Pro abortion and Nazism

I think Cain spoke for many pro-lifers when he said it would be up to the woman. Of course he reneged on that when he realized it wasn't politically correct.

So it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, here's my position.

I don't think abortion is a good thing, save in cases of medical necessity. (And I would classify rape and incest in those categories.)

But I don't think the government should be banning it. The government can barely do the things we all agree it should do very well, like keeping the roads in repair.

As a practical matter, banning abortion would be impossible. Laws only work if a super-majority agree there should be a law. If you have a large enough section of the population intent on breaking a law, it can't be effective.

I think that PP is a useful organization, but I'm not comfortable with it getting government subsidies.

I think that if pro-life groups were serious about reducing the number of abortions, they should put their money where their mouth is and support certain liberal causes that would encourage women not to have abortions. You can't be pro-life only up until the Fourth Trimester.

Since I have now (once again) offended both liberals and conservatives, I will duck...

Actually, government is in the abortion business up to its neck right now. It was in it from day one, when a political supreme court pushed through the law that allows murder in the cases of the unborn. (Unborn until they're aborted, anyway).

Conservatives are not concerned with the rights of people who want to kill their children, and even less with the rights of those who want to kill OTHER people's children. When you decide to kill, you lose your rights. Period.

Hi KG,

I thought about my college days and when I drove a roommate out of state to get an abortion. In those days, it was only legal in Washington, DC and NY. My view at the time, spiritually was that the soul entered the fetuses body quite late in the pregnancy. Later, science showed that consciousness was present in the developing fetus much earlier than I had previously thought.

I learned an important and painful lesson with that college friend. She immediately had unprotected sex with her boyfriend right after the procedure. I regretted my decision to help her.

Now, I feel as thought consciousness is present at conception, but not in any way that we know consciousness to be, (the way we experience it with higher brain function)

I would not counsel any woman who asked my opinion to have an abortion unless her own life was endangered.

Nonetheless, I don't feel identified with the anti-abortion movement. I would not judge a woman who made that decision, and I am not in favor of making abortion illegal.

You probably don't understand my position. I'm 60 years old and I remember pregnant women taking their own lives, in suicides, dying in back alley and coat hanger procedures.

I do not want us to go back to that.

I'd really like to see safe, affordable and effective contraception in order to prevent unwanted pregnancies and potential abortions.

The Personhood movement goes too far.

Actually, government is in the abortion business up to its neck right now. It was in it from day one, when a political supreme court pushed through the law that allows murder in the cases of the unborn. (Unborn until they're aborted, anyway).

Government just legalized what was already going on widely, as demonstrated by the fact the birth rate did not dramatically drop in 1973.

It should also be pointed out that the "political" Supreme court you whine about was mostly appointed by Republicans. Roe v. Wade was a 7-2 decision. The 7 who voted for were Powell (appointed by Nixon) Blackmum (Nixon) Burger (Nixon) Marshall (Johnson) Stewart (Eisenhower) Brennan (Eisenhower) and Douglas (FDR).

The two who voted against were White (JFK) and Renquist (Nixon).

Since then, Roe has been upheld by Republican Justices appointed since then- Stevens, O'Connor, Kennedy and Souter.

Incidently, I think Roe itself is not a good decision. There is no right to an abortion hiding in the 14th Amendment nobody noticed for the previous 100 years. If you take it's logic to its conclusion, prostitution laws, drug laws, and selling your kidneys on Ebay should also be legal. But it reflected the reality. Abortion was widespread at that point, the legislators were not getting off their asses and making the laws sensible, and something needed to be done.

Conservatives are not concerned with the rights of people who want to kill their children, and even less with the rights of those who want to kill OTHER people's children. When you decide to kill, you lose your rights. Period.

Horseshit. Here's the ugly truth about it. The "Conservative" movement is just playing lip service to your sort. They don't care about abortion as much as you do, which is why half the REpublican appointments to the court since Roe have upheld it.

They just know that it's a way to keep dumb people like you upset so they can keep voting for Republicans, and they can keep voting for tax cuts for rich people, which is their real religion. And even though you are probably not rich, you keep going along with the gag on the hope that some day, some day, little Johnny, you can force a woman to have that baby she doesn't want.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back