Prince Harry Dresses as a Nazi? WTF?

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Harry's Nazi Gaffe
13 January 2005

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWROYALHarryThur6HarryNazi?source=&ct=5

Prince Harry has provoked outrage after being pictured dressed as a Nazi soldier at a fancy dress party.
Not sure how long this image link will last:

0,,2005020231,00.jpg

The picture, published on the front page of The Sun newspaper, immediately drew strong condemnation and questions over Harry's suitability to train as a British Army officer.
Clarence House swiftly issued a statement from the Prince in which he apologised for any offence. The newspaper said Harry, 20, had attended a fancy dress party in the desert uniform of Rommel's German Afrika Korps to the party in Wiltshire. The photo shows him wearing a swastika armband and a badge of the German Wehrmacht or defence force on his collar.

Andy Pike, from Unite Against Fascism, said: "Prince Harry has had a very expensive education, is supposedly fit to be an officer serving in his country's armed forces and one would assume he is not a complete idiot. (Not a valid assumption.) "One would be very surprised if he were not aware of the significance of wearing the swastika and the amount of offence that would cause.
"We believe it will offend the whole of the Jewish community and many others. It is extremely disrespectful to the millions of people that fought against fascism."

In a statement, the Prince said: "I am very sorry if I caused any offence or embarrassment to anyone. It was a poor choice of costume and I apologise."

However, Mr Pike called for the third in line to the throne to do more than apologise, and "distance" himself from the Nazis. We don't think that [an apology] is enough. We would like to see Harry distance himself from Nazi ideas of white supremacy, anti-semitism and racism because he is a very influential figure. We think just an apology won't do," he said.

Jeff Barak, deputy editor of the Jewish Chronicle, told Sky News his reaction to the photograph was one of "shock and revulsion". He said going to a fancy dress party as a Nazi was something that one does not do and not a laughing matter. "He has made a serious error," added Mr Barak.

Link to The Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/

--

Forum List

Back