Problem with translation

Kol

Rookie
Mar 5, 2011
Hello to everybody,
I'm having a great difficulty with translating the following sentence:
"Congress, although theoretically open, has conducted little business and session after scheduled session has been cancelled".

I just simply don't understand the phrase "to conduct little business". I was looking for some sort of explanation all over the Internet, but to no avail. I'd be more than grateful If somebody explained to me in simple words what on earth does that mean.
Thanks in advance
PS. I apologize for posting such an off-topic, but believe me I have no one else to turn to.

Seriously?

That sentence flummoxes you, does it?

I fear if it does any sentence designed to explain it will be equally perplexing for you.

The Insane Cynics reply: Congress conducts no business not little business, business is defined in practical terms of offerings to a public or a client for remuneration. 'Little' business should really be 'big' business, as Congress in America today only caters to wealth and power in a desire to maintain its own wealth and power. Business, the word and the concept, changed to 'money mercenary.' Sometime in the 1980's America lost its way and found it was easier padding their pockets with corporate loot, and K street found a friend for lunch. Actually lunch dinner snacks and future work and connections as well as the continuation of a pretense of working for the public through corporate think tanks that do every thing but think, and really just justify money mercenary politics as the only way of life, noble and praise worthy and all American. Pure breed wealth - we never had nobility, we no longer need them. We have corporate think tanks as nobility. Praise Moola.

"The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey [see Democracy after Citizens United | MIT World ]

The Insane Cynics reply: Congress conducts no business not little business, business is defined in practical terms of offerings to a public or a client for remuneration. 'Little' business should really be 'big' business, as Congress in America today only caters to wealth and power in a desire to maintain its own wealth and power. Business, the word and the concept, changed to 'money mercenary.' Sometime in the 1980's America lost its way and found it was easier padding their pockets with corporate loot, and K street found a friend for lunch. Actually lunch dinner snacks and future work and connections as well as the continuation of a pretense of working for the public through corporate think tanks that do every thing but think, and really just justify money mercenary politics as the only way of life, noble and praise worthy and all American. Pure breed wealth - we never had nobility, we no longer need them. We have corporate think tanks as nobility. Praise Moola.

"The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey [see Democracy after Citizens United | MIT World ]

'Little' business should really be 'big' business, as Congress in America today only caters to wealth and power in a desire to maintain its own wealth and power.
Alexander Hamilton really Fast Tracked that Marriage between Big Government and Big Money. It has been impossible to Separate since. That right there should Red Flag the concept of Big Government being the solution to our problems.

'Little' business should really be 'big' business, as Congress in America today only caters to wealth and power in a desire to maintain its own wealth and power. Business, the word and the concept, changed to 'money mercenary.'
Better Money than Guns, Shackles, and Mass Graves. Just a thought.

Business, the word and the concept, changed to 'money mercenary.' Sometime in the 1980's America lost its way and found it was easier padding their pockets with corporate loot, and K street found a friend for lunch. Actually lunch dinner snacks and future work and connections as well as the continuation of a pretense of working for the public through corporate think tanks that do every thing but think, and really just justify money mercenary politics as the only way of life, noble and praise worthy and all American.
Still, The Puppet Masters are running the Show, or Circus. There is a Design to the madness. I do not see a Form of Power that has yet to resist the Corruption. Again, just a thought.

Pure breed wealth - we never had nobility, we no longer need them. We have corporate think tanks as nobility. Praise Moola.
I sympathize, there may be Heavy Truth in that statement. Yet This Class Truly remains out of Sight, Notice, and in control of the Playing Field. The Free Market, and the closer we come to it, is the best defense against being played Midcan. When our Liberty is our own, when we exercise it, Truly, we limit their influence and power over us. When we Consolidate Power, Centralize Control, we are making it very easy to be controlled and manipulated. By eliminating choice and competition, Tyranny gains ground.

Really you guys? He's just asking for language clarification. Did you really not get that?? :rolleyes:

Hello to everybody,
"Congress, although theoretically open, has conducted little business and session after scheduled session has been cancelled".

I just simply don't understand the phrase "to conduct little business". I was looking for some sort of explanation all over the Internet, but to no avail. I'd be more than grateful If somebody explained to me in simple words what on earth does that mean.
Thanks in advance
PS. I apologize for posting such an off-topic, but believe me I have no one else to turn to.

"to conduct little business" means that they've done very little business; they haven't done much.

