Presidential debate in NYC on August 31, 2004

tpahl

Jun 7, 2004
Cascadia
http://www.badnarik.org/PressRoom/archive.php?p=970

Austin, TX - THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE of the 2004 election cycle will be held on Tuesday, August 31, in New York City.

Arrangements have just been finalized between Libertarian Party candidate Michael Badnarik and Green Party candidate David Cobb to participate in this debate in Manhattan, while the Republican National Convention is convened.

Invitations to participate in this debate have been extended to Republican incumbent George Bush, Democratic candidate John Kerry, Independent/Reform candidate Ralph Nader and Constitution Party candidate Michael Peroutka.

The debate is scheduled to begin at 7:00 P.M., and will be held at Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church (formerly known as St Raphael's Church) at 502 West 41st Street in Manhattan.

There will be a joint press conference immediately preceding the debate at 6:00 P.M.

Open public seating is available at this event - with no loyalty oaths or other stringent preconditions required for entry to the debate.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Pardon me, but isn't this right in the middle of the Republican convention? I think the President will be a bit busy at the time, and you can hold your breath waiting for Kerry to show up.

Travis, is this going to use C-Span time? It's going to be carried when and where?

Kathianne said:
Travis, is this going to use C-Span time? It's going to be carried when and where?

I have no idea who will carry it. But I am sure it will be able to be viewed live on some channel. If you can not watch it then, I am sure you can find it on the web the next day.

Travis

Jimmyeatworld said:
Pardon me, but isn't this right in the middle of the Republican convention? I think the President will be a bit busy at the time, and you can hold your breath waiting for Kerry to show up.

isn't it customary for him not to show up to the convention until the end?

Jimmyeatworld said:
Isn't it customary for everyone else to back the fuck off during a convention?

Jimmy you are forgetting that he 'stole' the election. It doesn't matter the algore was the first to file suit. Doesn't matter that every recount found Bush won, regardless of the electoral vote. Bottom line, algore was 'supposed to win' that GW stole it. Get real. :rolleyes:

For the idiots, the above is sarcasm.

Kathianne said:
Jimmy you are forgetting that he 'stole' the election. It doesn't matter the algore was the first to file suit. Doesn't matter that every recount found Bush won, regardless of the electoral vote. Bottom line, algore was 'supposed to win' that GW stole it. Get real. :rolleyes:

For the idiots, the above is sarcasm.

Ah, of course. It's not like Bush is the REAL President. I'm sure there is some motion that could have been made by congress to at least keep Clinton in another four years. A motion like :boobies:

Jimmyeatworld said:
Ah, of course. It's not like Bush is the REAL President. I'm sure there is some motion that could have been made by congress to at least keep Clinton in another four years. A motion like :boobies:

Don't blame boobies. LOL Bush campaign doesn't go there, first in awhile. However, look to the issues. Bush and Kerry are both vunerable, though Kerry, by going the 'boobie' route may not be heard. Just a loser!

Jimmyeatworld said:
Calm down and take a deep breath. I do not want you having a heart attack. Anyways no, i do not think that is the custom.

tpahl said:
Calm down and take a deep breath. I do not want you having a heart attack. Anyways no, i do not think that is the custom.

I'm not anywhere near having a heart attack, but, golly, I appreciate your concern.

I think it is custom, and I think that's the way most people see it.

Jimmyeatworld said:

There is more than two political parties participating in this election, right? It's not like a debate between the Libertarian and Green party candidates is really going to take the spotlight off the RNC convention anyway.

DKSuddeth said:
There is more than two political parties participating in this election, right? It's not like a debate between the Libertarian and Green party candidates is really going to take the spotlight off the RNC convention anyway.

No, it won't. But why set up something like this right in the middle of the RNC, then expect Bush to participate? Kerry either, for that matter.

Jimmyeatworld said:
No, it won't. But why set up something like this right in the middle of the RNC, then expect Bush to participate? Kerry either, for that matter.

The president usually does not speak until the last day. So he could easily attend if he was truly concerned about the issues.

Traivs

tpahl said:
The president usually does not speak until the last day. So he could easily attend if he was truly concerned about the issues.

Traivs

presidential debates are not about someone being 'truly concerned' about the issues as much as it is being truly concerned about being defeated in the election. Since Badnarik and Cobb represent about a .001% chance of defeating bush, why should he bother attending?

DKSuddeth said:
presidential debates are not about someone being 'truly concerned' about the issues as much as it is being truly concerned about being defeated in the election. Since Badnarik and Cobb represent about a .001% chance of defeating bush, why should he bother attending?

Because as president he should be concerned with more than just winning office. We want a president concerned about the nation itself. And a debate with cobb and badnarik would push some important issues that the R's and D's are ignoring that many people in this country feel is important.

tpahl said:

Traivs

It's a matter of respect for his party, Traivs. His strongest supporters are participating in this convention. Again, why hold it right in the middle of the convention? Why not wait a week or two?

tpahl said:
Because as president he should be concerned with more than just winning office. We want a president concerned about the nation itself. And a debate with cobb and badnarik would push some important issues that the R's and D's are ignoring that many people in this country feel is important.

with republicans and democrats being the majority of the population in this country, why should any candidate worry about issues that don't directly affect the largets groups? It's plain logic that you don't waste your time on a group that in reality is going to be insignificant in choosing who the next president is.

Jimmyeatworld said:
It's a matter of respect for his party, Traivs. His strongest supporters are participating in this convention. Again, why hold it right in the middle of the convention? Why not wait a week or two?

Why hold it in NY a day or two before he speaks? Maybe because it is convient for Bush, less travelling for him.

Forum List

Back