Presidential candidate promises to end abortion

Hey NG, checked out your candidates site as well as the Constitutionalist web page, and I mostly liked how black and white everything was. They know what they want, but are too small to get it.

By the way, is the majority of the party of bunch of crusty old guys that are all deacons and elders in their church?

Hello all. Sorry for the delay, but you know how it goes running around doing things after work. :rolleyes:

Anyways, where was I?

Here is an article that I found. It doesn't clear anything up, in fact, it describes what both sides think, but I found it interesting.

Scientists hope that human stem cells will open up totally new ways of treating otherwise incurable conditions such as Parkinson's disease, heart disease, Alzheimer's, paralysis, stroke and diabetes.
_
At the moment, the stem cells are taken from human embryos just a few days after fertilisation. At this stage the embryo measures about a quarter the size of a pin-head.
_
Using an embryo in this way creates huge ethical problems. Scientists hope that in the future they will be able to use stem cells taken from consenting adults.
_
Is it right to use an embryo as a stem cell 'factory'?
For some, an early embryo is just a ball of cells with no formed human characteristics, making medical research permissible. To others, research on any embryo is unacceptable because an embryo is as fully human in status as a baby or adult.

* Is an embryo a human life or just a ball of cells?
* Do the rights of the embryo outweigh the rights of the adult or child with an incurable disease?
_

When does an embryo or foetus become a human being?
For some people this would be at the moment of conception. For others the human status increases as the foetus grows in the womb. At what point do you think a foetus has the same rights as any other human?
_
_
* At the moment of conception?
* Two months after fertilisation when the head and body are recognisable, but the embryo has no awareness because the brain has not wired up?
* At 5 1/2 months when the foetus can respond to noise and if born would survive?
* Only when the baby is born?

Obviously, this is from a stem cell research site, but it ties into abortion. Also, this brings up another issue: stem cell research.

Oh, and here's the link:
http://www.youramazingbrain.org.uk/Brainbody/stem_eth.htm

Somehow I don't think NewGuy is arguing for isolationism when he posts this in another thread:

Originally posted by Newguy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
So what should we DO about it? What do you think newguy? Anything BESIDES accepting christ as our lord and savior?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be step 1.

Step 2, nuke 'em. They just declaired war on us.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doesn't fit very well with that G Washington qoute.

Can you say, with absolute certainty, exactly when life begins? Neither can I. Wouldn't it be prudent to err on the side of caution?

As to, " Um, how do you propose that Bush outlaws abortion?", New Guy has already answered that question:

"To end abortion immediately,{ Peroutka} said, the president would simply have to declare the personhood of the unborn from the moment of conception. The executive branch, which holds the law-enforcement function of government, could then enforce that personhood through the U.S. attorneys......" .

On 'what-if' decisions I tend to shy away from taking the dumb risk. Like when my parents didn't give me a curfew and my friend asked if I could be home at 2:30 in the moring. I new that my parents didn't want me coming home that late/early on a school night, so regardless of them not giving me a curfew I used my BETTER JUDGEMENT to arrive home at 10:00 in the evening. Problem solved, because I didn't jump into a what-if situation like a moron would.

Right. And the stakes in that situation were only parental trust and approval ( not inconsequential things, by any means). How much more prudent should one be when the stakes are life and death?

Originally posted by musicman
Can you say, with absolute certainty, exactly when life begins? Neither can I. Wouldn't it be prudent to err on the side of caution?

As to, " Um, how do you propose that Bush outlaws abortion?", New Guy has already answered that question:

"To end abortion immediately,{ Peroutka} said, the president would simply have to declare the personhood of the unborn from the moment of conception. The executive branch, which holds the law-enforcement function of government, could then enforce that personhood through the U.S. attorneys......" .

I agree that one should err on the side of caution. But i think we can argue that when cells are alive and divide they are in fact alive. Or else they wouldnt have cells dividing would they? Doesnt that in and of itself constitute life?

Obivously a basic example geared to show that when one accepts responsibility he can either screw it up, or make a wise choice. Either way, his actions will be scrutinized in the future.

Doesnt that in and of itself constitute life?

Growth and reporduction are two scientific signs of life. But in today's society, life is granted; it is no longer considered a right. This is due to a popular move to not accept responsibility, not to make a generalization here. But leftist like Micky Moore advocate finger-pointing, and in the case of abortion, the only one that has to suffer is someone that can't yet speak.

Forum List

Back