Prison Reform....And Psychiatric Hospitals

I'm for bringing back Mental Hospitals almost exactly like they were. No shock therapy and abuse, though.

A sizable chunk of what goes to the jails/prisons could be used for it, because they're there anyway.

Crazy covers a lot. You can have a harmless psychotic, a homicidal maniac, and a lightbulb whisperer, they all need to be in different wards. Right now they're just all in jail. Mental Hospitals worked well for around a century or more.

The tragic irony of shutting them down is that the alternative is so much worse. Because the alternative has been prison and homelessness. Which one liberal poster here has not minded too much, anyway.

So you are just being selfish, you do not want any kids in your class that are disorderly. I have a niece in law and she has a masters (daddy paid for her school) and she has classes of broken home kids (she continually bitches about them, yet she makes big bucks), see you need to go back to childhood with most of these kids.

Penny you're one of the most small-minded people I have ever encountered--witness you whining about your nephew's wife here--and you project this on everyone else. Your niece's nice job and money is just something for YOU to envy. The students in my class I worry about are just a pain for ME to deal with. You you you you you it's all about Penny, so to Penny, everyone else must be selfish too.

IOW Penny doesn't like Jews so the Holocaust didn't happen.

Just buzz off, Penny.

Its small minded to think WWII was only about the jews. You are here complaining about your job in Public Schools. My niece in law obsessively complains about her job as well.

Maybe you both should not be teachers in K-12. Since you teach the same lessons year after year the biggest challenge to you teachers are how to make your students interested. Then you get several weeks in the summer and 2 at Xmas to think about it. spoiled brats.

Quote me where I was "complaining about my job" Penny. Go back and find that, and quote it. Bottom line: liberalism works for you because you're just envious of anyone who has more than you do, which is a terrible way to live. Evidence of your small-mindedness: We "teach the same lessons year after year". As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote me where I was "complaining about my job" Penny. Go back and find that, and quote it. Bottom line: liberalism works for you because you're just envious of anyone who has more than you do, which is a terrible way to live. Evidence of your small-mindedness: We "teach the same lessons year after year". As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

I've seen some of your work product from the Public Schools. If you didn't have a union, you'd all be fired.

I'm for bringing back Mental Hospitals almost exactly like they were. No shock therapy and abuse, though.

A sizable chunk of what goes to the jails/prisons could be used for it, because they're there anyway.

Crazy covers a lot. You can have a harmless psychotic, a homicidal maniac, and a lightbulb whisperer, they all need to be in different wards. Right now they're just all in jail. Mental Hospitals worked well for around a century or more.

The tragic irony of shutting them down is that the alternative is so much worse. Because the alternative has been prison and homelessness. Which one liberal poster here has not minded too much, anyway.

So you are just being selfish, you do not want any kids in your class that are disorderly. I have a niece in law and she has a masters (daddy paid for her school) and she has classes of broken home kids (she continually bitches about them, yet she makes big bucks), see you need to go back to childhood with most of these kids.

Penny you're one of the most small-minded people I have ever encountered--witness you whining about your nephew's wife here--and you project this on everyone else. Your niece's nice job and money is just something for YOU to envy. The students in my class I worry about are just a pain for ME to deal with. You you you you you it's all about Penny, so to Penny, everyone else must be selfish too.

Just buzz off, Penny.

Its small minded to think WWII was only about the jews. You are here complaining about your job in Public Schools. My niece in law obsessively complains about her job as well.

Maybe you both should not be teachers in K-12. Since you teach the same lessons year after year the biggest challenge to you teachers are how to make your students interested. Then you get several weeks in the summer and 2 at Xmas to think about it. spoiled brats.

I have been a public school teacher since the early 90s. If you haven't yet heard, take it from me--the stuff we are seeing EVERYwhere now...we can hardly believe it. Children running out of schools left and right. Total meltdowns. Crises everywhere. Behavioral, mental, you name it. It's an epidemic. We have to think of this now because in a few years.....

Boredom is the biggest challenge in schools, but now they have the internet.

Its the job of the teacher to make school interesting. They should not be well paid babysitters.

Last edited:
The time is coming, and soon, when we are going to have to decide if we want prisons to house our critically mentally ill, or if we want psychiatric hospitals and long-term care facilities to do it.

We are doing the best we can in the K-12 schools with the explosion--and I do mean explosion--of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in the last 5-10 years. But we can barely keep a lid on all that's going on, and if we had anything like a real media in this nation, you would be hearing about the violence that happens every day, in every school I know about, including preschools. Yes, preschools.