It's saying that even though congress is open for business, they've done very little business and the keep cancelling things (sessions).

Another example: "Due to the weather, we've done very little business and have had to cancel appointment after appointment".

In other words, even though we're open for business we're conducting (doing) very little business and have canceled many appointments.

Hope that helps. Maybe someone else can explain it better . . .

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Really you guys? He's just asking for language clarification. Did you really not get that?? :rolleyes:

Hello to everybody,

Thanks in advance

"to conduct little business" means that they've done very little business; they haven't done much.

It's saying that even though congress is open for business, they've done very little business and the keep cancelling things (sessions).

Another example: "Due to the weather, we've done very little business and have had to cancel appointment after appointment".

In other words, even though we're open for business we're conducting (doing) very little business and have canceled many appointments.

Hope that helps. Maybe someone else can explain it better . . .

They're operating but have done little business...in other words it isn't "business as usual" that people have been accustomed to for decades.

They aren't ramming law after law down the throats of the people because of the economic mess that we are in. Government has slowed to a crawl because of it, and that's a good thing.

Thank you Zoom-boing and The T. Now the meaning of this sentence is clear to me. Thank you once again :)

Last edited:
Thank you Zoom-boing and The T. Now the meaning of this sentence is clear to me. Thank you once again :)

You're entirely welcome. At least that is what I think the author meant seeing that State and Federal government are in budget turmoil, and are overextended. So it's safe to say this isn't 'business as usual'.

Have a nice day. :)

Now would that be any fun? Imagine for a moment that everyone on USMB seriously considered and thought about all Threads and Queries rather than just going into their head and pulling out their own particular blend of reality. Jeez, what a novel idea that would be. ;)

"Practical issues are issues over which people are prepared to fight and kill one another; and it may be that unless some way is found of talking about them rationally and with hope of agreement, violence will finally engulf the world." R. M. Hare 'Moral Thinking'

You're quite welcome!

And to the rest of you bumbleheads . . . .

961076-monty_python_fart_in_your_general_direction_t_link_large.jpg

really you guys? He's just asking for language clarification. Did you really not get that?? :rolleyes:

now would that be any fun? Imagine for a moment that everyone on usmb seriously considered and thought about all threads and queries rather than just going into their head and pulling out their own particular blend of reality. Jeez, what a novel idea that would be. ;)

"practical issues are issues over which people are prepared to fight and kill one another; and it may be that unless some way is found of talking about them rationally and with hope of agreement, violence will finally engulf the world." r. M. Hare 'moral thinking'

*truth has no agenda*

really you guys? He's just asking for language clarification. Did you really not get that?? :rolleyes:

now would that be any fun? Imagine for a moment that everyone on usmb seriously considered and thought about all threads and queries rather than just going into their head and pulling out their own particular blend of reality. Jeez, what a novel idea that would be. ;)

"practical issues are issues over which people are prepared to fight and kill one another; and it may be that unless some way is found of talking about them rationally and with hope of agreement, violence will finally engulf the world." r. M. Hare 'moral thinking'

*truth has no agenda*

I could not have said it any better myself brother. ~BH

*truth has no agenda*

I could not have said it any better myself brother. ~BH

You're very kind brother...

Hello to everybody,

Thanks in advance

It means they sat around and did nothing but talk and passed few laws , which is a good thing for people who wish to have a smaller government.

Hi Erfan,
It's comprehend very morality to hurried fulfill. Still, I allay don't deal to render some of the strings. This is what I did:
- I reliable a movement for the strings that I could hear via admin/build/translate/search
- I cleared my Firefox application stock
- I ran grain.php
But Cyprus transformed. What I think that is real unusual is that there are 3 divers types:
- many of the strings are findable and translatable and product fine
- many of the strings are findable and translatable but aught happens
- some of the section are not findable, thus not translatable
Probably I'm doing it dishonorable but I someone no thought what to do incoming...

:wtf:

Hi Erfan,
It's comprehend very morality to hurried fulfill. Still, I allay don't deal to render some of the strings. This is what I did:
- I reliable a movement for the strings that I could hear via admin/build/translate/search
- I cleared my Firefox application stock
- I ran grain.php
But Cyprus transformed. What I think that is real unusual is that there are 3 divers types:
- many of the strings are findable and translatable and product fine
- many of the strings are findable and translatable but aught happens
- some of the section are not findable, thus not translatable
Probably I'm doing it dishonorable but I someone no thought what to do incoming...

OMFG! That's what she said!

Forum List

Back