???Pro-life Atheists???

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JBeukema, Aug 4, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Am I the only one? Whenever the subject comes up at an atheist board, I've noticed that the responses almost always boil down to 'stfu, fundy, keep your religion out of someone else's uterus! Have you ever been pregnant'?

The hilarity of this should be obvious to anyone who knows anything of me. Why do people seem to have so much difficulty responding to non-religions pro-life arguments? Why do they seem incapable of grasping the concept that such a thing as a pro-life atheist even exists? I swear, explaining it to some if them is like arguing with kent Hovind about evolution..

2. BrokenAngel

BrokenAngel Do broken wings mend?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A pro-life atheist should be in existence. It would be someone who saw a fetus as a child, not worrying about the soul but more what the fetus would grow to be and place value on that because it is one of their own. You are right though and the same thing happens when you talk about politics in America. Everyone is so uptight that when faced with a decision it is like they run for a handbook on how they are supposed to feel and everyone comes up with the same cookie cutter responses. Hehehe.. its like everyone wanting to stand out in school.. they all end up dressing the same, copying each other, and eventually become clicks and within each click they are all clones. They don't all really fit in with the crowd they are hanging with ( a poet football player for example ) but they play the part so they still fit the perameters of how they had defined themselves.. it feels safe.

3. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    I was pro-life as an atheist. I still don't attempt to justify my position religiously; it seems self-evident to me that destroying a life or a potential life is an immoral act.

4. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

The problem with that statement is that it raises the subject of morality- a discussion unto itself. I start with the social condemnation of homicide. It's evident if one extrapolate the reason for such laws (social contract and self interest) that any logical consistent condemnation of homicide must include the protection of the unborn from the moment of conception. I have yet to see any argument that reaches and other conclusion. Usually people just stip thinking, attack their opponents, and refuse to address the matter. in this regard, they are much like theists.

Pointing out that similarity brought the wrath of the mods down upon me at another board:lol:

5. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    Right, that's what I meant - immoral according to the standards that are already accepted almost universally in postindustrial societies. I should have been clear. I guess opposing abortion simply because you consider it immoral is as lame as trying to argue against it using religion.

6. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    God to some people, I think, is the sole reason for living. God gives them an excuse to live. God gives them an excuse for everything that they do. God gives them peace of mind to know right from wrong.

I think people panic when something such as abortion comes along because they believe that God will do them a dishonor if they encourage such thought. They are scared of anything outside of that "god" realm they live in. They are scared of going to hell or being punished in this incarnation by karma for thinking "bad" thoughts. If they go along with a non religious "pro life" discussion, they are defaming their God and are scared of the consequences.

Check out this link: Kill The Afterlife: The Consequences of Atheism

You'll thank me for it :) If you havent already seen it :)

Jamie

7. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    And then there's the other end of that weird spectrum, the pro-choice believer. I can't imagine having an abortion for any reason, but I wouldn't deny anyone else autonomy over their body. If they end up answering to God that's between them and God, I'm not a part of that. I don't expect anyone else to show up and plead my case when I face God. I have no illusions about being allowed to enter heaven. I expect God will laugh at me and cast me aside because I have fucked up as much as I think is possible in this life, but again, that's between me and God, and no one else. And that's where I think this argument starts and ends.

8. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Take heart. I'm a pro-life Agnostic. Ewww. I hate labels. They don't give a clear picture. I'm an agnostic. I'm opposed to capital punishment but believe convicts should serve harsher and longer time in jail. I think that abortion should be illegal except for cases in which the mother's life is in serious risk - and perhaps in cases of rape and incest.

I guess that makes me an agnostic pro-lifer.

9. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Labels can seem to make it easier for us to understand others beliefs but in reality prolly do all of us more of a disservice. I don't know anyone that is as simple as their label would make it seem.

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

It's not their body. We're dealing with a distinct living human organism- another human being. Why is it that anti-lifers can never be honest and simply say they support homicide if the person being killed is below age x for reason y? Why can you people never be honest or argue fir what you want? Why is it all lies? Lies about the child being human, lies about the child being alive, lies about being raped..

Do you apply that argument to all homicides,rapes, and theft? Or do you only apply it where it suits your purposes, fits your agenda, or or seems to support in your limited view the position you want it to?