Principal Takes 8-Year Old To Every Class Announcing She Is A Thief And A Liar

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
What in the world goes through some people's heads when they think this is a good thing to do?

-----

Some parents in a local school district say the principal was out of line for taking by the hand an 8-year-old accused of stealing into every classroom in the school and telling kids she is a thief and a liar.

Some want more than an apology -- they want the principal fired.

Marlene Whitby is the principal of William Penn Elementary School.

The parents of the little girl she humiliated say she scarred their child for life.

The girl's father told Channel 4 Action News, "What good can you get out of that -- abusing a child? What good can you get out of that."

Another student accused his 8-year-old daughter of stealing $5.

That's when her family says Whitby walked the girl into each and every classroom at William Penn, telling all of the students she was a thief and a liar.

Later, the girl's accuser recanted her story.

But many say the damage had already been done.

"She ought to make an apology -- take that kid around like she did when she thought she was guilty, and apologize in front of all the people," said Forward Township resident Terry Cohut.

The girl's family says the principal did apologize -- but not in public, the way they'd hoped.

Outside the polls on election day in Forward Township on Tuesday, the buzz had nothing to do with Election Day and everything to do with Whitby.

Many people are making plans to attend Wednesday's school board meeting at Elizabeth Forward's middle school.

"If you have a question, go fill out a card. It's open to everybody," said school board candidate Clare Guffey.

The school says they cannot comment on disciplinary or personnel matters about students or staff.

One of the saddest parts of the story is that the girl's father says the little girl's sister kicked her out of their room because the principal said she was a bad person.

Wednesday's school board meeting is just a work session. But some residents say that won't stop many from speaking out against what happened.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/5281034/detail.html

GotZoom said:
What in the world goes through some people's heads when they think this is a good thing to do?

-----

Some parents in a local school district say the principal was out of line for taking by the hand an 8-year-old accused of stealing into every classroom in the school and telling kids she is a thief and a liar.

Some want more than an apology -- they want the principal fired.

Marlene Whitby is the principal of William Penn Elementary School.

The parents of the little girl she humiliated say she scarred their child for life.

The girl's father told Channel 4 Action News, "What good can you get out of that -- abusing a child? What good can you get out of that."

Another student accused his 8-year-old daughter of stealing $5.

That's when her family says Whitby walked the girl into each and every classroom at William Penn, telling all of the students she was a thief and a liar.

Later, the girl's accuser recanted her story.

But many say the damage had already been done.

"She ought to make an apology -- take that kid around like she did when she thought she was guilty, and apologize in front of all the people," said Forward Township resident Terry Cohut.

The girl's family says the principal did apologize -- but not in public, the way they'd hoped.

Outside the polls on election day in Forward Township on Tuesday, the buzz had nothing to do with Election Day and everything to do with Whitby.

Many people are making plans to attend Wednesday's school board meeting at Elizabeth Forward's middle school.

"If you have a question, go fill out a card. It's open to everybody," said school board candidate Clare Guffey.

The school says they cannot comment on disciplinary or personnel matters about students or staff.

One of the saddest parts of the story is that the girl's father says the little girl's sister kicked her out of their room because the principal said she was a bad person.

Wednesday's school board meeting is just a work session. But some residents say that won't stop many from speaking out against what happened.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/5281034/detail.html

They should have just taken off her thumbs...

If she actually had stolen the $5 I wouldn't have a problem.

The principal should gather the school in the auditorium, set the record straight (say who the real liar was), apologize to the whole school for jumping to conclusions, and then personally apologize to the student in front of everyone. The principal should then be disciplined in a manner which they will not soon forget.

Zhukov said:

The principal should gather the school in the auditorium, set the record straight (say who the real liar was), apologize to the whole school for jumping to conclusions, and then personally apologize to the student in front of everyone. The principal should then be disciplined in a manner which they will not soon forget.

I think what would be great is if the girl took the principal by hand from classroom to classroom and punished her the same way she was punished.

Zhukov said:

I agree. At the same time make it a Civics lesson... Teach them what presumed innocence really is all about...

The ClayTaurus said:
I think what would be great is if the girl took the principal by hand from classroom to classroom and punished her the same way she was punished.

Agreed! I'm all for public apologies for something that you did wrong. But that's just taking it too far.

The ClayTaurus said:

If I were her father and the principal didn't offer to personally take her in front of every single class that the announcement was made in and personally apologize I would take her around personally to every single classroom and inform them of the incorrect and hurtful assumptions that have been made.

As a parent it wouldn't matter at all if my 7 yr old stole the money or not. What that principal did was WRONG :spank3: and at the very least should make a public appology in front of the entire school. That is if I was unsuccessful at getting his butt fired for it.

