Prison sentence for Costa Rica park ranger raises questions about on-the-job protections

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
UPDATE: Thursday, Sept. 3, 6:00 p.m.

Criminal lawyer Juan Diego Castro said Thursday afternoon that he was reconsidering representing soon-to-be-jailed park ranger Mauricio Steller against attempted murder charges after it came to light that Steller is under investigation for alleged drug trafficking.

Steller was arrested in January 2013 for allegedly selling cocaine that he found in the mountains while working for the Environment Ministry, online news outlet crhoy.com reported at the time. Then director of the Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) Francisco Segura told crhoy.com at the time that Steller’s drug trafficking activities were related to the murder of Steller’s father, Rodrigo Steller Jiménez, on a farm between Osa and Golfito in August 2012. Two other people were murdered along with Rodrigo Steller.

Mauricio Steller told The Tico Times that he is innocent. “I’m calm,” he said.

Castro’s claims that his client wasn’t forthcoming about his previous run-in with the law made him doubt whether to continue representing Steller. Still, Castro said he thought the park ranger was innocent of attempted murder.

“I have no doubt, when I read the case file, that Mauricio Steller was wrongly convicted of murder,” Castro said in a video he sent to The Tico Times. Castro said he was waiting for more details in order to make a decision in the coming hours on whether to continue representing Steller.

Prison sentence for Costa Rica park ranger raises questions about on-the-job protections -

It looks like this guy is getting jacked around all over the place.

Forum List

Back