Principal Delivers Graduation Speech In Spanish

That federal provision is for Naturalizartion and has nothing to do with natural born citizens... There is no federal law establishing a National language. In fact, both English and Spanish can be offical languages of the US.
But, that's not what s/he said. English, rudimentary as it is, IS required for citizenship.

correct...for Naturalization. Lets be clear.
Aaaaaand, naturalization makes one a __________?

It's not a hard question.

José;3807606 said:
Let me tell you something you probably don't know if you've never been to Mexico, Gravity.

In almost every mexican town or village you find upper-class residences, in the middle of poor, rundown neighborhoods. The constrast is so stark that you can't help asking a local resident who lives there (if you don't know the answer already).

The answer is invariably the same. The guy lived in America for a few years, worked his/her ass off, earned a lot of money and then came back to Mexico and built the "mansion" for his family.

So you are absolutely right. Not every Mexican wants to live in America. I personaly know a hell of a lot of people who just want to make some bucks to fulfill their lifelong dreams (house, marriage, school, business, etc, etc, etc...)

You don't need to speak english like Queen Elisabeth II to flip burgers for a few years in America, specially when you live in a place that already has a huge mexican/hispanic community.

I had rented property in Mexico for almost ten years, I finally gave it up when the cartel started killing off the local police.

Wow! is English a pre requisite for citizenship?

in a word YES

please check the federal government requirements for entrance into the United States

That federal provision is for Naturalizartion and has nothing to do with natural born citizens... There is no federal law establishing a National language. In fact, both English and Spanish can be offical languages of the US.

In what language is the Constitution, Declaration of Independence and every other historical and present day governmental document written in?

I'll give you a hint, it's not spanish!

Wow! is English a pre requisite for citizenship?

in a word YES

please check the federal government requirements for entrance into the United States

Back when our country was new, there was a discussion as to what should be our language. They knew we should have ONE language. Dutch was in the running, but our founding father's decided on English. Don't know if they wrote it into law or not, but I believe it was their intent at that time that our country become an English speaking nation, which happened. Changing it now is not a good thing and destroys much of what our founding fathers tried to do which was unite our country, not divide it. Spanish wasn't even considered at that time and now you are saying that we should be a Spanish speaking nation? Why? Sorry, but even mentioning that is only going to cause division and a lot of resentment towards our Spanish speaking immigrants.

As to having two official languages, why not have English and Japanese? Or French and German? Or Hebrew and Thai? Why do you believe the Hispanic immigrants deserve special rights that no other immigrant has ever had before in history?

in a word YES

Back when our country was new, there was a discussion as to what should be our language. They knew we should have ONE language. Dutch was in the running, but our founding father's decided on English. Don't know if they wrote it into law or not, but I believe it was their intent at that time that our country become an English speaking nation, which happened. Changing it now is not a good thing and destroys much of what our founding fathers tried to do which was unite our country, not divide it. Spanish wasn't even considered at that time and now you are saying that we should be a Spanish speaking nation? Why? Sorry, but even mentioning that is only going to cause division and a lot of resentment towards our Spanish speaking immigrants.

As to having two official languages, why not have English and Japanese? Or French and German? Or Hebrew and Thai? Why do you believe the Hispanic immigrants deserve special rights that no other immigrant has ever had before in history?

I bet the Apaches felt the same as you do.

I'm sure they did, for their nation, but this isn't their nation. This is ours. The United States of America, believe it or not, was founded by Europeans. They took the land from the Indians and they kept it. Get over it, it's been hundreds of years now. Our nation is the most diverse in the world, not a bad thing, but we all need to speak one language or we will become divided and fall.

I'm sure they did, for their nation, but this isn't their nation. This is ours. The United States of America, believe it or not, was founded by Europeans. They took the land from the Indians and they kept it. Get over it, it's been hundreds of years now. Our nation is the most diverse in the world, not a bad thing, but we all need to speak one language or we will become divided and fall.

:clap2::clap2:
Hear ye, hear ye! I'm with you Againsheila.

He congratulated the students in both English and Spanish. So what?

So why not Thai, or don't the parent's who are Thai deserve the same courtesy as those who are Hispanic?

How about Japanese? German? Italian?

Unless this school was a bilingual school, designed to teach kids TWO languages equally, then it was inappropriate. Leaving out the American parents and children while speaking to those who aren't American (and you have to learn English to become a citizen) is insulting.

English is not the offical language of the US of A.

But......it IS in 27 states! If this is one of those 27, the people are too cowardly to abide by it.

Does anyone else notice that in every thread where liberals get their ass handed to them, they abandon the thread?

So why not Thai, or don't the parent's who are Thai deserve the same courtesy as those who are Hispanic?

How about Japanese? German? Italian?

Unless this school was a bilingual school, designed to teach kids TWO languages equally, then it was inappropriate. Leaving out the American parents and children while speaking to those who aren't American (and you have to learn English to become a citizen) is insulting.

English is not the offical language of the US of A.

But......it IS in 27 states! If this is one of those 27, the people are too cowardly to abide by it.

Actually English IS our official language. It may not have been put into a law, but congress discussed it and decided to go with English. Dutch was a close second.

Forum List

Back