THis should have been handled in private, we're talking about a 2nd grader after all.

Trigg said:
As a parent it wouldn't matter at all if my 7 yr old stole the money or not. What that principal did was WRONG :spank3: and at the very least should make a public appology in front of the entire school. That is if I was unsuccessful at getting his butt fired for it.

THis should have been handled in private, we're talking about a 2nd grader after all.

If the kid had actually taken the money, a heaping helping of public humiliation would have been appropriate. It's no different than making a shop-lifter stand outside the store they ripped off with a sandwich board. The principal screwed up by not making sure of guilt first.

i think the teacher should have to go from bar to bar in the town with a sign around her neck " i am a stupid c&^%(*(&^("

MissileMan said:
If the kid had actually taken the money, a heaping helping of public humiliation would have been appropriate. It's no different than making a shop-lifter stand outside the store they ripped off with a sandwich board. The principal screwed up by not making sure of guilt first.

That is what presumption of innocence is all about MissileMan. However if you make such an ass out of yourself would you not do whatever it took to make it right? No quiet private apology, you shamed an innocent child...

no1tovote4 said:
That is what presumption of innocence is all about MissileMan. However if you make such an ass out of yourself would you not do whatever it took to make it right? No quiet private apology, you shamed an innocent child...

Oh, I agree. The principal screwed the pooch on this one, and appropriately now, should take this girl to the same classes and pronounce himself an idiot and the girl innocent. My response was aimed more at Trigg's post that the embarrassment would have been inappropriate even if the girl was guilty.

manu1959 said:
i think the teacher should have to go from bar to bar in the town with a sign around her neck " i am a stupid c&^%(*(&^("
Yea, it should be a sandwich board. The front says, “" i am a stupid c&^%(*(&^("
I humiliated a lil kid for 5 missing dollars she didn’t have anything to do with.

The back says, “Drinks on me”

That’ll do er!

Is this the current liberal form of giving someone a public flogging? Kind of like the liberal press where they draw and quarter someone in the news media without hesitation or even proof.

Since when do principals give 8-year-olds extensive public floggings/scoldings as she did? I thought the normal procedure was to call in a parent to handle it appropriately which should be more than enough trauma for the child.

That principal should be fired not only for extreme lack of judgement, but also for leaving the parents out of the loop, for stupidly accusing the wrong child, and for being a total jackass.

What kind of fool educators are they producing in the universities? :mad:

ScreamingEagle said:
Is this the current liberal form of giving someone a public flogging? Kind of like the liberal press where they draw and quarter someone in the news media without hesitation or even proof.

Since when do principals give 8-year-olds extensive public floggings/scoldings as she did? I thought the normal procedure was to call in a parent to handle it appropriately which should be more than enough trauma for the child.

That principal should be fired not only for extreme lack of judgement, but also for leaving the parents out of the loop, for stupidly accusing the wrong child, and for being a total jackass.

What kind of fool educators are they producing in the universities? :mad:
No. I wish it were that simple, but it’s not. You brought up several points, IMO here’s the most important, PARENTS. PTA/PTO roles are dismal. It’s a big deal to even have a Parent teacher conference with most.

Worse is, Ward and June Clever (PARENTS) don’t exist anymore. Sad, but most parents these days send their kids to school, not to learn, but for day care. If anything offends the lil bastards during the day the ACLU or another Attorney is the first stop after work.

I’m not, nor will I, defend this idiot for what she did, but these folks (teachers etc) are really between a rock and a hard place. I think many of them really are trying to teach despite the obstacles in the way.

MissileMan said:

I agree with you about public humiliation if the person is an adult or older teenager. This is a 7-8 year old child. The parents should have been brought in and the child diciplined, but NOT taken around the school like that.

The ClayTaurus said:

I still would rather have had her walk around in front of those same children she made the announcement to and apologize profusely and speak about due process and make it into a lesson for presumed innocence than have her quit. Then demote her to Asst. Principal and hire a subordinate to be her boss.

I had a teacher that once caught me whispering to somebody during an algebra II test. Both of us had turned it in and I had a question about a project, so I saw no harm. However, she accused me and me alone (wouldn't have been quite so suspicious if the other guy, who whispered back, had been accused of being in it with me) of cheating on the test, ripped mine in half, and told me I was getting an 'F.' She yelled at the top of her lungs right in the middle of the class and didn't give me a chance to defend myself, then told her entire second period class that I had cheated, so, of course, it spread. My dad was furious, and I got a re-test (which I aced...take that, b****). Come to find out later, I was beating her kid for valdevictorian, and she'd be damned if she didn't do something about it. What's even worse is that I had her husband the very next year for biology.

Forum List

Back