Private health insurance not banned on page 16 of the House bill

"Jennifer Tolbert, the foundation's principal policy analyst, told us that Page 16 doesn't outlaw private insurance. "There will be individual policies available, but people will buy those policies through the national health insurance exchange," she said."

If you have to go through a government "exchange" instead of being able to shop the open market for a policy, it is no longer private.

"Jennifer Tolbert, the foundation's principal policy analyst, told us that Page 16 doesn't outlaw private insurance. "There will be individual policies available, but people will buy those policies through the national health insurance exchange," she said."

If you have to go through a government "exchange" instead of being able to shop the open market for a policy, it is no longer private.

Did you even take the time to look up what it is?

http://www.orthosupersite.com/view.asp?rid=31812

A National Health Insurance Exchange would help individuals who want to purchase private insurance plans. Participants in the exchange would be able to change jobs with no risk of losing their coverage. Those who sign up for the national health plan or private insurance would not be rejected because of pre-existing conditions or other restrictions, according to the Obama site.

Edit: Currently getting a even more detailed link.

Last edited:
Here is that more detailed link I said I was going to find:

Understanding the National Health Insurance Exchange - Legislation Articles

It is a mechanism that facilitates the buying, selling and administration of private health insurance. The concept is compared to a stock exchange or a farmer’s market which bring buyers and sellers together.”

The Washington Post reported on a study done by the Commonwealth Fund,
which found that 92 percent of healthcare experts favor allowing Americans unable to get healthcare insurance through their companies or Medicaid the opportunity to purchase insurance through a national health insurance exchange.

Again, I'd suggest knowing what you're commenting on before saying what you think it is.

Tell me please.. Will I be able to buy a private insurance policy OUTSIDE of the government exchange?

PolitiFact | Private health insurance not banned on page 16 of the House bill

I've heard this myth being spread around this board constantly lately about how Obama is going to ban private health insurance.

Well, PolitiFact also got a lot of emails on the issue and did some investigating themselves. They found it to be a Pants on Fire ruling, the biggest wrong you can get in their ratings.

:eusa_whistle:

And they obviously don't understand the meaning of "grandfathered".

Tell me please.. Will I be able to buy a private insurance policy OUTSIDE of the government exchange?

I have no crystal ball, so I'm unable to tell you. Especially since this is not even by far the final bill, and plenty of things will be changed.

You seem to not get the fact that all companies may they be private or public must still follow a set of rules. The ones on the NYSE just have to follow more rules in being more transparent than the ones that stay private such as Subway.

In the current form, The National Health Insurance Exchange is something similar to that except it's all private health insurance companies. I'm not sure how they get into this, although I assume they must follow a preset of rules. (Such as not disallowing people because of pre-existing conditions, or not kicking them off because of that or something along the lines of that. So down the road, the company can't screw you over.)

Last edited:
And there you have it....You really have absolutely no idea what you're defending.

Fuck you and you're dishonesty in taking my posts out of context. Anybody who reads the full post knows I was referring to the final bill while I'm talking about the current form they have.

I have no crystal ball, so I'm unable to tell you. Especially since this is not even by far the final bill, and plenty of things will be changed.

You seem to not get the fact that all companies may they be private or public must still follow a set of rules. The ones on the NYSE just have to follow more rules in being more transparent than the ones that stay private such as Subway.

The National Health Insurance Exchange is something similar to that except it's all private health insurance companies. I'm not sure how they get into this, although I assume they must follow a preset of rules. (Such as not disallowing people because of pre-existing conditions, or not kicking them off because of that or something along the lines of that. So down the road, the company can't screw you over.)

You don't need a crystal ball to be able to read the language in the bill we've been discussing. Tha answer would seem to be no. Understand.. if the government forces all supposed private insurers in the "exchange", then those companies have lost their autonomy. The law as written would force me to only buy from a business in the exchange, therefore disallowing any new customers to insurers that don't want to join the exchange. ANd who do you think will be making the rules for the exchange? You can bet it won't be the insurance agencies.

And there you have it....You really have absolutely no idea what you're defending.

Fuck you and you're dishonesty in taking my posts out of context. Anybody who reads the full post knows I was referring to the final bill while I'm talking about the current form they have.
They're your words, pal.....I took nothing out of context.

You have no idea what you're defending, because a lot of it hasn't even been written yet.

You're defending it because you're a leftist ideologue, plain and simple.

And...oh yeah....Fuck you too.

You don't need a crystal ball to be able to read the language in the bill we've been discussing. Tha answer would seem to be no. Understand.. if the government forces all supposed private insurers in the "exchange", then those companies have lost their autonomy. The law as written would force me to only buy from a business in the exchange, therefore disallowing any new customers to insurers that don't want to join the exchange. ANd who do you think will be making the rules for the exchange? You can bet it won't be the insurance agencies.

