Privatize Water?

The city needs to sink $1-billion into its water and waste infrastructure by 2012 to comply with new pollution rules imposed by the province, according to Mr. Katz. But he has found the customary process of putting mass public-works projects out to tender incredibly costly for the city.
"In the past when we've taken on this type of project, it's proved beyond our abilities to deal with it," he said. "And as a result, it's come in over-budget by a significant amount of money."
The mayor is endorsing a plan to split off the Water and Waste Department from the city and place it in an arm's-length corporation, much like some provincial Crown corporations, but with a major catch: The new utility would be a partnership between the city and a private-sector company.

Sounds like a crock of shit to me. I think this mayor is on the take. It's a highly dangerous thing to privatise water, something no human can do without. Too many of our basic human needs are in the hands of private enterprise.

Did you ever notice that you aren't thirsty until you can't readily get a drink of water?

In America, there are something like 11,000 water utilities. Roughly half of them are private and half of them are publicly owned. There are rarely any problems with private water monopolies.

Utilities are a monopoly, and should thus be regulated as one. It does not matter if the utility is public or private. Often times, private water monopolies are more efficient than public ones. Thus, there is nothing wrong with private water utilities as long as they are regulated as such.

Public utilities could (and really should) be privatized by declaring transmission lines rights-of-way and reimbursing those who constructed them for their time and efforts.

Water, though, is a slightly sketchier proposition out west.

In America, there are something like 11,000 water utilities. Roughly half of them are private and half of them are publicly owned. There are rarely any problems with private water monopolies.

Utilities are a monopoly, and should thus be regulated as one. It does not matter if the utility is public or private. Often times, private water monopolies are more efficient than public ones. Thus, there is nothing wrong with private water utilities as long as they are regulated as such.

I'm not too happy with how utilities are regulated either.

yeah, water is private when you have a well, then its not only private its free.

Winnipeggers battle city proposal to privatize water system - The Globe and Mail

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Most people here seem pro-free market capitalism. Thoughts on privatizing water?
Would you want that in your city/state/etc.?

OMG! How can a private company possibly do this better than the government?????? This is absolutely unconscionable. The free-thinkers proposing this should be put in internment camps and be forced to attend government sensitivity training. THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

I'm kinda torn on this one, only because water rights is a contact sport in the 11 western states.
If they privatize water and the companies start price gouging, blood will be shed in Arizona

I agree. I have no issues with privatization of utilities, as long as there is heavy regulation of them to ensure the water they sell is sufficiently clean, and their practices are environmentally sound, etc. And not only are they actually government-monitored, but these regulations are strictly enforced.

I have issues with bottled water. I think bottling water is a waste simply because of the amount of plastic required to sell the product that just ends up filling dumps unnecessarily for something you can put in a small reusable water bottle. Especially when you can get the same or better quality water from your tap at home. I think anyone who pays $2+ for a bottle of water is insane and that's why I avoid bottled water. But, eh, free market. I don't think bottled water companies should be barred from doing business. I just don't give them mine and if others likewise share my views, they'll stop and these companies will eventually go under from lack of business.

But there's the rub. You can afford to go without your $2 bottle of Dasani water. You can't afford to go without running water and electricity. While bottled water companies gouge left, right, and center, utilities cannot because if one starts gouging, they all start gouging. It's a very dangerous idea.

So in addition to quality and environmental regulations, I'd like to see some loose price regulation from the government. Tight enough to prevent gouging but loose enough to allow for competition.

Forum List

Back