Principles

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
What type of principles do we need to live as individuals to have a good and free society?

What type of principles do we need to live as individuals to have a good and free society?
MYOB.

That's not a demand, but the principle. :lol:

In fact, it was the motto on America's first coinage.

6a0105368d66f2970b0105369014ef970b-800wi

Why must a diverse and open society have values all its members share, Avatar?

You think freedom can exist without basic principles in agreement?

Well, I suppose we need to agree that children deserve our protection, but beyond that, why would we need to care about the same things? I might value animals and agitate on their behalf; you might care instead about the elderly and agitate for them. Must we ever come to an agreement?

Isn't it okay to be different, morally speaking, in an open society?

Easy.
To be aware that the choices we make effects everyone we know, and many we don't; and adjust those choices accordingly.

I don't know if it's principles as much as characteristics. Principles often divide people along ideological lines. Traditionally children were taught to be:

honest
self-reliant
kind
helpful
respect elders, indeed animals too
hard working
thrifty

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Of course that principle flies in the face of everything that capitalism stands for, doesn't it?

Capitalism harnesses the natural healthy self interest that people have to improve their lives.

The golden rule expects people to abandon that self interest in favor of the other.

Jesus was a communialist, folks. Not a marxist, but still a communialist

He lived communially, he advocated a kind of enlighten communialism, and he was killed for it.

We can have a GOOD society.

We can have a FREE society.

But I am not really sure we can have both and entirely GOOD society AND an entirely FREE society.

In fact I suspect that FREEDOM and SOCIETY are mutually exclusive.

In order to have a society individuals must agree to give up some measure of their personal freedom.

I like to think that we can have a society that is mostly good and mostly free, though.

Its hard to keep those competing concepts in balance, but I like to think it's possible.

When I was in grade school, our principal was a fellow named Mr. Simms. He was the meanest SOB I had ever encountered until later on in life. We need more principals like him. He was a "no bullshit" kind of guy and he would paddle your ass at the drop of a hat. This kind of a principal is good for America.

Why shouldn't it?

"Should" is the wrong word, I think, The Light. It suggests some sort of utopia, and humans are apparently incapable of attaining that ideal. It seems to me if the society is open and not homogenous, like ours, it is best to agree on the acts we are unwilling to tolerate and criminalize those.

The rest, we allow folks to choose for themselves how them wish to live and by what principles or values.

Take children for example. I might have a low opinion of the way another lady is raising her kids, but I cannot interfere unless her conduct as a parent is so bad it qualifies as abuse or neglect. If we try a completely different approach -- all children must be raised in some prescribed fashion -- what do we do with the lady I disapprove of? Do we "re-educate" her? Do you really want a government poking its nose in where no crime has been committed?

When I was in grade school, our principal was a fellow named Mr. Simms. He was the meanest SOB I had ever encountered until later on in life. We need more principals like him. He was a "no bullshit" kind of guy and he would paddle your ass at the drop of a hat. This kind of a principal is good for America.

Getting the crap be out of you didn't seem to do much to help you.

You think freedom can exist without basic principles in agreement?

Well, I suppose we need to agree that children deserve our protection, but beyond that, why would we need to care about the same things? I might value animals and agitate on their behalf; you might care instead about the elderly and agitate for them. Must we ever come to an agreement?

Isn't it okay to be different, morally speaking, in an open society?

I think it would be difficult to have a diverse and open society if people didn't share the principles of tolerance or freedom of expression.

So you want to live in an Authoritarian society where the government paddles your ass when you don't do what you're told?
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is your idea of an ideal leader?
Wow. If your intent was sarcasim you done well, if not, well WOW!

Last edited:

So you want to live in an Authoritarian society where the government paddles your ass when you don't do what you're told?
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is you idea of an enlightened leader?
Wow.

So a desire to see children disciplined now means you want a government controlled society?

And seriously, how on earth can you object to an authoritarian government controlled society. It's all you advocate for.

Forum List

Back