Prison Economics Helped Drive Arizona Immigration Law

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Prison Economics Help Drive Ariz. Immigration Law : NPR

October 28, 2010
Last year, two men showed up in Benson, Ariz., a small desert town 60 miles from the Mexico border, offering a deal.

Glenn Nichols, the Benson city manager, remembers the pitch.

"The gentleman that's the main thrust of this thing has a huge turquoise ring on his finger," Nichols said. "He's a great big huge guy and I equated him to a car salesman."

What he was selling was a prison for women and children who were illegal immigrants.

"They talk [about] how positive this was going to be for the community," Nichols said, "the amount of money that we would realize from each prisoner on a daily rate."

But Nichols wasn't buying. He asked them how would they possibly keep a prison full for years — decades even — with illegal immigrants?

"They talked like they didn't have any doubt they could fill it," Nichols said.

That's because prison companies like this one had a plan — a new business model to lock up illegal immigrants. And the plan became Arizona's immigration law.
<more>

How about a 10,000 foot high water slide that will send an immigrant flying back across the Arizona border to somewhere near Mexico City?

October 28, 2010
Last year, two men showed up in Benson, Ariz., a small desert town 60 miles from the Mexico border, offering a deal.

"The gentleman that's the main thrust of this thing has a huge turquoise ring on his finger," Nichols said. "He's a great big huge guy and I equated him to a car salesman."

What he was selling was a prison for women and children who were illegal immigrants.

"They talk [about] how positive this was going to be for the community," Nichols said, "the amount of money that we would realize from each prisoner on a daily rate."

But Nichols wasn't buying. He asked them how would they possibly keep a prison full for years — decades even — with illegal immigrants?

That's because prison companies like this one had a plan — a new business model to lock up illegal immigrants. And the plan became Arizona's immigration law.
<more>

That's bullshit of course. But hey why not lock illegal aliens up in work camps for 2 years before we deport them?

Works for me!

October 28, 2010

<more>

That's bullshit of course. But hey why not lock illegal aliens up in work camps for 2 years before we deport them?

Works for me!
.....And, these private-prisons will be dependent-upon bake-sales, for their budget, huh??

:rolleyes:

October 28, 2010

<more>

Works for me!
.....And, these private-prisons will be dependent-upon bake-sales, for their budget, huh??

:rolleyes:

These work camps will be profit centers just like illegal immigration is a profit center for Americans who snub their nose at the law. "Work camps" not prisons.

NPR...'nuf said.

Will the same story become true if someone else reported ??

eh?

...careful...:lol:
This isn't bout me....The source has besmirched their credibility all by themselves.

They could declare Peter Schiff the next coming of Hayek and I'd suspect their motivations.

So list all the NPR stories you're familiar with that were later proven factually inaccurate.

btw,

anyone else finding it humorously ironic that Mr. Oddball, who rarely passes up an opportunity to flaunt his 'free market' plumage,

is in this case categorically rejecting the idea that a FOR PROFIT PRISON BUSINESS might have a serious financial interest in seeing the market for their FOR PROFIT PRISONS increase?

lol

eh?

This isn't bout me....The source has besmirched their credibility all by themselves.

They could declare Peter Schiff the next coming of Hayek and I'd suspect their motivations.

So list all the NPR stories you're familiar with that were later proven factually inaccurate.

btw,

anyone else finding it humorously ironic that Mr. Oddball, who rarely passes up an opportunity to flaunt his 'free market' plumage,

is in this case categorically rejecting the idea that a FOR PROFIT PRISON BUSINESS might have a serious financial interest in seeing the market for their FOR PROFIT PRISONS increase?

lol
That's NPR's story.

What makes them more credible to anyone else, than Fox is to you?

Lemmie guess......

NPR doesn't spin anything.......right?

eh?

btw,

anyone else finding it humorously ironic that Mr. Oddball, who rarely passes up an opportunity to flaunt his 'free market' plumage
Yeah....let's hear it for The Marketplace!!!

544.gif

Yeah. All economics. I am sure the kidnappings, crime, and the fact that there are 20 miles around the Southern Arizona Border that American citizens can't safely live in had absolutely nothing to do with it.

NPR...'nuf said.
How 'bout BusinessWeek??

March 17, 2011

"The private prison system runs parallel to the U.S. prisons and currently accounts for nearly 10 percent of U.S. state and federal inmates, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Those numbers rise and fall in response to specific policies, and CCA has been accused of lobbying for policies that would fill its cells—such as the increase in enforcement of regulations like the one that snagged Cardenas. Tougher policies have been good for CCA. Since the company started winning immigrant detention contracts in 2000, its stock has rebounded from about a dollar to $23.33, attracting investors such as William Ackman's Pershing Square Capital Management, which is now its largest shareholder.

CCA has current contracts with ICE and other federal clients, as well as 19 state prison systems. Its largest competitor, the Geo Group (GEO), is slightly smaller, and together they account for more than $3 billion in gross revenues annually. The next-largest player, MTC, is privately held and does not disclose numbers, but the industry as a whole grosses just under $5 billion per year.

CCA's opponents, such as human rights and pro-union groups, say the firm is run by amoral penny-pinchers who are in a business best left to the state because of the perverse incentives prison companies have to lobby the government to adopt policies that will increase America's already high rate of detention. When every prisoner is a daily $100 bill, say these opponents, you'll do everything you can to get as many of them as you can.

The demand for prison beds has increased for many reasons, not all related to immigration. Mandatory minimum sentencing laws and three-strikes rules helped expand the U.S. prison population from 200,000 to 2.2 million in the 40 years leading up to 2008, and the peak years of overcrowding in the 1980s and 1990s were a gold rush for private prisons. Other companies, such as the Geo Group (formerly Wackenhut), won separate contracts, largely with state prisons, but CCA remains the champion, controlling around half the private prison beds in the country.

The company has had lean years. In 1999 and 2000, CCA made a series of catastrophic decisions involving real estate trusts, and shares plunged from a high of $146 in 1997 to under a dollar in 2000. In the ensuing decade, as states faced budget shortfalls, the business experienced hiccups in its criminal detention business. "We're in unprecedented times," then-Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John D. Ferguson told investors in 2008, as the crunch became acute.

In 2010, National Public Radio reported that the company had lobbied successfully for the passage of Arizona Senate Bill 1070, which permits police to detain suspected illegal immigrants and bring them to a federal facility. According to the report, the controversial legislation was proposed by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), a group that brings together legislators and industry members like CCA. When Arizona's Senate passed the law, it created a potentially enormous new reservoir of civil detainees for CCA-operated ICE facilities."

btw,

lol
That's NPR's story.

What makes them more credible to anyone else, than Fox is to you?

Lemmie guess......

NPR doesn't spin anything.......right?

Sure, they probably "spin" some things, but wasn't there a recent study about whose viewers are the least informed? Fox was at the TOP of the list while NPR was at the bottom.

NPR is decidedly more credible than Fox...and there are studies to prove it.

So, can you counter the information provided or not? With Fox, they are easily (and frequently) discredited with facts. Is NPR? No.

Forum List

Back