Prince George's County School District in Maryland is closed today for "A Day without a Woman's Day"

We do need more men as teachers, but men don't choose those jobs because they don't pay enough. They are "pink collar" jobs, as are social workers. Predominantly women, so the pay scale is lower than other occupations requiring 5 years of college and ongoing professional licensure and training. Nursing, teaching, social work. All highly skilled fields with a big investment in education, making nowhere close to male dominated occupations in the private sector with commensurate educational/professional requirements . It is because they are "pink collar." Deny it all you like.

RN's make a ton of money once they get past the "need experience" hump. Teaching and social work often do not require specific degrees, and those that do require education degrees.... Lets just say the education majors at my college were only 2nd to the business majors when it came to going out 4 nights a freaking week.
Engineers, Accountants, Pre-Meds, we were lucks if we got our 2-3, and it was usually on an off night (wednesday) when we didn't have labs on the alternating thursdays.

Pardon me, but your information shows a bias to elementary and middle schools. High school teachers usually have a degree in a topic, and not in education. They take additional education courses for their teacher certifications.

For example, I have an undergraduate degree in one of my subject areas, and did not get my teacher certification in that subject and courses for my second certification until 14 years after that.

So you didn't go out 4 nights a week?

What was your subject area?

I started out as Aerospace Engineering, switched to computer science, but had to get a history degree for my commission because my scholarship was running out. I finished that entire history degree coursework in 3 academic quarters, taking about 21 hours each term.

So, no, you didn't go out 4 nights a week.

No. I went out exactly zero nights a week.

RN's make a ton of money once they get past the "need experience" hump. Teaching and social work often do not require specific degrees, and those that do require education degrees.... Lets just say the education majors at my college were only 2nd to the business majors when it came to going out 4 nights a freaking week.
Engineers, Accountants, Pre-Meds, we were lucks if we got our 2-3, and it was usually on an off night (wednesday) when we didn't have labs on the alternating thursdays.

Pardon me, but your information shows a bias to elementary and middle schools. High school teachers usually have a degree in a topic, and not in education. They take additional education courses for their teacher certifications.

For example, I have an undergraduate degree in one of my subject areas, and did not get my teacher certification in that subject and courses for my second certification until 14 years after that.

So you didn't go out 4 nights a week?

What was your subject area?

I started out as Aerospace Engineering, switched to computer science, but had to get a history degree for my commission because my scholarship was running out. I finished that entire history degree coursework in 3 academic quarters, taking about 21 hours each term.

So, no, you didn't go out 4 nights a week.

No. I went out exactly zero nights a week.

Noted.

Public school teachers got the day off to attend (or participate otherwise) in a "protest."

Illustrates the total unreality of public sector employment, and in particular under collective bargaining. People in the Real World would have done this under threat of summary termination.

It's only one day but Ronaldus Maximus showed us the best way to deal with government employee uprisings.

Public school teachers got the day off to attend (or participate otherwise) in a "protest."

Illustrates the total unreality of public sector employment, and in particular under collective bargaining. People in the Real World would have done this under threat of summary termination.

It's only one day but Ronaldus Maximus showed us the best way to deal with government employee uprisings.

No. They didn't get the "day off" except for the fact that they did not want to have a large number of teachers take a day off or sick day and not have enough supervision for the students. They did not get paid for that day and will likely have to make it up before the end of the school, just like a snow day.

That being said, the reasons for the protest are simply stupidity taken to the nth degree..

Forum List

Back