Pride In America: Why Image Is Important

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
if you've been blessed to travel or spend time overseas, or been part of something like military service, aid or mission work overseas.... there is a pride you can't help but feel, not only in what you're doing, but what you're representing to the people of the country you are in.

i finally understand the american pride my parents have, the pride leaders like kennedy and reagan had in great abundance in america, and also in what their fellow americans can do.

i've seen my countrymen and women do some amazing things, and i pray that there will continue to be more of these amazing things like the liberation of afghanistan and iraq, the first private craft into space (an american), etc etc, and very few abuse scandals and embarassing intelligence failures... these do detract from our image, and believe me, folks you know in foreign countries let you know about this, not so much in angry terms but in a disapointed term "you're supposed to be different, supposed to be better than this, america".

america is the ideal of the world. our achievements are not an insult to the peoples of the world, but an inspiration, our image not a point of jealousy (for anyone except some european leaders and countries) but a reflection of the best mankind can achieve.

that's why i can understand the criticism bush has recieved for alienating allies at times. some of those allies aren't good allies (france, germany to an extent) ,some of them shouldn't be our allies anyway (pakistan, saudi arabia) and some of these allies have been legitamately frustrated (britain, poland, india). we should focus on repairing the ties with the last group and maintain a cautious, polite distance with the first two groups.

our actions, whether we like it or not, are under the microscope. people pay great attention to what america does. when we go around saying we don't need the geneva conventions, or certain people shouldn't fall under our constitution,or to hell with what people think.. we should be wary. people around the world get worried, and rightly so, less out of a selfish self-interest, but out of a concern for the ideal of america being tarnished. for some, this nation represents the last great hope of mankind, and i agree with them.

there are some who criticize these actions taken by pres. bush because they don't understand what pride is, they can only see america as the enemy and the problem. i say it, because we're better than this. we can beat the terrorists, we can convict the terrorists, we can win the war on terror, all within our existing legal framework and existing treaty agreements. we don't need to support or coddle dictatorships (pakistan, uzbekistan, turkemenstan) to win this thing, especially when we're calling for democracy and freedom across the world to take hold.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
if you've been blessed to travel or spend time overseas, or been part of something like military service, aid or mission work overseas.... there is a pride you can't help but feel, not only in what you're doing, but what you're representing to the people of the country you are in.

i finally understand the american pride my parents have, the pride leaders like kennedy and reagan had in great abundance in america, and also in what their fellow americans can do.

i've seen my countrymen and women do some amazing things, and i pray that there will continue to be more of these amazing things like the liberation of afghanistan and iraq, the first private craft into space (an american), etc etc, and very few abuse scandals and embarassing intelligence failures... these do detract from our image, and believe me, folks you know in foreign countries let you know about this, not so much in angry terms but in a disapointed term "you're supposed to be different, supposed to be better than this, america".

america is the ideal of the world. our achievements are not an insult to the peoples of the world, but an inspiration, our image not a point of jealousy (for anyone except some european leaders and countries) but a reflection of the best mankind can achieve.

that's why i can understand the criticism bush has recieved for alienating allies at times. some of those allies aren't good allies (france, germany to an extent) ,some of them shouldn't be our allies anyway (pakistan, saudi arabia) and some of these allies have been legitamately frustrated (britain, poland, india). we should focus on repairing the ties with the last group and maintain a cautious, polite distance with the first two groups.

our actions, whether we like it or not, are under the microscope. people pay great attention to what america does. when we go around saying we don't need the geneva conventions, or certain people shouldn't fall under our constitution,or to hell with what people think.. we should be wary. people around the world get worried, and rightly so, less out of a selfish self-interest, but out of a concern for the ideal of america being tarnished. for some, this nation represents the last great hope of mankind, and i agree with them.

there are some who criticize these actions taken by pres. bush because they don't understand what pride is, they can only see america as the enemy and the problem. i say it, because we're better than this. we can beat the terrorists, we can convict the terrorists, we can win the war on terror, all within our existing legal framework and existing treaty agreements. we don't need to support or coddle dictatorships (pakistan, uzbekistan, turkemenstan) to win this thing, especially when we're calling for democracy and freedom across the world to take hold.
Hopefully you will foreward this post to all media outlets since they are the worst offenders.

Agreed diioduck! Good post Nato,but I do feel a lot of the picking on we get is out of jealousy. I was on another board a while ago and they were picking on Americans for not knowing enough about other cultures. "Why are we better traveled"? they asked. Someone finally responded that when Americans want to travel to lets say Europe,it costs a lot more money than it does most of the world. It's a bigger trip and a lot more work. I say,why should I have to travel to please the rest of the world?! I am happy here in Ohio with my own family,living my live. If I want to learn about another culture,I will read a book..

My point is,that we are always going to get picked on because we are on top,no matter how justified what are doing is. Unfortunately,at the same time,our own media is against us. It is hard for good citizens like you and me not to get angry and spout off that we are that biggest and the best. We are,and I think we all just get a little tired of the constant whining and bitching out of Europe. If you go to boards with people from other countries on them,they make fun of us. Yes,a lot of people do love America,but we will never know to what extent because our press doesn't want us to know,then they wouldn't have a story.

i agree wholeheartedly, and though i've argued the opposite in the past two years, it finally has dawned on me that there are several european countries that think their system is better than ours, and have begun to seriously believe they are better than us, they know more than us, they are more skilled than us. they seem to have a supremacist attitude towards america. that's sickening and sad, because its grounded in fantasy.

everywhere else i've gone, i haven't seen that much of it, but i've just started seeing the world (last 4 years) so who knows?

and hey, you watch the media you think the world's coming to an end everyday and we're always wrong no matter what we do.

outrage over the Abu Graib (sp) that the US is different..
The world knows what kind of people we are and was surprised. It's their surprise that indicates they understand the superiority of the American way of life and moral understanding...
Get it liberals? Why do I ask? Libs are the most closed minded people in our society.
I suggest to all Libs the reading of "The Closing of the American Mind" by Dr. Alan Bloom. Read it back in '88 and it confirmed what I'd been thinking myself; libs are bull-headed morons...

Forum List

Back