~Presley Or Jackson~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson, both very big music icons.
Both have had great songs, put out many albums/CDs and have many fans to this day.
Who is your favorite??
And who do you think has made the biggest influence on the world??

Both have had great songs, put out many albums/CDs and have many fans to this day.
Who is your favorite??

Couldn't stand either. Elvis, long story, not really his fault. Jackson was a pervert and a freak, though I could handle some of his music before he was white.

Elvis is much more influential, and it's really not all that close in my opinion, especially here in America.

Elvis was really the first white person to play black music, and to be accepted by white America. To put things even more into context-this was during segregation. This acceptance of black music, lead to blues, jazz, motown, and eventually rock n roll (mainly through the blues), all to be integrated into the more broad American culture. Without Elvis this process probably would not have happened the same way, and our music (not just rock n roll), and culture as a whole would probably look different.

Jackson was good, but I don't think he really influenced society that much, outside of music.

When I was 6 years old, I was going through my dad's record collection and came across his Elvis records....he was my first love.:)

There's no comparison. Elvis Presley changed forever the course of popular music. He invented Rock and Roll (my apologies to Chuck Berry, but it's a fact). He became an iconic figure in popular culture and oozed sex appeal. Hell! No less a figure than John Lennon said "Guys thought Elvis was sexy! I can't imagine what went on in the libido of women."

Michael Jackson was fodder for the tabloids. Freakishly dangerous, especially to children, and is better off left in the ashcan of history as a cautionary tale for child stars and the new Boogeyman for the children of the 21st century. Good riddance to bad trash.

A better question: Elvis or The Beatles?

There's no comparison. Elvis Presley changed forever the course of popular music. He invented Rock and Roll (my apologies to Chuck Berry, but it's a fact). He became an iconic figure in popular culture and oozed sex appeal. Hell! No less a figure than John Lennon said "Guys thought Elvis was sexy! I can't imagine what went on in the libido of women."

Michael Jackson was fodder for the tabloids. Freakishly dangerous, especially to children, and is better off left in the ashcan of history as a cautionary tale for child stars and the new Boogeyman for the children of the 21st century. Good riddance to bad trash.

A better question: Elvis or The Beatles?

On Elvis Night in Seattle for the Ms vs the Yanks: on the TV broadcast they had a trivia question on Elvis rank in # of records sold in the USA. They showed the top 10.

The Beatles were #1 at 177 million, Elvis was #2 at around 150 million, Garth Brooks was #3, Led Zepp #4 - don't recall the rest of the list ie were the Stones in the Top 10?

Jackson was #11 with around 70 million.

Last edited:
Who is your favorite??

Couldn't stand either. Elvis, long story, not really his fault. Jackson was a pervert and a freak, though I could handle some of his music before he was white.

So I am guessing you are not big on James Brown, Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis either.:doubt:

Thriller is one of the greatest albums ever made. Michael was an incredible dancer.

I'm going with Elvis, though. surprise.

The Beatles vs Elvis - four against one.

Although I think of The Beatles as one entity.

Elvis is far and away #1 solo.

Elvis sold most of his records before and after The Beatles.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back