Prison: A Waste of Human Life

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I write to prisoners and I am friends with a few. What I'm struck by is that the sentences don't always match the crime and that the innocent also wind up in prison.

I would like to discuss the transformation that sometimes occurs to remarkable prisoners as a result of their incarceration.

Some truly self-heal, and IMO, it is a waste of resources to keep them locked or to execute them.

Jarvis Masters is the author of Finding Freedom. He is one such remarkable man, living on Death Row in San Quentin Prison.

Prison work has been part of my spiritual path for ten years.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    just because inmates have had a coming to jesus moment... does not lessen their crimes.

Sentences are pass out for the crime... not for the person they "become" in jail. The person they "become" has no bearing on ...anything.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,393
    Just about everyone in prison claims to be innocent, Sky.
    Prisons keep dangerous people away from society. Yes some can be rehabilitated. Most violent offenders, can't.

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Yes, I'm aware of that. In the case of Jarvis Masters, I know his circumstances, his history and his trial very well. He is innocent of the charges that put him on death row, that is, sharpening the shiv that killed a prison guard.

Jarvis was mean enough to do it. At the time, he was asked to do it, he agreed to do it. The gang he was a part of took him off the task because he was too slow in accomplishing it.

This is karma. The man who actually stabbed and killed the guard has life without parole, Jarvis has life.

Jarvis has used his time in prison well. He is a transformed man, and he is benefiting people in and out of prison at this time. I don't feel his execution serves anyone.

I have a true story I can tell about how he helped a woman with MS to write a book before she died.

5. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    Be careful.

6. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I'm always careful. I've been writing to Jarvis for about 10 years now. I haven't visited him in person, but many of my close Buddhist family have.

I have a wonderful story about him. He really helped a dying woman I was working with to write a children's book before she died of MS.

7. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,680
    Prisons should be reserved purely for violent offenders only. All others should be allowed to work off their sentences in other ways unless they are MAJOR white collar criminals like Madoff etc.

That being said, just because they may have repented their crimes and their way of life doesn't negate the harm they have caused others. For those on death row you must remember they did KILL someone! Any convicted murderer should serve a very long mandatory sentence (40+ years) and be executed in certain extreme cases.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Jarvis Masters didn't kill anyone, yet he is on death row. Our justice system is not infallible. As long as mistakes can be made, we should not be executing anyone.

9. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    It's a shame he didn't spiritually transform himself before he deprived another human being of the opportunity to live. Jarvis Masters not only committed an armed robbery, but he was an accessory to a homicide in the prison system.

Fuck Jarvis Masters. I hope they keep his ass locked up until he dies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,680

I am not familiar with his case but I agree the Death Penalty should be used only in extreme cases and then it should be used swiftly. In my perfect world, in the highly unlikely event that a person was condemned, they would get one appeal and after the appeal (assuming the verdict was upheld) sentence would be carried out within a week.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1