‘Press 2 for Spanish,’ Similar Programs Cost Billions, but Trump Could End It

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Oh Lord but I hope he does. There’s nothing more irritating than the automatic phone answering systems and, if I wanted to speak to someone in Spanish, I would seek a Hispanic business.

A report from The Washington Times has revealed that billions and billions of dollars have been spent providing language support to non-English speakers. Most of those, ironically enough, speak Spanish — and Trump could redirect that funding with a few signatures from the Oval Office.

The government must stop placing this onerous and costly translation and interpretation burden on Americans, and President Trump has the ability to do so on a speedy basis via a new executive order,” declared Stephen Guschov, who runs the advocacy group ProEnglish.

Much more @ 'Press 2 for Spanish,' Similar Programs Cost Billions, but Trump Could End It

Oh Lord but I hope he does. There’s nothing more irritating than the automatic phone answering systems and, if I wanted to speak to someone in Spanish, I would seek a Hispanic business.

A report from The Washington Times has revealed that billions and billions of dollars have been spent providing language support to non-English speakers. Most of those, ironically enough, speak Spanish — and Trump could redirect that funding with a few signatures from the Oval Office.

The government must stop placing this onerous and costly translation and interpretation burden on Americans, and President Trump has the ability to do so on a speedy basis via a new executive order,” declared Stephen Guschov, who runs the advocacy group ProEnglish.

Much more @ 'Press 2 for Spanish,' Similar Programs Cost Billions, but Trump Could End It
'
I don't care if a phone offers Spanish, French, Hmong, whatever. Simply doesn't apply to me. And this is rarely ---- Okay NEVER --- connected with a "business I seek" so that's total bullshit. Had the OP read his own link he would have seen right at the top that this is about government services.

(THINK ABOUT IT --- how the fuck would Rump of all creatures have the power to prevent "a business I seek" from giving me an option in Norwegian? DUH)

In fact right there in the first paragraph ---- again had the OP read his own link --- is the fatal flaw of illogic that crashes the whole page, to wit: referring to the options as a "wasteful government program being used by foreigners".

Speaking a language other than English is not "being a foreigner". DOUBLE DUH.

>> According to the ACS in 2016, the most common languages spoken at home by people aged five years of age or older are as follows (the most recent data can be found via the U.S. Census Bureau's American Fact-finder):

1. English only – 229.7 million
  2. Spanish – 40.5 million
  3. Chinese (including Mandarin and Cantonese) – 3.4 million
  4. Tagalog (including Filipino) – 1.7 million
  5. Vietnamese – 1.5 million
  6. Arabic – 1.2 million
  7. French – 1.2 million
  8. Korean – 1.1 million
  9. Russian – 0.91 million
  10. German – 0.91 million
  11. Haitian Creole – 0.86 million
  12. Hindi – 0.81 million
  13. Portuguese – 0.77 million
  14. Italian – 0.58 million
  15. Polish – 0.54 million
  16. Urdu – 0.47 million
  17. Japanese – 0.46 million
  18. Persian (including Farsi and Dari) – 0.44 million
  19. Gujarati – 0.41 million
  20. Telugu – 0.37 million
  21. Bengali – 0.32 million
  22. Tai–Kadai (including Thai and Lao) – 0.31 million
  23. Greek – 0.29 million
  24. Punjabi – 0.29 million
  25. Tamil – 0.27 million
  26. Armenian – 0.24 million
  27. Serbo-Croatian (including Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, and Serbian) – 0.24 million
  28. Hebrew – 0.23 million
  29. Hmong – 0.22 million
  30. Bantu (including Swahili) – 0.22 million
  31. Khmer – 0.20 million
  32. Navajo – 0.16 million << (Wiki)
--- That's over sixty million Americans speaking languages other than English. Including a President (Martin van Buren).

So this bullshit article is yet another case of cultural arrogance ass-uming that everyone everywhere MUST be just like them.

What I DO mind is that robot mindlessly saying "to continue in English press 1". Hey robot, you JUST SAID THAT IN ENGLISH, dumbass. So I sit and wait until the system gives up and continues, in English. Fuck them.

Last edited:
In fact right there in the first paragraph ---- again had the OP read his own link --- is the fatal flaw of illogic that crashes the whole page, to wit: referring to the options as a "wasteful government program being used by foreigners".

Foreigners aren't citizens. TRIPLE DUH.

Foreigners aren't citizens. TRIPLE DUH.

Reading is truly a lost art. What a fucking dumbass.

Millions of immigrants pay taxes and have access to government services

The Government is obligated to provide information in the language of the people needing it

Has anyone ever tried to ride a subway in a foreign land? Find a hospital? Read a menu?

Walk a mile in their shoes

Or tried to talk to anybody in Québec.... ;)

Ah layev har in Appalachia, roun' these parts ain't nobody speaks English.

What a horrible fucking tragedy, to have to press a button on a phone.

Grow a pair will you snowflake.

What a horrible fucking tragedy, to have to press a button on a phone.

Grow a pair will you snowflake.

Actually not even that --- the horrific act of terrorism is the knowledge that someone else, somewhere, may be able to press 5 for Portuguese and there's nothing the Fascisti can do to stop them.

onoz-omg.gif
:crybaby:
hair-fire.gif

With computerized translation programs, providing printed material in multiple languages takes a couple of keystrokes

Forum List

Back