Pretty sad how little interest in science

If you want to see something happen, you have to do it yourself. As the saying goes, be the change you want to see in the world
furryfurrer.jpg

You want to talk science, post some science. Not a modern religion posing as science. But something you think interesting you want to discuss.

Now here is an interesting article that should start fires in the race relations section
An analysis of differences, or mutations, at single base pairs on the ancient Greenlander’s nuclear genome indicates that his father’s ancestors came from northeastern Siberia, report geneticist Morten Rasmussen of the Natural History Museum of Denmark in Copenhagen and his colleagues in the Feb. 11 Nature. Three modern hunter-gatherer groups in that region — the Nganasans, Koryaks and Chukchis — display a closer genetic link to the Greenland individual than do Native American groups living in cold northern areas of North America, Rasmussen says.

A largely complete mitochondrial DNA sequence from the ancient man’s hair, extracted by the same researchers in 2008, places his maternal ancestry in northeastern Asia as well.

Danish-led excavations more than 20 years ago unearthed four fragmentary bones and several hair tufts belonging to this ancient man, dubbed Inuk. His remains were found at a site from the Saqqaq culture, the earliest known people to have inhabited Greenland. Saqqaq people lived in Greenland from around 4,750 to 2,500 years ago. One popular hypothesis traces Saqqaq ancestry to Native American groups that had settled Arctic parts of Alaska and Canada by 11,000 years ago.

Last edited:
Well, :lol: the topic had something to do with lack of interest in science, and the thread morphed into another snowball fight

At any rate USMB is a multitude of thread topics, including science, but more so it's a political forum. I am sure most in here have an average or higher interest in science, but the day to day survival and direction of the country has a little more importance to many, what good is science to the average person if they are unemployed, broke and under control of a government that doesn't have a clue?

There are so many science related sites on the web it's awesome. This one for instance.

Science Daily: News & Articles in Science, Health, Environment & Technology

and this one I used in the 90's with a 16Mhz computer.

Martindale's "The Reference Desk" - Business, Math, Science, Engineering, Technology, Language, Medical, Veterinary, Livestock, Gardening, Photography, Music, Recipes, etc.

Enjoy..........:eusa_angel:

While I don't disagree with you at all, I am on this forum for discussion of politics, primarily. I can get my fill of science, and damn good science, elsewhere.

That post made me horney and hot for some science filling.

So many cool things in science, all forms of science. Yet every forum I"ve been on, including this one, nobody seems all that interested. Kind of sad, they would rather babble on about partisan nonsense, call each other names, etc than actually discuss many of the amazing things this world has to offer.

Then post some, instead pissing and moaning about everything. Ironic as hell that you would complain about name calling and partisan nonsense. Since you've joined I've yet to read anything from you that wasn't a snide insult to either the board at large or whoever you're responding to.

Well, the assholes and trolls on this forum can bring that out in worst in you. Kind of like you, another internet tough guy that has to go around attacking and criticizing peopel and making shit up like "pissing and moanin" Yes, making a post is "pissing and moaning". with dicks like you, you wonder why?

So many cool things in science, all forms of science. Yet every forum I"ve been on, including this one, nobody seems all that interested. Kind of sad, they would rather babble on about partisan nonsense, call each other names, etc than actually discuss many of the amazing things this world has to offer.

Then post some, instead pissing and moaning about everything. Ironic as hell that you would complain about name calling and partisan nonsense. Since you've joined I've yet to read anything from you that wasn't a snide insult to either the board at large or whoever you're responding to.

Well, the assholes and trolls on this forum can bring that out in worst in you. Kind of like you, another internet tough guy that has to go around attacking and criticizing peopel and making shit up like "pissing and moanin" Yes, making a post is "pissing and moaning". with dicks like you, you wonder why?

:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

Another Cool article about Climate Change on Mars.

Once Martian sand grains hop, they don’t stop.

That’s the conclusion of a new study that finds sand can move on Mars without much windy encouragement.

Mars’ sandy surface has clearly been shaped by wind. Its characteristic dunes and ripples are the kind formed by sand particles taking short wind-borne hops, a process called saltation.

