Pro-immigration forces to march on Washington

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
By Jerry Seper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 20, 2006

A coalition of pro-immigration advocates will march on Washington next month to pressure the Senate into defeating pending House-approved legislation making illegal entry a criminal offense and calling for the construction of 700 miles of high-security fences on the U.S.-Mexico border.
Led by the National Alliance for Human Rights (NAHR), the march was approved last week during a meeting in Riverside, Calif., of more than 500 immigration advocates who mapped out a strategy of "social justice and political empowerment" involving Hispanic groups from throughout the United States and Mexico.
NAHR Coordinator Armando Navarro, chairman and professor of ethnic studies at the University of California at Riverside, said coalition members agreed not only to respond to the legislation -- written by Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, Wisconsin Republican and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee -- but to defeat it and call for immigration reform.
Mr. Navarro told The Washington Times that 2006 will be a year of "massive mobilizations, activism and political participation to countervail the heinous, racist and nativist crusade" of those who support the bill and the construction of "an Iron Curtain" along the U.S.-Mexico border. In addition to efforts by the coalition, the foreign ministers of 11 Latin American countries opposed to the Sensenbrenner bill met in Cartagena, Colombia, last week and also agreed to begin a massive lobbying campaign in Washington to defeat the legislation. The ministers will send a team to Capitol Hill this week to identify key members of Congress on the immigration issue. They will call for the implementation of a guest-worker program, outline their opposition to the criminalization of illegal entry, demand better treatment of migrants, and condemn proposals for tighter control of the U.S.-Mexico border.
Ministers who attended the meeting were from Colombia, Mexico, Panama, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Ecuador, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic
. Migrants from those countries are believed by U.S. authorities to send about $32 billion in remittances to relatives at home each year.
Mr. Navarro said the U.S. coalition will focus on strategically formulating "a Mexicano-Latino coordinated response" to the legislation and on what he called the "escalating attacks" on the Mexican and Hispanic communities in this country.
"You have to galvanize what you got and go after what you don't have," he said, adding that the coalition eventually will seek its own immigration-reform program.
Known as the Border Protection, Antiterrorism and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005, the Sensenbrenner bill directs Homeland Security to take "all appropriate actions, including development of a national border strategy, to maintain operational control over the U.S. international land and maritime borders."
The bill passed Dec. 16 in the House on a 239-182 vote. Sent to the Senate on Jan. 27, the Sensenbrenner bill is expected to be debated before the Senate Judiciary Committee beginning next month.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20060219-105048-3039r.htm

Stopping illegal immigration is racist and nativist? Defending our own security is getting a comparison to the USSR's inwardly pointing walls? We have to completely open up to anybody who wants to come in to be, what? Humane? Correct? Free? Not a racist?

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

Hobbit said:
Stopping illegal immigration is racist and nativist? Defending our own security is getting a comparison to the USSR's inwardly pointing walls? We have to completely open up to anybody who wants to come in to be, what? Humane? Correct? Free? Not a racist?

I know the feeling.

Hobbit said:

ooops--I thought this was Avatars' thread on understanding women--carry on! :)

Stephanie said:
By Jerry Seper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 20, 2006

A coalition of pro-immigration advocates will march on Washington next month to pressure the Senate into defeating pending House-approved legislation making illegal entry a criminal offense and calling for the construction of 700 miles of high-security fences on the U.S.-Mexico border.
Led by the National Alliance for Human Rights (NAHR), the march was approved last week during a meeting in Riverside, Calif., of more than 500 immigration advocates who mapped out a strategy of "social justice and political empowerment" involving Hispanic groups from throughout the United States and Mexico.

I say, marching in support of illegal immigration is probable cause to detain someone long enough to determine their citizenship/immigration status. Any illegal who marches, deport them back home.

gop_jeff said:
I say, marching in support of illegal immigration is probable cause to detain someone long enough to determine their citizenship/immigration status. Any illegal who marches, deport them back home.

There was a march earlier that advertised that only illegal immigrants would be participating. Close to a million illegal immigrants were gathered in a single, public place. No arrests. No deportments. I hate the current immigration policy.

These foreign ministers are emboldened by the way organizations within the U.S. are constantly bowing to internal pressure to be PC, by the MSM's fear of offending anyone (except white Christian males), by burgeoning hate crimes legislation, by President Bush's weakness on immigration, etc., etc. It all adds up to a country afraid of being accused of even the hint of insensitivity. It was only a matter of time before we started to receive the same pressure to "behave" from without.

Abbey Normal said:
These foreign ministers are emboldened by the way organizations within the U.S. are constantly bowing to internal pressure to be PC, by the MSM's fear of offending anyone (except white Christian males), by burgeoning hate crimes legislation, by President Bush's weakness on immigration, etc., etc. It all adds up to a country afraid of being accused of even the hint of insensitivity. It was only a matter of time before we started to receive the same pressure to "behave" from without.

Absolutely !!!!

When America begins to be a country that only reacts out of fear we are doomed. Right now we look like spineless jellyfish that float away from anything that might be risky. Apperaring weak ENCOURAGES attack and our enemies know that.

Now, now. Who are we to say that they don't have a right to be heard? What about the poor immigrants that might not be able to get in legally? Is it because they aren't white, European, English speakers? How closed minded.

Well well, everyone hates our country, YET they will march for the right to enter illegally and loot us for everything we offer.

March on Washington? Hell, they're marching behind the 7-11 as we speak. They march across the border. They march on the flag. They march away the grass in Takoma Park. They march up to the welfare office and make their demand.

They need to be marched back to Mexico.

I'm not sure WHAT the fuss is about here. If you enter this country illegally, you are a criminal and should be treated as such. Screw the PC and their twisting BS.

There is a means to emigrate LEGALLY. I have no problem with that.

I DO have a problem with my tax dollars being sucked out of me to support a social infrastructure these illegals feel free to avail themselves of, while not contributing a dime.

As usual, the "have nots" think the "haves" should willingly relinquish what they have earned to those who have earned NOTHING.

GunnyL said:
I'm not sure WHAT the fuss is about here. If you enter this country illegally, you are a criminal and should be treated as such. Screw the PC and their twisting BS.

I DO have a problem with my tax dollars being sucked out of me to support a social infrastructure these illegals feel free to avail themselves of, while not contributing a dime.

As usual, the "have nots" think the "haves" should willingly relinquish what they have earned to those who have earned NOTHING.

Empower me!

GunnyL said:

What he said.

Forum List

Back