Many of these children are labeled "special needs", and that's not invalid. But the law doesn't care if you're special needs and you assault someone, especially once you turn 18. Unless something changes and fast, these people WILL end up in the penal system. Once there: are they going to end up in prison systems, or are we going to open up better facilities?

Should We Bring Back Public Psychiatric Hospitals?

Yes. Yes, we need to bring them back ASAP.

Long term care and possibly lifelong care. I can tell you horror stories. I have seen people in psych wards that went in and are violent and then are arrested after becoming violent. The holy hell is that?

In home care? The mother in her 60s trying to control the daughter in her 30s that is wielding knives in a psychotic break. The therapist in her 20s that comes out once a week is telling the daughter to ignore the mom and she needs to learn how to make her own decisions.....to live independently. Stops coming to the home because of the aggression and now wants the daughter to come to the office to tell her to make her own decisions, ignore mom and she needs to live independently.

Here is the deal and people need to get real used to this...........there is no profit to be made here. None. But, you will stop paying out in other areas. Consider the amount of money that is spent from the time of arrest, incarceration at jail, money spent on the judge, to be released when they are found to be unfit back on the street and then repeat until they wind up in prison. That's not counting the cost of the number of people that are harmed and require medical care through out that trip.

I am not even thinking of just dx like psychosis, but severe autism. This is very sad and I feel, believe me, for families affected by this. But adults with autism who have violent meltdowns are often very violent and VERY strong. They can be dangerous to themselves and others. They should NOT be in prison. They SHOULD be in well-run and homes with much oversight. It becomes too much, and very quickly, to expect parents to become 24/7 caretakers of these most severe cases.

I have a friend of mine that has a severely autistic son that is now in his mid 20s. She lives outside of Chicago and is technically in Indiana. I have known him since he was 15. She is almost 60 now. He was in public education but went to a completely different building where they worked with him so he didn't have to deal with the chaos of mainstream kids. By the age of 17 he was physically a grown man. He was able to attend school until 21.

She had tried to get him into a group home because he would beat the living bejeezes out of her. She would try to get him into a psych ward but he was not admitted because he didn't meet the criteria. Well, now she is in a situation where she is looking at how much longer on the planet she is going to be around and there is no one else that is willing or able to care for him. These are the things that parents struggle with. Don't wanna do it but cannot continue.

No one wants to talk about so much in our society and this is just one of them. Sadly.

So, yep, he would have been in the public schools 15 years ago. Autism had exploded then and has continued to explode--but now, added with all kinds of other behavior disorders than come with violent manifestations. Eventually he will go violent on someone other than his mother, he will be charged and imprisoned. Or at least this is a strong possibility.

We have to do better. If no other argument will persuade people, for the costs alone.

There is a strong possibility he could become violent with someone else. 90% percent of the time he does ok as long as he is in his routine. He eats chicken noodle soup every day for lunch. Every day. He eats a specific cereal for breakfast every day. The problem is that while the rest of us have to alter routine he has difficulty doing it. Different worlds.

People truly aren't interested in the cost. In fact, a great deal of time is spent on distracting from the issue itself as we can see on this thread.

Just buzz off, Penny.

I have been a public school teacher since the early 90s. If you haven't yet heard, take it from me--the stuff we are seeing EVERYwhere now...we can hardly believe it. Children running out of schools left and right. Total meltdowns. Crises everywhere. Behavioral, mental, you name it. It's an epidemic. We have to think of this now because in a few years.....

Its the job of the teacher to make school interesting. They should not be well paid babysitters.

That's not the topic. Is there any reason in particular that you can't manage to focus on the topic?

There is a strong possibility he could become violent with someone else. 90% percent of the time he does ok as long as he is in his routine. He eats chicken noodle soup every day for lunch. Every day. He eats a specific cereal for breakfast every day. The problem is that while the rest of us have to alter routine he has difficulty doing it. Different worlds.

People truly aren't interested in the cost. In fact, a great deal of time is spent on distracting from the issue itself as we can see on this thread.

Actually, most of us are very interested in the cost... as in we don't want to pay it. Not only for the mental hospitals we can't afford, but the litigation that will follow when every teen and young adult starts suing the state for wrongful incarceration.

Just buzz off, Penny.

That's not the topic. Is there any reason in particular that you can't manage to focus on the topic?

Sure it is, from the OP:
We are doing the best we can in the K-12 schools with the explosion--and I do mean explosion--of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in the last 5-10 years. But we can barely keep a lid on all that's going on, and if we had anything like a real media in this nation, you would be hearing about the violence that happens every day, in every school I know about, including preschools. Yes, preschools.

