Privatize % of SS ?

Some or all or none

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So they could take their money and have one big party and be left with nothing?

I would go along with you if it wasn't for the fact that many people would squander it and we would end up supporting them on welfare.

No more proof is needed to support that claim than to look in the basements and attics of the typical American house to see the piles of gizmos, gadgets, and other assorted crap that's accumulated over the years and doing nothing more than taking up space before it's hauled down to the curb on it's way to the landfill.

Not to mention the new car every other year and the giant fucking houses they were building until recently.
None of which is any of your business in the first place.

Absolutely not.

SSI is the ultimate safety net, designed to make sure that if you screw up..you still can salvage your life in your "Golden" years.

It should never ever be messed with.

How do you come to the ultimate safety net conclusion? It's been "messed with" for years by Congress (both parties) "borrowing" from the SS trust and spending it on whatever other projects their little hearts desired ... and those "loans" have never been repaid to SS.

Add to that the fact baby boomers (our largest generation) produced fewer children of their own who would ultimately enter the workforce - and that has resulted in less money going into SS funds.

And there are other factors in play that have had and still have an effect on SS funds.

That's a myth.

I would go along with you if it wasn't for the fact that many people would squander it and we would end up supporting them on welfare.

No more proof is needed to support that claim than to look in the basements and attics of the typical American house to see the piles of gizmos, gadgets, and other assorted crap that's accumulated over the years and doing nothing more than taking up space before it's hauled down to the curb on it's way to the landfill.

Not to mention the new car every other year and the giant fucking houses they were building until recently.

What's it to you??? You should tend to your own affairs and quit sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

That's exactly right. A good question would be "How many who have the ability actually invest their money? Or do they go out and spend it on things?"

As sad as it sounds many people need to be protected from themselves. And if you took SS out of it you would be supporting them on welfare.

This is such absurd BS, I am honestly sitting here shaking my head. Are you REALLY trying to argue that we SHOULD depend on our Federal Government to take our money from us for our own good????:eusa_eh:

No it isn't.

Obviously, "too stupid to breathe" was for affect, but literally, isn't that your arguement? That the Federal Government needs to protect us from ourselves, so you are all for them taking our money?

Whether you want to believe it or not there are people too dumb or poor or who, through no fault of their own loses everything. And for them SS, which in reality is a type of insurance plan is a saving grace.

And guess what? For that it's working as planned.

"Social Security benefits play a vital role in reducing poverty. Without Social Security, according to the latest available Census data (for 2008), 19.8 million more Americans would be poor."

Social Security Keeps 20 Million Americans Out of Poverty: — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

lets cut right to the chase and get past the questions as to HOW to let the gov. manage MY money....I am not YOUR nanny? see? And I don't want to be YOUR nanny, and I don't want YOU or anyone being mine.....its rough *^ &)*#%$! life out there pal, you are not guaranteed shit......do you get that at all?

However-

I am ALLLLLLLLLLL for helping the helpless....seriously..

BUT...

the clueless???

sorry charlie, its a jungle out there......in the immortal words of Calvera'

at exactly 1:57 mark...........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Kgn6J7SjA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

“If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep.”

the clueless are not helpless, they take their chances out there just like me.....

Last edited:
Absolutely not.

SSI is the ultimate safety net, designed to make sure that if you screw up..you still can salvage your life in your "Golden" years.

It should never ever be messed with.

How do you come to the ultimate safety net conclusion? It's been "messed with" for years by Congress (both parties) "borrowing" from the SS trust and spending it on whatever other projects their little hearts desired ... and those "loans" have never been repaid to SS.

Add to that the fact baby boomers (our largest generation) produced fewer children of their own who would ultimately enter the workforce - and that has resulted in less money going into SS funds.

And there are other factors in play that have had and still have an effect on SS funds.

That's a myth.

whats a myth?

So how do we continue paying benefits to the 53 million+ that depend on those benefits. Once the fund is gone, benefits would have to be paid out FICA payroll taxes which would be reduce by funds going into private investment.
Sell all the land that the feds have glommed onto and use those funds to pay off those who've been scammed with the SS Ponzi scheme.

Problem solved.

Cant have that land in private hands, what would we do with out all those great forest fires ?

It is absolutely none of your business how other people spend their money. The only time anyone has any right to define how people should spend their money is if that money is from welfare.

SS was never meant to be a pension. Current workers are supporting current retirees. Here's my suggestion to fix it. We need to admit to ourselves that all SS is, is welfare for people that didn't squirrel away enough nuts for the winter of their life. So only poor people need collect. And by poor, I mean people who won't survive without it. If you make SS good enough to be comfortable, people will lose the incentive to save for their retirement, so it needs to only be good enough for survival, not comfort.

