Prison: A Waste of Human Life

I write to prisoners and I am friends with a few. What I'm struck by is that the sentences don't always match the crime and that the innocent also wind up in prison.

I would like to discuss the transformation that sometimes occurs to remarkable prisoners as a result of their incarceration.

Some truly self-heal, and IMO, it is a waste of resources to keep them locked or to execute them.

Jarvis Masters is the author of Finding Freedom. He is one such remarkable man, living on Death Row in San Quentin Prison.

Prison work has been part of my spiritual path for ten years.

Your thoughts?
As a retired federal correctional officer, I 100% disagree. Majority of them got what they deserve. My experiance is the majority of them lie as good as any hollywood actor following a script.

I write to prisoners and I am friends with a few. What I'm struck by is that the sentences don't always match the crime and that the innocent also wind up in prison.

I would like to discuss the transformation that sometimes occurs to remarkable prisoners as a result of their incarceration.

Some truly self-heal, and IMO, it is a waste of resources to keep them locked or to execute them.

Jarvis Masters is the author of Finding Freedom. He is one such remarkable man, living on Death Row in San Quentin Prison.

Your thoughts?
As a retired federal correctional officer, I 100% disagree. Majority of them got what they deserve. My experiance is the majority of them lie as good as any hollywood actor following a script.

Amazing isn't it?

Prisons should be reserved purely for violent offenders only. All others should be allowed to work off their sentences in other ways unless they are MAJOR white collar criminals like Madoff etc.

That being said, just because they may have repented their crimes and their way of life doesn't negate the harm they have caused others. For those on death row you must remember they did KILL someone! Any convicted murderer should serve a very long mandatory sentence (40+ years) and be executed in certain extreme cases.

Well put!!

Your thoughts?

It's too bad you have no heart for the people you worked with. Some of them may have surprised you.

I hear you. We disagree. I wouldn't have worked in any job where I hated the people I served as much as you have.

Prisons should be reserved purely for violent offenders only. All others should be allowed to work off their sentences in other ways unless they are MAJOR white collar criminals like Madoff etc.

That being said, just because they may have repented their crimes and their way of life doesn't negate the harm they have caused others. For those on death row you must remember they did KILL someone! Any convicted murderer should serve a very long mandatory sentence (40+ years) and be executed in certain extreme cases.

Well put!!
Inmates on death row should be given one appeal and if that fails be put to death within one year.

Your thoughts?

Yup pretty much, prison is a miserable place and people will say almost anything to get out of there.

He has a shill...

oh poor me on death row.... look at me.. im a bhuddist who wouldn't hurt a fly..... oh poor poor me... please publish my drivel before the big bad state kills me.

Cynical and bitter post. Jarvis is more trustworthy than you are, LOL.

No... anyone who writes knows that. A shill will get you published even if what you have written is total crap.

Jarvis is a more trustworthy human being to me than you are. He's also a talented writer. You wouldn't know, because you don't read him. Your mind is closed.

Last edited:

Your thoughts?

Yup pretty much, prison is a miserable place and people will say almost anything to get out of there.

Prison is a mix of human beings. Some are hard core and will not change, others do.

If they say yes will that shut you up? If not, don't challenge me, or others, to ask.

No, I will never shut up about opposing capital punishment.

I oppose it too. I am also intelligent enough not to challenge the people to ask the victims of crimes if killing the perpetrator will benefit them.

You presume that all victims of crime want their perpetrators killed in their name. Many of them don't.

Your thoughts?

It's too bad you have no heart for the people you worked with. Some of them may have surprised you.

I hear you. We disagree. I wouldn't have worked in any job where I hated the people I served as much as you have.
I didn't say i had no heart or hated them. Some of them were there because they made a mistake, they are usually the ones that will admit that. The majority though deny they are guilty and will lie and manipulate others for their own good. I seen it first hand quite often. You learn to see thru the lies.

Your thoughts?

Amazing isn't it?

Prison is hell for most people, I would say anything I could to make myself look innocent and get out of there.

Your thoughts?

Some people can truly change behind bars, however that doesn't lessen the severity of their crimes. People look deep in themselves in tough situations, hell I know people that have changed by going on deployments in the Military.

Jarvis Masters is a transformed man.

Yea, yea, yea. I've heard that before. I won't waste time going into details but people in prison are always 'transformed'.... and most of them return to be the fucking scumbag, murdering bastards the minute they get out.

If he's transformed, great. He can happily suffer the just penalty of his actions.

I didn't say i had no heart or hated them. Some of them were there because they made a mistake, they are usually the ones that will admit that. The majority though deny they are guilty and will lie and manipulate others for their own good. I seen it first hand quite often. You learn to see thru the lies.

I'm referring to Jarvis Masters, who I know quite well. He is not manipulating anyone.

I'm glad to hear you were able to discern the difference between those who made a mistake and regretted it, and those who are career criminal sociopaths.

I know the difference too.

No, I will never shut up about opposing capital punishment.

I oppose it too. I am also intelligent enough not to challenge the people to ask the victims of crimes if killing the perpetrator will benefit them.

You presume that all victims of crime want their perpetrators killed in their name. Many of them don't.

I do. Sadly, I didn't get that option... but if I had... trust me... I'd have pulled the fucking lever myself. And done so happily.

Some people can truly change behind bars, however that doesn't lessen the severity of their crimes. People look deep in themselves in tough situations, hell I know people that have changed by going on deployments in the Military.

Yea, yea, yea. I've heard that before. I won't waste time going into details but people in prison are always 'transformed'.... and most of them return to be the fucking scumbag, murdering bastards the minute they get out.

If he's transformed, great. He can happily suffer the just penalty of his actions.

I see you've chosen to not be friends. I'm good with that.

Actually if a person commits a crime they should accept and serve their time. I don't know about the case you speak of Skydancer, but yes sometimes innocent people do go to jail and serve time unjustly. We know this because DNA set many innocent people free after it was accepted science in courts across the country.

Some people can change, they still should serve the time given. That said, some people never get caught and still change. I know a few people who were former gang members here in this area and they have changed and are no longer in gangs and their life and the way they live it now is a testimony to the fact that people do change sometimes.

He has a shill...

oh poor me on death row.... look at me.. im a bhuddist who wouldn't hurt a fly..... oh poor poor me... please publish my drivel before the big bad state kills me.

Cynical and bitter post. Jarvis is more trustworthy than you are, LOL.

No... anyone who writes knows that. A shill will get you published even if what you have written is total crap.

Yep.

I see you've chosen to not be friends. I'm good with that.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I have personal experience of the justice system.... and I'd have been fucking delighted if she'd got the DP. Then I wouldn't have to share the planet with the murdering bitch.

Actually if a person commits a crime they should accept and serve their time. I don't know about the case you speak of Skydancer, but yes sometimes innocent people do go to jail and serve time unjustly. We know this because DNA set many innocent people free after it was accepted science in courts across the country.

Some people can change, they still should serve the time given. That said, some people never get caught and still change. I know a few people who were former gang members here in this area and they have changed and are no longer in gangs and their life and the way they live it now is a testimony to the fact that people do change sometimes.

Thank you for having an actual conversation about this topic. You know Jarvis?

Yes, people can and do change.

Prison is a mix of human beings. Some are hard core and will not change, others do.

Change has nothing to do with the sentence. The sentence is punishment for crime committed. You confuse the issues.

Forum List

Back