Presidential Fiat

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vel, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    So many people seem to be missing the major underlying point of the Obama/Church/Birth Control issue. People have let themselves become so lost in the minutia that they've failed to see this for the nightmare it really is. The president of the United States of America has decreed that entity A must provide for entity B just because he says so.

The president of the United States has just ordered private companies to give away for free a service that his own health and human services secretary has repeatedly called a major financial burden.

On what authority? Where does it say that the president can unilaterally order a private company to provide an allegedly free-standing service at no cost to certain select beneficiaries?
    This is government by presidential fiat. In Venezuela, that’s done all the time. Perhaps we should call Obama’s “accommodation” Presidential Decree No. 1.

Charles Krauthammer: Overreach — Obamacare vs. the Constitution - The Washington Post

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    The left have missed the point.

The right have been bang on point.

Government over reach and religious liberty.

Ain't rocket science... but..... apparently above the intellectual pay grade of the borg.

3. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    I noticed that; does this not require Congressional approval?

My question concerning your poll CG, and ectopic pregnancies remains unanswered. I have read two differing opinions on that situation by ALLEGED Catholic scholars. I'd ask for yours as someone well versed on the subject.

4. LibertyForAll

LibertyForAll Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    It seems like people are ok with it when it's their guy doing it. They are too shortsighted or lack the imagination to see that their side will not always be in power. Granting the Office of the President this much power is going to come back and bite all of us.

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    "birth control issue".....emphasis on CONTROL....

6. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    CG.. This really isn't even about religious liberty. It's about the government deciding that one person MUST be responsible for another. Can you give any reason why it should be an employer's job to provide health insurance in the first place? This was once a benefit that the government has attempted to turn into a mandate.

7. jgarden

jgarden Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +201
    From the cost-benefit perspective of the insurance companies, providing contraceptives are far preferable to paying for hospital delivery costs and adding yet another "warm body" to the policy.

As for Catholic institutions, if they are exempt from including contraceptions from their employees' healthcare insurance, can other religious groups, like the Jehovah Witnesses withhold access to blood transfusions from their employees' plans?

There is a solution for all of this - bypass the churches and insurance companies and provide government sponsored healthcare for all citizens financed from general tax revenues!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    What poll and what about ectopic pregnancies? I can't answer questions I haven't seen.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    According to the faiths involved, it is about religious liberty. You may not see it that way, but others do.

No, I can't give a reason because I don't think it should be an employer's responsibility.

10. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    We could debate all the little side tracks of the health care debate or we could get back to the core point which is..

Why should one person have to be responsible for another person's health insurance?