Primitive Technology *vids*

One of the coolest things i've seen along these lines was watching a guy, I think an aboriginal Australian, fishing using a kite dragging a stick with spider webs wrapped around it. The fish he was after was similar to a garr with a long snout and many needle like teeth which would get stuck in the spider web. Too cool.

One of the coolest things i've seen along these lines was watching a guy, I think an aboriginal Australian, fishing using a kite dragging a stick with spider webs wrapped around it. The fish he was after was similar to a garr with a long snout and many needle like teeth which would get stuck in the spider web. Too cool.
Was that something you saw online? Can you post a link?
It sounds cool.

It sounds cool.

All kidding aside I can start a fire with a bow and I could easily survive in the woods with a few basic items and in fact did in my younger days.

A compact fishing pole and or a .22 and the living is easy.
I've never tried starting a fire with sticks. It's something I'd like to try.

All kidding aside I can start a fire with a bow and I could easily survive in the woods with a few basic items and in fact did in my younger days.

A compact fishing pole and or a .22 and the living is easy.
I've never tried starting a fire with sticks. It's something I'd like to try.

Using a fire bow is pretty easy.

It sounds cool.

Thanks for finding this. Although this isn't the exact video I saw. I almost want to say the guy on "River Monsters" did a segment on it(don't quote me on that). I was obviously off on the aboriginal australian part, this video was the identical technique.

This has been on my mind for a long time. I live in the Cleveland area and we have some excellent kiting areas right on the lake, I've been threatening to try some "kite fishing", not with the spider web of course but hey even on a lure I'm pretty sure anything I caught would be a state kite fishing record.

It sounds cool.

Thanks for finding this. Although this isn't the exact video I saw. I almost want to say the guy on "River Monsters" did a segment on it(don't quote me on that). I was obviously off on the aboriginal australian part, this video was the identical technique.

This has been on my mind for a long time. I live in the Cleveland area and we have some excellent kiting areas right on the lake, I've been threatening to try some "kite fishing", not with the spider web of course but hey even on a lure I'm pretty sure anything I caught would be a state kite fishing record.

The kite fishing is interesting but we just use a kayak on the Gulf.
There's a group of guys on lake Livingston here in Texas that RC boats to drop lines for catfish along the dam.

It sounds cool.

There's a group of guys on lake Livingston here in Texas that RC boats to drop lines for catfish along the dam.

I love the RC boat idea. The kayak is something I've considered for the kite idea as it would allow for more motion than trying to do it from shore, particularly with a bunch of other kites in the area. It would also negate the need for specific wind patterns. Who knows maybe this thread will push me over the edge and get me to try it. I already have the kayak, kites and fishing gear. Could be my ticket to 15 minutes of local celebrity. I could go down in history as the father of Great Lakes Kite Fishing. OK not exactly up there with Tesla but it would be fun. I know some guys that work for the state Dept Nat Resources that would howl in laughter when I informed them that they had to update the state fishing records. The best part is they'd do it in a heart beat.

It sounds cool.

I love the RC boat idea. The kayak is something I've considered for the kite idea as it would allow for more motion than trying to do it from shore, particularly with a bunch of other kites in the area. It would also negate the need for specific wind patterns. Who knows maybe this thread will push me over the edge and get me to try it. I already have the kayak, kites and fishing gear. Could be my ticket to 15 minutes of local celebrity. I could go down in history as the father of Great Lakes Kite Fishing. OK not exactly up there with Tesla but it would be fun. I know some guys that work for the state Dept Nat Resources that would howl in laughter when I informed them that they had to update the state fishing records. The best part is they'd do it in a heart beat.

I've got everything I'd need for kite fishing except for a prevailing wind.
The wind off the Gulf coast is primarily from the South so kite fishing is kind of impossible.

But taking the kayaks to either drop bait a couple of hundred yards offshore or out to the rigs 12 miles offshore has been really productive.

You're into kingfish,snapper,ling,shark and a host of other species.
And you get the special Texas sleigh ride when you hook a big shark.

It sounds cool.

I've got everything I'd need for kite fishing except for a prevailing wind.
The wind off the Gulf coast is primarily from the South so kite fishing is kind of impossible.

But taking the kayaks to either drop bait a couple of hundred yards offshore or out to the rigs 12 miles offshore has been really productive.

You're into kingfish,snapper,ling,shark and a host of other species.
And you get the special Texas sleigh ride when you hook a big shark.

The sleigh rides sound like a riot. I'd show up just for that. Of course nothing in Lake Erie big enough for that. I also have to admit that at times being far off shore in a kayak even in the lake can intimidate me. It's not the ocean but can kick up in a heartbeat.

I was laughing about this whole idea with my nephew and a couple of his buddies, they do a lot of wind surfing on the lake and decided they were going to be the fathers of wind surfing fishing, dragging a lure behind them. I pointed out that it was going to be difficult to feel a bite, I don't think they care, they're just enough of a bunch of goofballs to try it. The whole conversation went off the rails when they decided that what they really wanted to see from me was to tie a lure on to my golden retrievers collar when she swims with me at a local beach. Which of course led to a discussion of designing a dog friendly reel and whether you would need separate categories for goldens, labs etc.

Forum List

Back