Pressure Mounting on the Romneys to Release More Tax Records

Oh, so what you're saying is he's more transparent regarding this issue than Obama has been on dozens of other, more important issues. Hell, i'm still waiting to see the heath care negotiations on C-Span........

Not sure about that. Taxes and how we fund the government is a central issue for this election. You lose the moral authority to tax others when you're not willing to personally share the burden to a greater extent. If he's going to ask others to sacrifice, he must be willing to make the sacrifice himself. Clearly the Governor is ringing hollow in his messaging. And they didn't see this coming?

I'm sure whatever is in the records isn't as bad as he thinks it will be for his Presidential bid.

In case you missed it, the ACA is now law; no more negotiating.

The fact that Romney wants lower taxes for ALL americans that actually pay taxes contradicts your holier than thou argument.

Obamacare is now law indeed, but i missed the negotiations on C-Span and have been hoping to catch it on a re-run. I haven't caught it yet, but it surely had to happen because the President and all his moral authority promised it at least 20 times.

Actually no it does not but thanks for playing our game. There are some nice parting gifts for you.

If the Governor wants to pay less than 13%, that's unfortunate for his Presidential Aspirations. You do speak the truth though.

If he wanted to raise taxes on Adelson and the Koch Brothes, do you really think they'd be cutting enormous checks to his campaign and supporting his bid?

He does want to cut taxes on people like himself. So when he wants to raise taxes on people far removed from his circumstance, the Governor loses credibility. Which is why Obama is winning and will win the contest.

Who is ET?

No, what I mean is that Romney responded to the question with detail...saying "HE" looked at it and he didn't pay less than "13 percent". Once you accept the premises, you make the question valid.

So now, the press will say, "That doesnt' sound that bad (although it's less of a percentage than most people pay)" There must be something else...

It's bizarre that they didn't see this pitfall coming after 8 years of running for President. It would be one thing if he hadn't been seen as an aloof aristocrat for every day of those 8 years but the Governor's serious image problem is highlighted, punctuated, and amplified by this issue which has now become part of HIS dialogue.

Oh, so what you're saying is he's more transparent regarding this issue than Obama has been on dozens of other, more important issues. Hell, i'm still waiting to see the heath care negotiations on C-Span........

Not sure about that. Taxes and how we fund the government is a central issue for this election. You lose the moral authority to tax others when you're not willing to personally share the burden to a greater extent. If he's going to ask others to sacrifice, he must be willing to make the sacrifice himself. Clearly the Governor is ringing hollow in his messaging. And they didn't see this coming?

I'm sure whatever is in the records isn't as bad as he thinks it will be for his Presidential bid.

Care to share why Obama thinks he has the moral authority to ask others to pay more when he's avoiding paying more by hiding his income in his children's names?

Care to share why Obama thinks he has the moral authority to ask others to pay more when he's avoiding paying more by hiding his income in his children's names?

He is? Are they in the Caymans too?

Obama is on record as saying that people like himself should be paying more in taxes. The response from the GOP has been a whimper.

Obama is on record as saying that people like himself should be paying more in taxes. The response from the GOP has been a whimper.

Thank you for pointing out the Obama hypocrisy so nicely. Obama DID say that people like him should be paying more and THEN chose to shelter his money. If Obama really meant what he said, he'd have paid taxes on all his income.

taxes-birth-cert_n.jpg

Thank you for pointing out the Obama hypocrisy so nicely. Obama DID say that people like him should be paying more and THEN chose to shelter his money. If Obama really meant what he said, he'd have paid taxes on all his income.

Do you really want to have a discussion about tax shelters sonny? Hey...what is it you guys say...It's all legal! LOL.

Meanwhile, back in reality; the Governor has now made the tax issue part of his dialogue by stating that he's never paid less than 13%. Obviously the questions have penetrated the campaign and this is the first of many concessions he will have to make.

So it begins...

Do you really want to have a discussion about tax shelters sonny? Hey...what is it you guys say...It's all legal! LOL.

Meanwhile, back in reality; the Governor has now made the tax issue part of his dialogue by stating that he's never paid less than 13%. Obviously the questions have penetrated the campaign and this is the first of many concessions he will have to make.

So it begins...

If you don't want to discuss Obama's tax shelters then Romney's have NO relevance. It's not Romney going around telling people that he should pay more while doing all he can to pay less. So let's discuss hypocrisy. Obama wants to talk the talk but when given the chance to walk the walk, he declines. His lack of integrity is on full display. Or is this another issue where Obama thinks he should lead from behind?

I could care less about his tax records. Its what he can do for us that matters. We are in crucial times, and obama has dug us into a deep hole. Someone has got to get us outta this mess, and it sure isn't obama. Obama will throw us in the hole and cover it up. Vote obama out!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure that Governor Romney isn't the answer. The tax records would likely settle it once and for all. Look, if you're trying to conect with voters and avail yourself of options not open to them--such as off shore accounts for tax shielding purposes--refusing to come clean about it isn't the way to make that connection. Furthermore, it underlines a portion of the problem; the tax loopholes that even Romney and Ryan say they are going to close.

Well, this is a big one.

Gee, that would never occur to Romney syncopants! It isn't so much the returns as it is his arrogance and not caring. It might show that he is being hypocritical when he says he's going to close some of the very tax loopholes he may have used in his returns--at least cast doubt on what he says in that regard.

So it begins...

If you don't want to discuss Obama's tax shelters then Romney's have NO relevance. It's not Romney going around telling people that he should pay more while doing all he can to pay less. So let's discuss hypocrisy. Obama wants to talk the talk but when given the chance to walk the walk, he declines. His lack of integrity is on full display. Or is this another issue where Obama thinks he should lead from behind?