Actually, you can bet that all the insurance agencies will be apart of it. Do you seriously think that all these companies won't be? Stop deluding yourself, it's dishonest.

Are you kidding me? Do you seriously want the fucking insurance agencies to be making the rules for the exchange? What's next? Wall Street making their own rules on what's legal and not legal in lending? Why not just give the keys to all the doors in the prison to the prison while you're at it. Meanwhile, the guards can just sit back and do nothing. :rolleyes:

You have no idea what you're defending, because a lot of it hasn't even been written yet.

I'm debating and taking my side on the issue of what is currently present for facts. Everybody does the same thing for everything else. For example, nobody knew how the Iraq war was going to turn out, but people took sides based on the facts.

Keep on categorizing me, and throwing around personal insults. However, even that you're not good at. You took my post out of context by not posting the entire thing.

I'm debating and taking my side on the issue of what is currently present for facts. Everybody does the same thing for everything else. For example, nobody knew how the Iraq war was going to turn out, but people took sides based on the facts.

Keep on categorizing me, and throwing around personal insults. However, even that you're not good at. You took my post out of context by not posting the entire thing.
The fact is that there is no finished bill....Which , even if it is finished by the time there is a vote, nearly nobody voting for it will have read it.

If you don't want to be "categorized" as a leftist ideologue, quit acting like one.

And, FWIW, saying that you have NFI what you're defending, when what you're defending isn't even but in its draft form, isn't name-calling.....it's the truth.

Grow a skin or go outside and play with your Hackey Sack.

No, I don't want insurance companies to make the rules for the exchange because I don't think there should BE an exchange. Our government has no right to tell insurance companies who they have to cover and what coverage they have to offer. Do you not see a problem with this? I know you're young, but good grief learn to step up and protect your freedoms before you find them gone. You're exchanging your freedoms for a handful of magic beans.

No, I don't want insurance companies to make the rules for the exchange because I don't think there should BE an exchange. Our government has no right to tell insurance companies who they have to cover and what coverage they have to offer. Do you not see a problem with this? I know you're young, but good grief learn to step up and protect your freedoms before you find them gone. You're exchanging your freedoms for a handful of magic beans.

So the Government shouldn't tell insurance companies to stop throwing you off your insurance because you just got cancer? Cause you know, they assign someone to your case if you get cancer to try and get you thrown off. They get better grades for the more people they get thrown off, and the more money they save for the company.

What freedom do we have now for the insurance company? Freedom to choose which one gets to fuck me up the ass? Sounds dandy, does one offer lube over the other? :eusa_eh:

You act like we actually have some sort of rights in this country, we don't. Go look up what Lincoln did during the Civil War, or what FDR did to Japanese Americans during WWII, or what happened to several Arabs after 9/11. Rights/Freedoms aren't Rights/Freedoms if they can be taken away. They're mere privileges which we're granted at the present moment so we can act like good little sheep and go about our days.

Try to get health insurance with a pre-existing condition or try to keep one after you find out you have a pre-existing condition. Whether the Government gets involved or not, I'm simply stating things NEED to change. Not that they should change, but need to.

Health Premiums have increased by more than double in the last ten years. In that same time span, the drug lobby has spent over $1 billion in lobbying Congress and Presidential Candidates. Over that same amount of time, health insurance profits have skyrocketed to a point, but they still jack up the prices because they always want a little more.

You may want to keep the status quo, and want more of the same. This young person has seen the past, and the present, and doesn't like it one bit. This current path is one filled with peril not only for the average American but just about every American. We have a tendency in this country to ignore problems until they get so big that it becomes a crisis of sorts (AIDS is a great example). We are at a hour of time and at a place in history where in this country we can truly change things. Will it happen? Probably not. Too much fear mongering and lobbying for anything to truly get done short of a miracle.

I don't really see anything happening with this bill at the present moment because it will be watered down like most things in Congress to a shell of it's former self. Where they will all pat themselves on the back on a job well done while nothing gets done, and more people are driven to the poor house because of health costs. Go look at the bankruptcy numbers, and then look at this:

http://www.bankruptcyhome.com/top10reasons.html

#4 on the list, a indicator of how bad health care prices have gotten. A system where people have to choose between keeping a thumb or a finger if it gets chopped off because of the price. It's not worth living if you're a slave to debt for the rest of your life.

To quote Howard Beale from the movie Network, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore". You should get mad too. This is a grave injustice on our society by the fact alone that this has gone on this far. The debate about Universal Health Care has been going on since Roosevelt, TEDDY Roosevelt for that matter who supported it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok]YouTube - Mad As Hell ...[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back