Problems With Health Care System - Making A List

MadChemist

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2017
Everyone,

I think most everyone would agree that there is an ongoing argument regarding the delivery of health care in the United States. Some focus on costs. Others on insurance companies (of which costs are a component).

Regardless of what the arguments are, I am attempting to make a list of what the issues with the "system" are (perceived or real, it does not matter).

Please spell them out in sentences....with the standard it is violating.

IOW: I am asking that you not respond with just a word like "costs", but instead say, "Our costs are higher than other countries" or "Costs vary to much from one county to the next". I will aggregate the list and publish it after I've collected a good number of responses.

You can also include things that were issues prior to Obamacare (as they could become issues again if it is repealed).

This is a brainstorming list...not an argument thread. Regardless of whether your agree with a claim or not, don't address it on this thread (feel free to start your own to address it if you'd like).

I'll start my list by saying:

1. Insurance companies can (or could) cancel your insurance with no recourse.
2. The government forces coverages that are expensive and unecessary.
3. Doctors make to much money which keeps costs up.
4. We spend approximately 30% of our health care on end-of-life care.
5. Insurance companies will challenge what doctors can provide and withhold or deny reimbursement.

I will attempt to group some of these.

Thanks for chipping in your comments.

To help seed the list:

We spend more, per capita, than any other developed country, but get worse results.

We've convinced ourselves that insurance is a good mechanism to finance health care.

We've convinced ourselves that insurance can work as a social safety net.

We want basic health care to be an entitlement, but we're too chickenshit to amend the Constitution and raise the taxes to pay for it. And it has to be done at the federal level because, uh, scale or something. Plus it's way more convenient for lobbyists.

We've convinced ourselves that insurance is a good mechanism to finance health care.

We want basic health care to be an entitlement, but we're too chickenshit to amend the Constitution and raise the taxes to pay for it. And it has to be done at the federal level because, uh, scale or something. Plus it's way more convenient for lobbyists.

I find it strange (but not necessarily suprizing) that people won't post their complaints.

Do they not have them or can they not articulate them.

Or do they think we are past that and the answers are now in front of us ?

I find it strange (but not necessarily suprizing) that people won't post their complaints.

Do they not have them or can they not articulate them.

Or do they think we are past that and the answers are now in front of us ?

I think that's a lot of it. We all seem to think the problem is obvious, yet there's no real consensus on the matter. Yet our differing conceptions of the problem point toward very different, often contradictory, solutions. This is why Congress is stymied. I think it's more of a blocker than the partisan divide. Even within the same party, there's no clear conception of what the problem is.

Here are some of the positions I've run across:

Most people agree the health care market is broken. Some people think the goal of reform should be to do something about spiraling health care prices.

Others are concerned with making sure no one falls through the cracks. They want government to ensure that poor people get the health care they need.

Then there are those who see the very existence of a health care market as the problem. Often they'll claim that the amount and quality of health care shouldn't depend on ability to pay. In their view, health care shouldn't be a "commodity" for sale, but a service controlled and aportioned by government.

Everyone,

I think most everyone would agree that there is an ongoing argument regarding the delivery of health care in the United States. Some focus on costs. Others on insurance companies (of which costs are a component).

Regardless of what the arguments are, I am attempting to make a list of what the issues with the "system" are (perceived or real, it does not matter).

IOW: I am asking that you not respond with just a word like "costs", but instead say, "Our costs are higher than other countries" or "Costs vary to much from one county to the next". I will aggregate the list and publish it after I've collected a good number of responses.

You can also include things that were issues prior to Obamacare (as they could become issues again if it is repealed).

This is a brainstorming list...not an argument thread. Regardless of whether your agree with a claim or not, don't address it on this thread (feel free to start your own to address it if you'd like).

5. Insurance companies will challenge what doctors can provide and withhold or deny reimbursement.

You are wrong on most of your points and the title is the first of your mistakes.

There is no problem with our healthcare, it's the best in the world. The problem is with our health insurance and the attitudes of Americans.

Everyone,

You are wrong on most of your points and the title is the first of your mistakes.

There is no problem with our healthcare, it's the best in the world. The problem is with our health insurance and the attitudes of Americans.

Did you read the OP ?

Answer: No.

Because if you had, you would know I simply said I was making a list of what people said on both sides. I specifically said it was not a thread for argument. It is a collector.

There is no right or wrong here....just making the list.

Please let me know what else is not clear.

The biggest problem is that the consumer of the service is not the one who pays for it. We have completely opaque pricing which causes misuse of health care resources.

Everyone,

Did you read the OP ?

Because if you had, you would know I simply said I was making a list of what people said on both sides. I specifically said it was not a thread for argument. It is a collector.

So you are collecting lies then? Not much good for anything but have fun with it.

Everyone,

Did you read the OP ?

So you are collecting lies then? Not much good for anything but have fun with it.

They might be identified as such at some point.

At this point in time, it is just collecting......lies, opinions, facts, ideas.....whatever.

Still looking to make that list.

Please share what you have heard.

Forum List

Back