Prison economics drove immigration law in AZ

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NPR spent the past several months analyzing hundreds of pages of campaign finance reports, lobbying documents and corporate records. What they show is a quiet, behind-the-scenes effort to help draft and pass Arizona Senate Bill 1070 by an industry that stands to benefit from it: the private prison industry.

The law could send hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants to prison in a way never done before. And it could mean hundreds of millions of dollars in profits to private prison companies responsible for housing them.

"Enough is enough," Pearce said in his office, sitting under a banner reading "Let Freedom Reign." "People need to focus on the cost of not enforcing our laws and securing our border. It is the Trojan horse destroying our country and a republic cannot survive as a lawless nation."

But instead of taking his idea to the Arizona statehouse floor, Pearce first took it to a hotel conference room.

It was last December at the Grand Hyatt in Washington, D.C. Inside, there was a meeting of a secretive group called the American Legislative Exchange Council. Insiders call it ALEC.

It's a membership organization of state legislators and powerful corporations and associations, such as the tobacco company Reynolds American Inc., ExxonMobil and the National Rifle Association. Another member is the billion-dollar Corrections Corporation of America — the largest private prison company in the country.

It was there that Pearce's idea took shape.

"I did a presentation," Pearce said. "I went through the facts. I went through the impacts and they said, 'Yeah.'"

Prison Economics Help Drive Ariz. Immigration Law : NPR

How do you explain the 60% of Americans who support AZ? Do they all own prisons too?

1) Have we not already a thread on this?

2) Does the fact that some might find opportunity in this automatically make the law a bad thing? What then, of those who earn their living as meat inspectors? Do they make such measures as were taken by the Muckrakers somehow a bad thing?

We should use the money that would go to the dream act to provide transportation for illegals and their anchor babies to the border. Here in AZ we have a sheriff that's perfect for the job. This problem is not going to end without extremely harsh tactics. Our Constitution is a living document that needs to evolve to in order to deals with such as illegal entry in to country and drug smuggling.

Hey Chris, I hate to break it to you, but the MAJORITY of Americans SUPPORT Arizona's law. We, The American People, are sick and tired of the federal government's impotence.

Forum List

Back