I'm more than happy discussing it. Obama has released his tax records. The governor has not. Your move.

Romney wanted us to take his word for it a decade ago when he said he had been filing his taxes as a Massachusetts resident. He was lying then. Why should he be believed now?

I could care less about his tax records. Its what he can do for us that matters. We are in crucial times, and obama has dug us into a deep hole. Someone has got to get us outta this mess, and it sure isn't obama. Obama will throw us in the hole and cover it up. Vote obama out!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure that Governor Romney isn't the answer. The tax records would likely settle it once and for all. Look, if you're trying to conect with voters and avail yourself of options not open to them--such as off shore accounts for tax shielding purposes--refusing to come clean about it isn't the way to make that connection. Furthermore, it underlines a portion of the problem; the tax loopholes that even Romney and Ryan say they are going to close.

Well, this is a big one.

Gee, that would never occur to Romney syncopants! It isn't so much the returns as it is his arrogance and not caring. It might show that he is being hypocritical when he says he's going to close some of the very tax loopholes he may have used in his returns--at least cast doubt on what he says in that regard.

Obama's tax forms DEFINITELY show that he's being hypocritical.

Romney wanted us to take his word for it a decade ago when he said he had been filing his taxes as a Massachusetts resident. He was lying then. Why should he be believed now?

Was the truth discovered before or after the election to governor?

As ought to be evident to all, FACTS appear to be much less important to electoral outcomes than the PERCEPTION of the facts.

Now I do not doubt that Romney did nothing wrong when it comes to having paid his taxes.

So why, given these charges, is Romeny refusing to show the American people how much he paid over the last decade?

I think we all understand why he refuses.

Because what we would discover is that Romeny paid a very small percentage of his income. Like a percentage much much lower than the average working person in the USA.

And THAT would be percieved as being unfair, even if Romeny's tax returns were perfectly legal.

After all, Romney's complaint is that the very welathy pay way too high a percentage in taxes.

But it is very likely that if we saw what HE PAID, we would discover that he paid a very low percentage of his income.

In other words the basic thrust of his complaint about taxes would prove to be (at least in HIS case) total bullshit.

THAT is why Romney hesitates to END this story.

Because it would end when Romeny was proven to be just another whining rich boy who enjoys enormous tax breaks that most people cannot enjoy.

Was the truth discovered before or after the election to governor?

Before and get this ... he retroactively made himself a resident.

Republican gubernatorial hopeful Mitt Romney contradicted his previous public statements yesterday, and said for the first time that he did not file Massachusetts income tax returns for 1999 and 2000 as a resident of this state.

At a news conference, Romney said that he filed as a part-year resident for 1999 and a nonresident for 2000. He amended those returns, claiming Massachusetts resident status, on April 2, a week after he announced he was running for governor of Massachusetts and four days before the state Republican convention that endorsed his candidacy.

The Massachusetts Constitution requires a governor to be a resident for each of the seven years prior to the election. Romney has been embroiled in a controversy over his residency since Wednesday, when the Globe reported his home in Park City, Utah, was classified as his “primary residence” for 1999 through 2001, giving him a $54,000 break on his property taxes.

Romney says he didn’t file as Mass. resident in ‘99-’00 - Metro - The Boston Globe

As ought to be evident to all, FACTS appear to be much less important to electoral outcomes than the PERCEPTION of the facts.

Now I do not doubt that Romney did nothing wrong when it comes to having paid his taxes.

So why, given these charges, is Romeny refusing to show the American people how much he paid over the last decade?

Because what we would discover is that Romeny paid a very small percentage of his income. Like a percentage much much lower than the average working person in the USA.

And THAT would be percieved as being unfair, even if Romeny's tax returns were perfectly legal.

After all, Romney's complaint is that the very welathy pay way too high a percentage in taxes.

But it is very likely that if we saw what HE PAID, we would discover that he paid a very low percentage of his income.

In other words the basic thrust of his complaint about taxes would prove to be (at least in HIS case) total bullshit.

Because it would end when Romeny was proven to be just another whining rich boy who enjoys enormous tax breaks that most people cannot enjoy.

And thus blotheth up many bullshit narratives conservatives have been weaving for decades.

This is a dead issue.

The emerging story in American politics is the Screwed Generation.

They are excited about Paul Ryan and the true hope he brings.

Here comes the next wave of conservatism.

That is where I am. I have no doubt that Romney didn't do anything illegal.

That is where I am. I have no doubt that Romney didn't do anything illegal.

I do not believe that. I think there is much more to this super secrecy.

This from Yahoo!

Mitt Romney's wife is pushing back on public pressure for her husband to release additional years of personal tax filings.

In an interview set to air Thursday on NBC's "Rock Center," Ann Romney reiterated that her husband won't release more financial records, insisting it would just provide more fodder for Democratic attacks.

"There's nothing we're hiding," Ann Romney told NBC's Natalie Morales.

Asked why her husband isn't more "transparent," Romney seemed to get a bit irritated, leaning forward in her chair to answer questions.

"Have you seen how we are attacked? Have you seen what's happened?" she said. "We have been very transparent to what's legally required of us. But the more we release, the more we get attacked, the more we get questioned, the more we get pushed. And so we have done what's legally required, and there's going to be no more tax releases given."

The idea that the candidates get to decide what you're allowed to know basically died about 20 years ago (if not sooner).

The Romneys will learn.

More at Ann Romney on tax returns:

How many tax returns did the John Kerry's release in 2003?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back