Privatized Medicaid, hows that working out?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
In ky the privatized part of medicaid costs over twice as much as the non privatized part.

this from watching state hearings on the matter on PBS the other day.

Everything costs less when someone else pays for it!

Private Medicaid Company to Leave Kentucky. Well why would they do that?:

State Reacts to Private Medicaid Company Leaving Kentucky | The River City News
Kentucky Spirit Health Plan (Kentucky Spirit), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Centene Corporation (NYSE: CNC), has notified the Cabinet for Health and Family Services that it is exercising a contractual right that it believes allows Kentucky Spirit to terminate its Medicaid managed care contract with the Commonwealth of Kentucky effective July 5, 2013. In addition, Kentucky Spirit has filed a formal dispute with the Cabinet for DAMAGES incurred under the contract.

The decision to terminate the contract comes after months of effort by Kentucky Spirit and the Cabinet to resolve these concerns and only after it has become clear that there is not a viable path to a sustainable Medicaid managed care program in Kentucky.
So Centene (Kentucky Spirit Health Plan) was the Low Bidder and signed a contract but apparently wants out and is suing for "Damages"?

I wonder what those damages would be?

Oh looky here boys! Centene Sues Kentucky!
Centene Corp. sues Kentucky, saying state deceptions, omissions led to $120 million in Medicaid losses » Insider Louisville
In the suit filed in Franklin Circuit Court, Centene officials are charging that officials with the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Kentucky’s Finance Cabinet and the Kentucky Department of Medicaid Services MISLED (Lied) Centene officials about the overall health of Kentucky’s Medicaid members during the period leading up to the awarding of $6 billion in contracts back in November 2011.
The Centene suit also claims Kentucky officials SUBMITTED INCORRECT DATA to the insurer after rushing to stand up a Medicaid managed care system.
Incomplete and accurate data has caused the Medicaid managed care organization to lose $120 million in the 11 months since the contracts went into effect, according to the suit
Oh ok, so it wasn't the Evil Private Insurers, it was the Elected Officials who tried to pull a fast one on the Insurance Company!

See, if I submit "inaccurate" paperwork to my Insurance Agency that's called "Fraud" and that's EXACTLY what the Politicians in Kentucky did.

Those Politicians who did this to the State of Kentucky should be thrown in jail!

OP is fraudin' too. And of course, the ignorant USMB liberal sheep ate it all up without even questioning it! :lol:

Oh ok, so it wasn't the Evil Private Insurers, it was the Elected Officials who tried to pull a fast one on the Insurance Company!

That misses the point. They bid on the contract and were awarded it on the assumption that they could deliver those Medicaid services more cheaply than the state could, which obviously would create savings in the program. Turns out they can't and those savings seem to be evaporating.

They're claiming they were misled into thinking they could deliver the services more cheaply than the state. Who knows, maybe they were. The point is that the reality is that they can't do the job as cheaply as they, and apparently their state government, thought. Which appears to be uscitizen's point.

And I say that as someone who has no problem with Medicaid managed care.

As a general rule, government covers the health care expenses incurred by those that would not be gainful for the private insurance market to try to insure (hence they won't). Said another way, there is no way for a private organization to survive trying to provide a health insurance product to the old and the poor. That's why it keeps getting heaped on the public generally.

Forum List

Back