Presidential Debates are a Sham

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
The idea that the presidential debates are "high-risk TV" in which the candidates can be questioned "on any subject matter" is laughable (90 minutes in TV spotlight that will make or break candidates, September 26). The debates are profoundly undemocratic. The "private" corporation that organises them, the Commission on Presidential Debates, was established by the Republican and Democratic national committees in 1986 and serves their interests. Before the debates take place, the two-party organisations jointly draft debate "contracts" which define exactly what will happen during the "debate". This includes screening which topics will be discussed, who can attend the debates, who can ask questions, how long each candidate will have to answer and that there be no candidate-to-candidate questions, no rubuttals and no follow-up questions.

Moreover, the CPD has set criteria that deliberately exclude third-party candidates from taking part. To join the debate, a third-party candidate must be able to demonstrate that they expect to receive 15% of the public vote. This is three times greater than the 5% political parties must achieve to receive major party status and receive public funds.

The polls used to determine expected support are not required to list candidates other than those from the two main parties. This stage management does not lead to a debate but a glorified press conference.

Letters: Presidential debates are a stitch-up | World news | The Guardian

The idea that the presidential debates are "high-risk TV" in which the candidates can be questioned "on any subject matter" is laughable (90 minutes in TV spotlight that will make or break candidates, September 26). The debates are profoundly undemocratic. The "private" corporation that organises them, the Commission on Presidential Debates, was established by the Republican and Democratic national committees in 1986 and serves their interests. Before the debates take place, the two-party organisations jointly draft debate "contracts" which define exactly what will happen during the "debate". This includes screening which topics will be discussed, who can attend the debates, who can ask questions, how long each candidate will have to answer and that there be no candidate-to-candidate questions, no rubuttals and no follow-up questions.

Moreover, the CPD has set criteria that deliberately exclude third-party candidates from taking part. To join the debate, a third-party candidate must be able to demonstrate that they expect to receive 15% of the public vote. This is three times greater than the 5% political parties must achieve to receive major party status and receive public funds.

The polls used to determine expected support are not required to list candidates other than those from the two main parties. This stage management does not lead to a debate but a glorified press conference.

Letters: Presidential debates are a stitch-up | World news | The Guardian

Part of the Dog and Pony Show to make people feel like they really make a difference.
They may as well debate on the Simpson's.

Actually a press conference would be better.

When are McCain and Palin going to hold one?

I think Obama had two last week.

I would prefer a debate if they weren't fixed. Most press conferences are also fixed. I feel sorry for everyone voting for McCain or Obama.

I would prefer a debate if they weren't fixed. Most press conferences are also fixed. I feel sorry for everyone voting for McCain or Obama.

Some of us actually look at the issues and the facts, who do you think is better?

Some of us actually look at the issues and the facts, who do you think is better?

Between McCain and Obama? There was a South Park episode about that a few years ago called "Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich?" I'm not sure which is the Giant Douche and which is the Turd Sandwich. I don't think it really matters.

Here's a picture:

2875497280_e346d0dd96.jpg

Between McCain and Obama? There was a South Park episode about that a few years ago called "Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich?" I'm not sure which is the Giant Douche and which is the Turd Sandwich. I don't think it really matters.

Here's a picture:

2875497280_e346d0dd96.jpg

Seems you are equally ignorant of the issues. It is impossible not to agree with either of them on any issue. You are just blindly bashing both without any logical basis.

Just for kicks I looked it up....google...

Obama had one Sept. 23

McCain had one Sept. 24

Is that ok sonny...?

Just for kicks I looked it up....google...

Obama had one Sept. 23

McCain had one Sept. 24

Is that ok sonny...?

And how about the time before that for McCain?

And how about Palin? And if she had one recently, how about the one before that?

I know McCain went about a month or two and Palin about two months without any.

Forum List

Back