issue..........................:coffee3:

I always adjust my resume to the position I'm applying for - you could always try taking some positions off your resume if they're not very recent, or relevant. Would be good if you were at the same two or three companies for an extended period of time.

Or, reverse chronilogical order, starting at at specific date?

Forum List

Back