Productivity falls 0.9 percent in second quarter

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
Productivity drops 0.9 percent in spring, first fall since 2008; labor costs edge higher

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Worker productivity dropped this spring for the first time in more than a year, a sign that companies may need to step up hiring if they hope to grow.

Productivity declined at an annual rate of 0.9 percent in the April-to-June quarter after posting large gains throughout 2009, the Labor Department said Tuesday. Unit labor costs edged up 0.2 percent in the second quarter, the first increase since the spring of 2009.

Employee output rose by large amounts during the recession. Companies slashed their payrolls and pushed unemployment up to the highest levels in more than two decades. Economists said a slowing in productivity would be a welcome development if it translates into more hiring.

Productivity falls 0.9 percent in second quarter - Yahoo! Finance

Aug 10..... 8:30 AM..... Productivity-Prelinary.. Q2..... -0.9%
Aug 10..... 8:30 AM..... Unit Labor Costs ............Q2..... 0.2%
Economic Calendar: Financial Calendars - Yahoo! Finance

Productivity drops 0.9 percent in spring, first fall since 2008; labor costs edge higher

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Worker productivity dropped this spring for the first time in more than a year, a sign that companies may need to step up hiring if they hope to grow.

Productivity declined at an annual rate of 0.9 percent in the April-to-June quarter after posting large gains throughout 2009, the Labor Department said Tuesday. Unit labor costs edged up 0.2 percent in the second quarter, the first increase since the spring of 2009.

Employee output rose by large amounts during the recession. Companies slashed their payrolls and pushed unemployment up to the highest levels in more than two decades. Economists said a slowing in productivity would be a welcome development if it translates into more hiring.

What are the ODDS And tell me that wasn't, at least in part, a political reaction

BTW, congratulations on, (and THANK YOU for) finally finding your shirt.

Last edited:
What are the ODDS And tell me that wasn't, at least in part, a political reaction
Yeah, we all know businesses only make decisions based on whether they like the President or not. It has nothing to do with policy decisions and legislation enacted by Congress.

Yeah, we all know businesses only make decisions based on whether they like the President or not. It has nothing to do with policy decisions and legislation enacted by Congress.

Of course it has to do with the direction of policy. That IS political, isn't it? Business will spend, and lose, MAD amounts of money in order to retain control.

What are the odds? Zero, zilch, nada. As mentioned, businesses are there to make money.
What are the odds you can't hold a responsible job any more than you can maintain a stable relationship?

What are the odds? Zero, zilch, nada. As mentioned, businesses are there to make money.
What are the odds you can't hold a responsible job any more than you can maintain a stable relationship?

In response to the UAW strike against General Motors, and the government ruling that "ability to pay" was a worthy consideration in negotiations in the mid 1940s:
On that issue, GM drew the line. [...] GM endured a 113-day strike with losses of nearly 90 million dollars. Nothing could more eloquently dramatize the the importance of labor's challenge to traditional corporate practices, nor the price management would pay to retain control over its territory.
Chafe, William H., The Unfinished Journey, 94-95
Your personal attacks display impotence. Rage on. :eusa_whistle:

In response to the UAW strike against General Motors, and the government ruling that "ability to pay" was a worthy consideration in negotiations in the mid 1940s:
On that issue, GM drew the line. [...] GM endured a 113-day strike with losses of nearly 90 million dollars. Nothing could more eloquently dramatize the the importance of labor's challenge to traditional corporate practices, nor the price management would pay to retain control over its territory.

History of Ice Cream

About as relevant as your post.

When you got nothing, admit it. The more you try to fudge the dumber you look.

History of Ice Cream

You truly are a waste of bandwidth. A bot. One of those automated systems that drown threads in stupidity so that more informed posters abandon them.

Of course it has to do with the direction of policy. That IS political, isn't it? Business will spend, and lose, MAD amounts of money in order to retain control.
You seem to have the typical liberal view of business that's it's only goal is to make "mad amounts of money and screw people over". It's just not true.

My uncle is a small business owner who never voted in his life! When I asked him why he doesn't participate in such an important thing his response was:
"Man, the less those fuckers know about me the better. I just want em' to leave me alone!".

I suspect most business owner fell the same way: Government needs to get out of the way.

History of Ice Cream

You truly are a waste of bandwidth. A bot. One of those automated systems that drown threads in stupidity so that more informed posters abandon them.

Sez the person who posted an off topic link to an event that happened over 60 years ago, thinking it proves a point that she never made, isn't relevant, and wouldn't be defensible if she had.

You seem to have the typical liberal view of business that's it's only goal is to make "mad amounts of money and screw people over". It's just not true.

My uncle is a small business owner who never voted in his life! When I asked him why he doesn't participate in such an important thing his response was:
"Man, the less those fuckers know about me the better. I just want em' to leave me alone!".

I suspect most business owner fell the same way: Government needs to get out of the way.

My parents owned their own business, I took care of the books. Try a different box.
Reagan ( the get government out of the way guy) was no friend to family business.

Forum List

Back