Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Stifles Free Speech at Fox News

the problem is not the damage he might conceivably do to Murdoch. the problem is we have a foreign prince who gets veto power what goes over the air on the largest cable news network. Not coerced even, but granted as a right.

Money talks.

No one is obliged to listen. The fact that Fox does listen is a huge knock to them,.

While I have been banging away on this topic, the reality is, as corrupt as this makes FOX, they are still way better than anything else out there. That is what is really pathetic.

If he dumped his shares, all at once, it would could cause quite a hit to the company if done right.

I'm not saying that they couldn't recover...but to think that he doesn't have quite a bit influence and control over the company is just plain silly.

Let's look at the numbers. Do you have any idea how many shares of NWS trade every day? about 4.5 million. Over the last 12 months the shares have fluctuated from a low of about $5.00 to a high of around $17.00 per share. There are 798 milllion shares outstanding trading at rougky $15.00 per share. If prince fucknuts tried to sell every share he had (approx. 55 million shares) he'd effect the market for 2-3 weeks at worst. Murdoch could buy every share himself and not even hiccup. Afterwards, a properly crafted press release by Murdoch would render the entire event a footnote. Sorry, you are wrong. Prince douche bag has very little power.

So the market could flood with nearly a BILLION dollars of NewsCorp shares...from just one person...at one time...and the company wouldn't be hurt?

Yeah...keep telling yourself that.
Short term the share price would drop. But stocks are valued by their EARNINGS. Prince douche bag dumping shares would not effect their earnings one bit. It would merely create a buying opportunity for savvy investors. After one quarter the market would say "prince who'?

PS- Do you have any idea how much money Rupert Murdoch has? :lol: he could buy every share and pay cash. He has an net worth of at least $8 billion.

Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is the largest shareholder outside the family of News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch. Republicans always agree with Fox. 15 of 19 of the hijackers were from Arabia.

OHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!

Republicans are on the side of the terrorists. RUN!! SCREAM IN FEAR!!

Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns a 7 percent stake in News Corp

That is from the link in the OP

I doubt seriously that 7% ownership in any company allows you to dictate that much.

What percentage does Murdoch own I wonder?

7% is like 200 million shares ... I'd say he has some sway ...

Quick question for all you FAUX Noise douchebags................

You know about buying shares, right? You also know that you watch what happens, to make sure that your investment continues to bear dividends as well....otherwise you'd sell.

Did you ever think that the Saudi was doing the same thing, and not only watching, but learning how the WH under Bush Jr. (frat boy idiot) operated?

Why else do you think OBL was able to hide for so long?

Let's look at the numbers. Do you have any idea how many shares of NWS trade every day? about 4.5 million. Over the last 12 months the shares have fluctuated from a low of about $5.00 to a high of around $17.00 per share. There are 798 milllion shares outstanding trading at rougky $15.00 per share. If prince fucknuts tried to sell every share he had (approx. 55 million shares) he'd effect the market for 2-3 weeks at worst. Murdoch could buy every share himself and not even hiccup. Afterwards, a properly crafted press release by Murdoch would render the entire event a footnote. Sorry, you are wrong. Prince douche bag has very little power.

So the market could flood with nearly a BILLION dollars of NewsCorp shares...from just one person...at one time...and the company wouldn't be hurt?

Yeah...keep telling yourself that.
Short term the share price would drop. But stocks are valued by their EARNINGS. Prince douche bag dumping shares would not effect their earnings one bit. It would merely create a buying opportunity for savvy investors. After one quarter the market would say "prince who'?

PS- Do you have any idea how much money Rupert Murdoch has? :lol: he could buy every share and pay cash. He has an net worth of at least $8 billion.

So I'm guessing you missed the part where I said
I'm not saying that they couldn't recover...but to think that he doesn't have quite a bit influence and control over the company is just plain silly.

And if he dumped his shares at the right time, he could cause a short term sell off of NewCorp shares. Which ALSO would hit the company hard.

Quick question for all you FAUX Noise douchebags................

You know about buying shares, right? You also know that you watch what happens, to make sure that your investment continues to bear dividends as well....otherwise you'd sell.

Did you ever think that the Saudi was doing the same thing, and not only watching, but learning how the WH under Bush Jr. (frat boy idiot) operated?

Why else do you think OBL was able to hide for so long?

:cuckoo:

Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns a 7 percent stake in News Corp

That is from the link in the OP

I doubt seriously that 7% ownership in any company allows you to dictate that much.

What percentage does Murdoch own I wonder?

Murdoch owns most of the voting shares. There is an A and a B class.