Many of these children are labeled "special needs", and that's not invalid. But the law doesn't care if you're special needs and you assault someone, especially once you turn 18. Unless something changes and fast, these people WILL end up in the penal system. Once there: are they going to end up in prison systems, or are we going to open up better facilities?

Is there any reason you don't want to address the real topic at hand?

Just buzz off, Penny.

Sure it is, from the OP:

You mean special needs children that are often mainstreamed when they shouldn't be? The para that is bit and kicked in contained class rooms? Wandering off the premises? Melt downs? Cognitive disabilities? Mental illness and the inability to obtain treatment?

Recognition that this isn't the 50s and 60s where you kept your children in the basement and they didn't attend school? Can you not handle the topic?

Sure it is, from the OP:

You mean special needs children that are often mainstreamed when they shouldn't be? The para that is bit and kicked in contained class rooms? Wandering off the premises? Melt downs? Cognitive disabilities? Mental illness and the inability to obtain treatment?

Recognition that this isn't the 50s and 60s where you kept your children in the basement and they didn't attend school? Can you not handle the topic?

Yes they were many drop outs in later days. That is true, and out of site, out of mind. Then they got in trouble and those are the ones in prisons today.

Maybe they need more gym classess.

Sure it is, from the OP:

Yes they were many drop outs in later days. That is true, and out of site, out of mind. Then they got in trouble and those are the ones in prisons today.

No. There is a mental health care crisis in the US. Has been for quite awhile. It's unfortunate that you lack knowledge on the topic.

The only other option here is that this topic is not about Trump and you don't want anyone to tackle any issue that has the capacity to draw attention and, subsequently, make demands to solve those issues. Distract, distract, distract.

Last edited:

Sure it is, from the OP:

No. There is a mental health care crisis in the US. Has been for quite awhile. It's unfortunate that you lack knowledge on the topic.

Oh when did it start??

Sure it is, from the OP:

Oh when did it start??

Depends on the state.
Are you seeking to shift responsibility? Did you want to go all the way back to deinstitutionalization? Or is there not enough Trump in that for you?

How will Penelope spin this shit today?

Last edited:
Sure it is, from the OP:

Oh when did it start??

Depends on the state.
Are you seeking to shift responsibility? Did you want to go all the way back to deinstitutionalization? Or is there not enough Trump in that for you?

I don't want to just take your word for it, do you have any statistics.

School corporal punishment in the United States - Wikipedia

Oh when did it start??

Depends on the state.

I don't want to just take your word for it, do you have any statistics.

School corporal punishment in the United States - Wikipedia
Corporal punishment is not the issue. Try again. Start researching.

Yet you want to take us back there, it seems.

Yes. Yes, we need to bring them back ASAP.

Long term care and possibly lifelong care. I can tell you horror stories. I have seen people in psych wards that went in and are violent and then are arrested after becoming violent. The holy hell is that?

In home care? The mother in her 60s trying to control the daughter in her 30s that is wielding knives in a psychotic break. The therapist in her 20s that comes out once a week is telling the daughter to ignore the mom and she needs to learn how to make her own decisions.....to live independently. Stops coming to the home because of the aggression and now wants the daughter to come to the office to tell her to make her own decisions, ignore mom and she needs to live independently.

Here is the deal and people need to get real used to this...........there is no profit to be made here. None. But, you will stop paying out in other areas. Consider the amount of money that is spent from the time of arrest, incarceration at jail, money spent on the judge, to be released when they are found to be unfit back on the street and then repeat until they wind up in prison. That's not counting the cost of the number of people that are harmed and require medical care through out that trip.

And if they commit crimes, they should go to jail.

But 17% of the population struggles with some kind of mental illness. Are we going to lock them all up.

The real problem, is that if you are a well-off crazy person, you get treatment, and if you are a poor crazy person, you end up on the streets or in prison.

But since we aren't going to fix the underlying problem, we sure aren't going to fix the side effect.

If you are well off then your relative goes to a mental health hospital in Europe because it doesn't exist in the States.

Don't be ludicrous. The article itself is not even suggesting a one size fits all approach.
False

Perhaps the explosion of violence among young people can in part be attributed to FORTY PERCENT of American kids being being raised by SINGLE mothers believing they alone have to skills to raise a FATHERLESS child maturing into a reasonably well adjusted teen and adult citizen?

Obama BULLIES VIOLENT CHILDREN.jpg
Peace.

Forum List

Back