Prison: A Waste of Human Life

Thing is... it makes no difference to me if they have coming to jesus moments or not. It makes no difference to me if they really believe or not. It makes no difference to me if they keep it up after they are let out. I would be happy if prisoners were all in a pelican bay like facility.... a concrete box. No contact with anyone or anything but themselves.

If a sentence is handed down... then i care about is that the sentence is carried out....

I agree, it doesn't matter if they turn into Gandhi when they are locked up, they commited a crime which is why they are in there to begin with, he should have tried to enlighten himself before he was incarcerated.

I'm talking about capital punishment. Jarvis Masters can benefit others while he serves his time in prison.

It would be wrong to execute him. He did not committ murder.

I am talking about capital punishment too. He is sentenced to death.... karam. The sooner he is put the death the better.

I dont care what he did or did not do... It is the sentence he got and the one i want carried out.

If he wanted to benefit others.... he should have thought about it before he did his shit. He can help as many people as he wants, no one is stopping him....right up untill the time they march him off to be put to death.

Some people can truly change behind bars, however that doesn't lessen the severity of their crimes. People look deep in themselves in tough situations, hell I know people that have changed by going on deployments in the Military.

Jarvis Masters is a transformed man.

Tough. He is being punished for the man he WAS and what he already DID.

He accepts his punishment. I do not. I do not accept capital punishment. It's wrong.

Prisons should be reserved purely for violent offenders only. All others should be allowed to work off their sentences in other ways unless they are MAJOR white collar criminals like Madoff etc.

That being said, just because they may have repented their crimes and their way of life doesn't negate the harm they have caused others. For those on death row you must remember they did KILL someone! Any convicted murderer should serve a very long mandatory sentence (40+ years) and be executed in certain extreme cases.

Excellent idea.:clap2:

A little about JJ Masters. Interesting he didn't find religion when intially sent to prison, he helped kill a guard first.
Of course California's method of execution appears to be old age, so Sky's efforts while noble to her, futile to others, are simply moot.

Jarvis Jay Masters (b. 1962, Long Beach, California) is an American criminal currently on death row at San Quentin State Prison in Marin County, California. He arrived at San Quentin in 1981 at the age of 19 convicted of armed robbery and was moved to death row in 1990 after being convicted of murder for his part in the killing of a prison guard.

During his time in prison, Masters became a Buddhist and started writing about his experiences from that perspective

In 1985, Sergeant Howell Burchfield was stabbed to death at night on the second tier of a cell block. Three men were tried for Sgt Burchfield's murder. Andre Johnson was tried for stabbing him while Lawrence Woodard was tried for ordering the murder. Masters was accused of sharpening the piece of metal that was used in the murder. Masters was on the fourth tier at the time of the murder. Of the three men, only Jarvis was given the death penalty. The other two were given sentences of life without parole. Jarvis Masters has been on death row since 1990.

The California Supreme Court has read Masters's habeas corpus petition and decided it stated a prima facie case for granting a new trial. On February 14, 2007, they issued a very strong and unusual order to California state prosecutors to respond to Masters’s claims in the petition. The order to show cause requires the Attorney General to show why Masters is not entitled to a new trial for eight reasons. Masters’s lead lawyer, Joe Baxter, called the California Supreme Court’s Order to Show Cause “unique and breathtaking in its scope.”

On April 11th, 2008, the California Supreme Court ordered an evidentiary hearing. Joe Baxter, Masters’s lead lawyer said the court's order "allows us to prove his innocence on many different fronts and allows us to prove he didn't have a fair trial."

Here is one of Jarvis' stories. I'm a writer, I can't help it if I appreciate his work.

Drunken Boat | Jarvis Jay Masters

Better than the average drivel I read on the internet. My guess is that if he were not in prison he would be an unpublished writer, he is not very good.

He's an excellent writer. He's now published two books.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMCTgGjTRA]excellent driver - YouTube[/ame]

Here is one of Jarvis' stories. I'm a writer, I can't help it if I appreciate his work.