But atmospheric simulations and landers’ direct measurements of wind speed have found that the Martian wind hardly ever blows hard enough to kick sand grains off the ground in the first place.

The new paper, to appear in an upcoming Physical Review Letters, suggests a solution to this paradox: a kind of billiard-ball effect in which one sand particle knocks the next one into motion. “It’s much easier to keep this process going than it is to start it in the first place,” says study author Jasper Kok, an atmospheric physicist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., who did most of this research while at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. “It’s like when you ride a bike: It costs a lot of exertion to get it going, but once you’re going it’s easier to keep going.”

Kok modified a numerical model, previously applied to geological processes on Earth, to include Martian gravity and atmospheric conditions. Unlike in other models, Kok simulated a process called splashing, in which a flying sand particle knocks at least one new grain into the air as it smacks into the ground.

“That’s hard to study in a wind tunnel,” notes planetary scientist Robert Sullivan of Cornell University. The study “goes numerically where we have a hard time going with wind tunnel experiments,” he says.
Dune_mystery

And of course, being the science genious that you are, you still have not even bothered to answer my questions about that global warming theory you have. Let me repeat them just in case you forgot.

1. Why has Mars warmed to the same degree the Earth has?

2. How do you explain why CO2 emmisions has risen and the Earth temperatures have cooled?

Is it because you can't????:lol::lol::lol:

Call each other names?? let me see, I think that you have been a primary source of name calling, especially when you can't answer valid questions.:lol::lol::lol:

Who even knows what idiot thing you think you're talking about? And you have two people saying thanks?
Earth Temps have cooled? The second hottest year on record and that's cooling?
And Mars has same temperature as Earth? I'm not even going to bother looking it up because the knowledge is so common. Earth's average temp is about 15 or 16 degrees C and Mars is like 60 degrees C BELOW ZERO.
Also, Mars has no magnetic field or nearly none because the core is cold. Umm, do you think there is any connection between temp and magnetic field? What does the magnetic field do? Which is closer to the sun? Mars or earth?

I bet you believe in "magical creation". Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
The science section on this site is actually more for announcing some type of "breakthrough" or "discovery". It's so one sided, there isn't much real debate.

On one side, you have Democratic or Liberal nerds who actually know what they are talking about and on the other, you have Republcians who believe "science" is a "religion" and get mad when people laugh at them for saying things that are, well, "laughable".

The science section on this site is actually more for announcing some type of "breakthrough" or "discovery". It's so one sided, there isn't much real debate.

On one side, you have Democratic or Liberal nerds who actually know what they are talking about and on the other, you have Republcians who believe "science" is a "religion" and get mad when people laugh at them for saying things that are, well, "laughable".
I wonder why you say that I would believe science is a religion.

what HE believes is science is a religion, and he worships at the alter of AlGore

what HE believes is science is a religion, and he worships at the alter of AlGore

al gore != science

Al Gore is not a scientist. Once again, Republicans say the absurd. Oh, and don't forget the lies. They always lie. Only lately, they haven't been as good at it. The were able to convince our nation of an imaginary danger which nearly bankrupted our economy. More and more, people are understanding that they are NOT "pro America".

If you believe that "Noah's Ark" is a historical event and evolution is a lie, then you believe that "science" is a religion. How could you not?

I'm always curious about nanotechnology. Particularly the upcoming work in programmable matter aka "quantum wells" and the like. We're entering a very interesting world.

If you believe that "Noah's Ark" is a historical event and evolution is a lie, then you believe that "science" is a religion. How could you not?
Tell Dr. Hibbert to move his thumb and have the crayon removed.

Tsk, tsk, redean. You're trying to weasel out of your hasty generalization about Republicans. You claimed that Republicans believe that science is a religion. I am a Republican, and that is simply not true.

You are quite illogical. First you make a hasty generalization, a fallacy which is easy enough to demonstrate, then you attempt to weasel out of it.

If you want to be taken seriously in a tread about science, you have just made a joke of yourself.

Forget about Noah's Ark, as it's irrelevant.

It's not too late to redeem yourself, at least, in THIS thread. I can't do anything about the other threads where your obsessions and delusions manifest themselves in your first post there.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back