As for the premise in the OP, I don't know if it is true or not. I have been involved in media companies in the past, and the supposed influence by owners of media companies on the media outlets themselves is overblown by people trying to make a political point IMHO. However, 7% is enough to give you some influence on any corporation. Prince Alwaleed has been able to influence Citigroup, in which he has a 5% stake.

Can anyone actually tell us what this Prince may have influenced? Just exactly what is the claim? Because all I can find is accusations. And then only on one subject.

Since then, al-Waleed has formed multiple connections with Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., the owner of Fox News. In September 2005, he acquired 5.46% of voting shares in News Corp., and just a few months later, when Fox ran coverage of riots in Paris under the banner "Muslim riots," he allegedly phoned Murdoch and had him change the heading to "civil riots

Murdoch’s News Corp. cements ties with Saudi prince | Raw Story

This is very very very bad.

This is an interesting factoid I didnt know about before, and it just isnt good that a foreign power can dictate the content of our news

It's also bad that foreign powers can now donate unlimited amounts of political campaigns.

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. You have literally millions of ways to get News. Television is not the first choice for most people.

Of course we do. What is shocking to me is that the Prince is making Fox News alter the way they report some things, and repressing the reporting of things all together. WTH?
The same pressure is applied to politicians, just after the fact when they are out office ,with huge paydays to those who speak no evil against Islamic states.

Can anyone actually tell us what this Prince may have influenced? Just exactly what is the claim? Because all I can find is accusations. And then only on one subject.

Since then, al-Waleed has formed multiple connections with Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., the owner of Fox News. In September 2005, he acquired 5.46% of voting shares in News Corp., and just a few months later, when Fox ran coverage of riots in Paris under the banner "Muslim riots," he allegedly phoned Murdoch and had him change the heading to "civil riots

Murdoch’s News Corp. cements ties with Saudi prince | Raw Story
Seems the princes has learned discretion is the better part of valor.

You will be seeing fairly positive news about Islam and how there is no such thing as Islamic terrorism.

And World Net Daily is Mad!

Last weekend, at the right-wing Constitutional Coalition’s annual conference in St. Louis, Joseph Farah, publisher of the far right WorldNetDaily, blasted Fox News for its relationship with Alwaleed. Farah noted correctly that Alwaleed had boasted in the past about forcing Fox News to change its content relating to its coverage of riots in Paris, and warned that such foreign ownership of American media is “really dangerous.” ThinkProgress was at the speech and observed attendees of the conference murmuring and shaking their heads in disapproval:

Think Progress Conservative Activists Rebel Against Fox News: Saudi Ownership Is ‘Really Dangerous For America’

When you have evidence that Alwaleed's 7 percent has any authoritative control, let me know. Until then you have nothing!

Know what I find the most interesting?

In a round about way, Bush Jr.'s presidency was helped by the Saudis, the same people who financed 9/11.

Might explain why he was holding hands with one in Crawford (and STILL got screwed on the oil deals).

And World Net Daily is Mad!

Last weekend, at the right-wing Constitutional Coalition’s annual conference in St. Louis, Joseph Farah, publisher of the far right WorldNetDaily, blasted Fox News for its relationship with Alwaleed. Farah noted correctly that Alwaleed had boasted in the past about forcing Fox News to change its content relating to its coverage of riots in Paris, and warned that such foreign ownership of American media is “really dangerous.” ThinkProgress was at the speech and observed attendees of the conference murmuring and shaking their heads in disapproval:

Think Progress Conservative Activists Rebel Against Fox News: Saudi Ownership Is ‘Really Dangerous For America’

When you have evidence that Alwaleed's 7 percent has any authoritative control, let me know. Until then you have nothing!

Isn't "influence" bad enough?

This is very very very bad.

This is an interesting factoid I didnt know about before, and it just isnt good that a foreign power can dictate the content of our news

It's also bad that foreign powers can now donate unlimited amounts of political campaigns.

100% PURE BULLSHIT. You're just making shit up now.

Probably not understanding the facts. Since American Corporations now have "human rights status" as "American Citizens", under "free speech", they have the right to run as many political ads as they want.

For instance, The Swift-boaters spending huge amounts of money to discredit John Kerry, or Moveon.org spending money to discredit John McCain. These organizations didn't give money to Obama or Bush directly, but they certainly had influence in the election process.

For instance, CITGO Petroleum Company is an American Company. It was founded in this country, it's chartered as an American company and employs Americans. However, it was "purchased" by Hugo Chavez, but it's still based in America and the government here recognizes it as an "American Company". They can spend 100% of their profits here in our political campaigns, but it has to be money made here, not, "flown in from overseas".

So "yes", in a roundabout way, foreigners (see Hugo Chavez) can indeed spend unlimited money in our elections. Well, now they can. That was what the Supreme Court allowed.

I hope that helped.

Forum List

Back