Better than the average drivel I read on the internet. My guess is that if he were not in prison he would be an unpublished writer, he is not very good.

He has a shill...

oh poor me on death row.... look at me.. im a bhuddist who wouldn't hurt a fly..... oh poor poor me... please publish my drivel before the big bad state kills me.

So what is the problem.... his karam and he accepts it. Deal with it.

I oppose capital punishment. Deal with it.

Yes i see that. You are interfering with someone elses karam though.

I agree with capital punishment. Sorry you cant deal with that.

I get it that we disagree. Sorry you can't deal with that. I can. We disagree on nearly every issue.

We're board opponents.

Jarvis Masters is an extraordinary human being. Whether he is ever released from prison or not, he benefits others.

Executing him is wrong.
he conspired to commit murder.

like any rabid animal, he should be put down.

At the time, he was mean enough to do it, willing to do it, but he didn't do it. Further, the two men who actually did the stabbing of the prison guard got LWOP, and Jarvis got life.

He isn't a "rabid animal". He is a completely peaceful and transformed individual whose life is valuable to many others, whether he is ever released or not.

You don't know much about this man, I do.

You "know" what he is willing to tell you and what you are willing to believe. The truth is no doubt far different.

Thing is... it makes no difference to me if they have coming to jesus moments or not. It makes no difference to me if they really believe or not. It makes no difference to me if they keep it up after they are let out. I would be happy if prisoners were all in a pelican bay like facility.... a concrete box. No contact with anyone or anything but themselves.

If a sentence is handed down... then i care about is that the sentence is carried out....

I agree, it doesn't matter if they turn into Gandhi when they are locked up, they commited a crime which is why they are in there to begin with, he should have tried to enlighten himself before he was incarcerated.

I'm talking about capital punishment. Jarvis Masters can benefit others while he serves his time in prison.

If you feel this strongly about it, maybe you should write your congressman and explain in depth why his life should be spared.

he conspired to commit murder.

like any rabid animal, he should be put down.

At the time, he was mean enough to do it, willing to do it, but he didn't do it. Further, the two men who actually did the stabbing of the prison guard got LWOP, and Jarvis got life.

He isn't a "rabid animal". He is a completely peaceful and transformed individual whose life is valuable to many others, whether he is ever released or not.

You don't know much about this man, I do.

You "know" what he is willing to tell you and what you are willing to believe. The truth is no doubt far different.

I know a great deal more about him than he has told me himself.

If you feel this strongly about it, maybe you should write your congressman and explain in depth why his life should be spared.

What makes you think I haven't?

He has a shill...

oh poor me on death row.... look at me.. im a bhuddist who wouldn't hurt a fly..... oh poor poor me... please publish my drivel before the big bad state kills me.

Cynical and bitter post. Jarvis is more trustworthy than you are, LOL.

How many copies have the books sold?

Getting published is easy, good writers, like Stephen King, sell books. Lots of books.

I'm not saying that. I think they should be evaluated thoroughly. Anyone who knows Jarvis feels the same way about him that I do.

He is well respected by all who know him.

Can we bet on that? I am willing to bet that if we interview everyone who knows him we can find at least one person who neither likes nor respects him.

I bet if we interviewed everyone who knows you we might find someone who neither likes nor respects you.

That doesn't mean you should forfeit your life.

It might to the people who do not like me.

My point was that you are exaggerating. It is bad enough that you are trying to clean up his history, don't go around making claims that are impossible to justify.

You ask the widow and kids if it benefits them to execute a man who didn't kill Burchfield.

If they say yes will that shut you up? If not, don't challenge me, or others, to ask.

No, I will never shut up about opposing capital punishment.

I oppose it too. I am also intelligent enough not to challenge the people to ask the victims of crimes if killing the perpetrator will benefit them.

He has a shill...

Cynical and bitter post. Jarvis is more trustworthy than you are, LOL.

No... anyone who writes knows that. A shill will get you published even if what you have written is total crap.

Forum List

Back