Private insurance companies have been doing very well

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
The performance of private insurance companies has been up over the past twenty years. In the 90's the % of gross income going to executive compensation and profits (for the share holder) was 5%. Currently it is closer to 20%. That meand funds going to care went from 95% to 80%. They are doing exactly what they are suppose to do as a private corporation, maximize profits for the share holder.

Providing access to health care to as many as possible at an affordable price will not maximize profits. The services provided are a secondary goal.
That is why the private insures find ways to not insure the higher risk individuals. They do not create large insurance pools that would spread the risk and provide affordable insurance to as many as possible because that would reduce profits.
To those that meet their risk profile they will provide excellent coverage.

That is the problem with our current system.

I feel there is a place for private corporations but there needs to be regulation like public utilities. Access and care are mandated.
I have my own small company. I work with many large manufacturers. All very good companies. They have been forced in this economy to make drastic moves to maintain their profitability. It is one thing to do that in the manufacturer of hard goods. I don't want that done wityh healthcare.

isn't the point of a publicly traded company (or any company for that matter) to make a profit and minimize risk and loss.....

isn't the point of a publicly traded company (or any company for that matter) to make a profit and minimize risk and loss.....

Sure it is. Maybe that's why healthcare shouldn't be entirely private sector - when profits in the private sector come entirely from people's claims being refused.

New Topics

Forum List

Back