~Prisoners Voting~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Do you think prisoners should be given the right to vote??
I read an article where they were going to start letting prisoners in the UK vote.
Do you think it will hit the USA??
What are your thoughts??

I read an article where they were going to start letting prisoners in the UK vote.
What are your thoughts??

in this country, if you are convicted of a felony, you lose the right to vote. that seems appropriate. i think after a certain amount of time, they can petition to have their vote reinstated.

No.
Voting is a priviledge.

!!!!
No the hell it is not.
Voting is a RIGHT!
However, you cede certain rights when you commit crimes against others. No, while incarcerated, prisoners should not have the right to vote. Once the debt is paid and they are free, then they should get that right returned.

What are your thoughts??

in this country, if you are convicted of a felony, you lose the right to vote. that seems appropriate. i think after a certain amount of time, they can petition to have their vote reinstated.
Depends where you live. In some places, it's automatic.

Are y'all serious? Prisoners can't vote?? Society needs prisoners. People look down on prisoners but really what makes us better than them? I've done two stints in prison and one in juvy and you know what? Who cares. I've made mistakes but I should still be allowed to vote and I don't appreciate y'all mugwumps and hinyegers acting all high and mighty.

I think the UK is in a position where they are just afraid to say no to anyone, that country is right on the brink of allowing Shariah law anyways. I think once prisoners do their time they should be allowed to vote but not when they are still behind bars.

Clearly Betsy Hamilton up here has never been to prison. His mum and pup paid his way free

While incarcerated and convicted of a felony, no. Once released from prison they should have the right reinstated. I have a problem with people paying taxes and not being able to vote for the people who levy those taxes. Wasn't that part of what we fought the Brits for?

The problem with having inmates (incarcerated offenders) vote is that the locality where they are located would have their local elections influenced unduly by convicts. Some of these areas are lightly populated and therefore the politicians would have to go to the prison and lobby them for votes. This could lead to some interesting local ordinances.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts??

I believe that they should be allowed.

1- The great majority of prisoners have been "convicted" unconstitutionally for acts which are not crimes

2- Our rights are supposed to be UNALIENABLE - not subject to majority rule - well that is no longer the case . Powerful factions are always seeking to prevent religious, ethnic , political and racial minorities from exercising their rights.

While incarcerated and convicted of a felony, no. Once released from prison they should have the right reinstated. I have a problem with people paying taxes and not being able to vote for the people who levy those taxes. Wasn't that part of what we fought the Brits for?

The problem with having inmates (incarcerated offenders) vote is that the locality where they are located would have their local elections influenced unduly by convicts. Some of these areas are lightly populated and therefore the politicians would have to go to the prison and lobby them for votes. This could lead to some interesting local ordinances.

It would be interesting because every prisoner would vote for whatever candidate that particular set or gang leader tells them to vote for, this would mean candidates appealing to prison gangs for votes basically, guys like the Vice Lords and Mexican Mafia, nice.

Are y'all serious? Prisoners can't vote?? Society needs prisoners. People look down on prisoners but really what makes us better than them? I've done two stints in prison and one in juvy and you know what? Who cares. I've made mistakes but I should still be allowed to vote and I don't appreciate y'all mugwumps and hinyegers acting all high and mighty.

Who you calling a mugwump??..and wtf is a mugwump anyway?? :lol:

No.
Voting is a priviledge.

!!!!
No the hell it is not.
Voting is a RIGHT!
However, you cede certain rights when you commit crimes against others. No, while incarcerated, prisoners should not have the right to vote. Once the debt is paid and they are free, then they should get that right returned.

interestingly, voting is *not* a right. it should be, but it isn't. it is, in fact, considered a privilege, although i've always thought the difference between a right and a privilege, in many instances, is a distinction without a difference.

but no, sadly, they never passed a voters' rights act, iirc.

No.
Voting is a priviledge.

!!!!
No the hell it is not.
Voting is a RIGHT!

interestingly, voting is *not* a right. it should be, but it isn't. it is, in fact, considered a privilege, although i've always thought the difference between a right and a privilege, in many instances, is a distinction without a difference.

you are of course correct. This is why 3 seperate COTUS amendments have had to be passed to grant voting to certain segments of the population. One will notice that is not the case with any right.

Should voting be a right? Nope, because that was NEVER the father's intent. They were actually quite particular in who they considered to be eligible voters. Damn sure pickier than we are today.

Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote
shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

!!!!
No the hell it is not.
Voting is a RIGHT!

you are of course correct. This is why 3 seperate COTUS amendments have had to be passed to grant voting to certain segments of the population. One will notice that is not the case with any right.

Should voting be a right? Nope, because that was NEVER the father's intent. They were actually quite particular in who they considered to be eligible voters. Damn sure pickier than we are today.
No.
Voting is a priviledge.

!!!!
No the hell it is not.
Voting is a RIGHT!

Interesting insight into the minds of brain and jillian. I often chuckle at the general view of the constitution here because people are always looking at the document in its original form. A form that is not whole and no longer exists. Just a FYI for all of you that do so: there have been additions and subtractions that are as important and core to what it is to be an American as the original bill of rights is.

The founders were picky about who was allowed to vote mainly because they believed in an aristocracy that lead the people. Don’t forget that this was also in a time when large portions of individuals could not read, education was based on status and targeted to what your options would be. That system may have worked then even though it is inherently incorrect but it is downright incomprehensible today. Of note is that the framers also allowed slavery whether or not you believe they supported it. There is also the fact that the framers never had any intention that a woman EVER be able to vote. Both of those are no longer the case.

Last edited:

!!!!
No the hell it is not.
Voting is a RIGHT!

Interesting insight into the minds of brain and jillian. I often chuckle at the general view of the constitution here because people are always looking at the document in its original form. A form that is not whole and no longer exists. Just a FYI for all of you that do so: there have been additions and subtractions that are as important and core to what it is to be an American as the original bill of rights are.

The founders were picky about who was allowed to vote mainly because they believed in an aristocracy that lead the people. Don’t forget that this was also in a time when large portions of individuals could not read, education was based on status and targeted to what your options would be. That system may have worked then even though it is inherently incorrect but it is downright incomprehensible today. Of note is that the framers also allowed slavery whether or not you believe they supported it. There is also the fact that the framers never had any intention that a woman EVER be able to vote. Both of those are no longer the case.

Oh, I'm not saying that the situations are directly comparable. I am merely stating that their INTENT wasn't for everyone to vote.

I think I could make a pretty valid argument that the general population today while being more educated, is dumber than the general population back then to but that's another thread.

shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

The 15th merely guarantees that no one will be turned down base on color , or past slavery. NO ONE actually has the right to vote.

Congressman Jesse L. Jackson, Jr.: Do Americans Have The Right To Vote?

One would think if that were the intent of the fathers they would have included it in the top10.

The 15th merely guarantees that no one will be turned down base on color , or past slavery. NO ONE actually has the right to vote.

Congressman Jesse L. Jackson, Jr.: Do Americans Have The Right To Vote?

One would think if that were the intent of the fathers they would have included it in the top10.

James Madison - THE FATHER OF THE CONSTITUTION (1787) CONSIDERED VOTING a RIGHT.

Forum List

Back