Privatize, Privatize, Privatize

Kathianne - you silly girl, how could private responsible management of schooling be accomplished w/o government being involved up to their ass. Furthurmore private schools break ranks man. First it's better teachers, then you have accelerated learning and before long every student graduates with an education. We can't have that!

Leave it to the Right wing fools to think things can be better without government. Government is there to CONTROL! We need control man! Just think w/o control my little granddaughter would still be telling her friends Merry Christmas on the last day of school b4 vacation. Thank God there was a second grade government teacher there at Maysville Elementary to correct that inappropriate behavior on the part of my little precious.

When it is going to sink in to the Lib's that the same rights they claim they have to big govenrment and it's "advantages" are the liberties people who are willing to take a little "risk" are just as entitled to.

Kathianne said:
I'm not saying I disagree with the premise, but the problems with the public schools began way before NCLB.

Yeah, NCLB was a direct result of those problems, but so far, it's made things worse, not better.

Hobbit said:
Yeah, NCLB was a direct result of those problems, but so far, it's made things worse, not better.
Personally, I think it's been a mixed bag. The idea of teachers, especially the not-so-good ones, having to prove a purpose i.e., standard behind what they are purporting to be a 'lesson plan' is not a bad thing. You would not believe how many teachers care about the 'product' the students produce, rather than understanding the lesson that was to be taught. Why? Seems obvious? Not if the teacher doesn't know what it is that the students need to know.

What pisses me off about NCLB is all the subcategories that can get 'good' schools on probation, through pc reckoning. There is the major flaw that 'all' students should meet all standards, including those in special ed., the chronically absent, those that move from place to place, and those where English is not spoken at home or are very recent immigrants. Good teachers can help some of these students move faster, but cannot get them to 'grade level', yet that's what NCLB calls for, so many end up 'teaching to the test.'

Kathianne said:
Personally, I think it's been a mixed bag. The idea of teachers, especially the not-so-good ones, having to prove a purpose i.e., standard behind what they are purporting to be a 'lesson plan' is not a bad thing. You would not believe how many teachers care about the 'product' the students produce, rather than understanding the lesson that was to be taught. Why? Seems obvious? Not if the teacher doesn't know what it is that the students need to know.

What pisses me off about NCLB is all the subcategories that can get 'good' schools on probation, through pc reckoning. There is the major flaw that 'all' students should meet all standards, including those in special ed., the chronically absent, those that move from place to place, and those where English is not spoken at home or are very recent immigrants. Good teachers can help some of these students move faster, but cannot get them to 'grade level', yet that's what NCLB calls for, so many end up 'teaching to the test.'

I can imagine what a true pleasure it must be to have been a student in your classroom!

Emmett said:
I can imagine what a true pleasure it must be to have been a student in your classroom!
Why thank you! For some reason, at the beginning of the year the 6th graders are a bit intimidated by me. :laugh: By now though, they've caught on that if they do their part, I'll go nuts making sure they get what they need to know.

Now if only this 7th grade class would get with the program! I've had some tough kids in the past, but this is the first time the whole class is bad. Out of 22 kids: 3 do their homework, participate in class, and make an honest attempt to understand. The rest don't, to varying degrees.

Forum List

Back