Then, with the benefits so drastically cut (because most people won't qualify to collect a red cent from it), we should reduce our FICA taxes to a really low level to support it, since it shouldn't take much taxes at that point to keep it going. Yes, that means most of us don't get to see any benefits, but at least our taxes can be cut now and our take-home pay increased.

This will also shrink the size of government, which I like.

You support allowing people to invest some or all of the SS payments into private account?

As long as it is by choice and not by mandate. It is their money, they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it. Including, but not limited to, leaving it where it is.

I would maybe agree with this but putting a sure thing into something extremely risky like the stock market is not a smart plan.

SS was never meant to be a pension. Current workers are supporting current retirees. Here's my suggestion to fix it. We need to admit to ourselves that all SS is, is welfare for people that didn't squirrel away enough nuts for the winter of their life. So only poor people need collect. And by poor, I mean people who won't survive without it. If you make SS good enough to be comfortable, people will lose the incentive to save for their retirement, so it needs to only be good enough for survival, not comfort.

Then, with the benefits so drastically cut (because most people won't qualify to collect a red cent from it), we should reduce our FICA taxes to a really low level to support it, since it shouldn't take much taxes at that point to keep it going. Yes, that means most of us don't get to see any benefits, but at least our taxes can be cut now and our take-home pay increased.

Fuck off. I am not paying into yet another 'save the incompetent' fund. You want SS, fine, pay into it. I won't need it so I shouldn't have to pay. See how that works? You keep yours. I'll keep mine. Fair, that is.

It is absolutely none of your business how other people spend their money. The only time anyone has any right to define how people should spend their money is if that money is from welfare.

I don't give a shit how people spend their money. If they want to buy a lot of crap at the expense of a comfortable retirement, that's their business.

Just don't come crying to me for a handout when they can't work anymore.

So you want to be a facist by controlling what people do with the money given? Please thats not capitalism. And you don't think lobbyist for certain companies would shape legislation of that to their companies making it not a free market capitalism?

But yeah I'm the facist, I actually believe that people should spend whatever money they receive on whatever they want. You know the free market. :cuckoo:

I don't give a shit how people spend their money. If they want to buy a lot of crap at the expense of a comfortable retirement, that's their business.

I can guarantee you I will never ask the government for a hand out. If everyone else could do likewise, that would be helpful.

I can guarantee you I will never ask the government for a hand out. If everyone else could do likewise, that would be helpful.

That's an unrealistic expectation.

You support allowing people to invest some or all of the SS payments into private account?

NO. We pretty much already did that will 401K's and Keogh, etc.
the market will just harvest the portion "invested" as it does now with other "investments".
The the gummit would just bail out the SS investments.
So the only difference would be that the market made money off of it and taxpayers paid for it outside of the SS "contributions".

My! You are racking thank yous today, mine among them.

Fuck off. I am not paying into yet another 'save the incompetent' fund. You want SS, fine, pay into it. I won't need it so I shouldn't have to pay. See how that works? You keep yours. I'll keep mine. Fair, that is.

I'd agree in a perfect world. Using your logic, we should get rid of all welfare, unemployment benefits, food stamps, housing, etc. We've been grudgingly accepting that some people can't manage their lives and money, so have various welfare plans.

But Social Security is currently set up as welfare for everybody, including the rich. No wonder we can't afford this expensive system. Under my proposal, we can at least shrink this vastly huge welfare-for-everybody system.

Yes personally, I guess I'd be okay with abolishing the whole thing. Zero benefit and zero taxes. But we'll have old people starving to death, and society will never accept that, hence my compromise proposal above.

Social Security payments should be placed in a locked box away from the greedy hands of legislators, banksters and Wall Street tycoons. It should be invested in safe and well regulated accounts earning low but secure interest.
The crooks and liars see social security as a gold mine to be plundered, and the crooks and liars don't care if the aged and infirm live out their lives selling apples on the streets.
Banksters and Brokers provide little and take lots. Payments into social security should not be capped.

And once again its social SECURITY. It is there to help senior citizens live past their retirement. To have money once their private companies throws them out for being too old that they can have a chance to collect what they paid into. And Minimum wage workers put barely anything into it and they can't live like that so they have to always work. They should have the chance to retire. Seriously its not that much each year. Lots of short sighted people that wouldn't be like that to their own grandparents.

Forum List

Back