President Trump to be left off 2020 ballots unless he shows his tax returns, Washington State says

Talk about arrogance, Washington state trying to run a federal election?

Washington Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns

Washington's state Senate passed a bill this week that would drop President Trumpfrom the state's 2020 presidential ballot until he releases his tax returns.

The bill, which advanced Tuesday to the state's House of Representatives, according to CBS News, would require any candidate on the ballot for president in the state to release five years of tax returns before appearing in a general or primary election.

Senators voted by a 28-21 margin to approve the bill, according to CBS. The state's attorney general and solicitor told lawmakers in a letter this week that the proposal likely was constitutional, but analysts expect the law if passed to be challenged in federal court.
How is this them trying to run a federal election?

What do I have to spell it out for the uneducated voter crowd? What's next a state saying only a black woman between the ages of 25 ~ 30 can run for president?
Except that's not the same thing...and you know it. IT's about who's on the ballot, not who can run. Washington isn't the federal government, nor does it claim to be.

I am not a lawyer and I doubt you are either, but I seriously doubt requiring a tax return infringes a canidate’s constitutional rights.
The Constitution beat you by a couple of hundred years and change when it comes to setting the requirements for becoming president of the United States of America. Requiring the posting of tax returns is not on that list.

Any legal challenge by any state that sets arbitrary and subjective requirements in order to make a state's ballot
(candidate X must pledge to support a two state policy with regard to Palestine in order to be included on the state
presidential ballot, etc.) is illegal on it's face.

It’s not a requirement to become president, it’s a requirement to be on a peculiar state’s ballot. It seems similar to me as requiring canidates register and disclose all their campaign contributions which isn’t in the constitution either.

Washington Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns

Washington's state Senate passed a bill this week that would drop President Trumpfrom the state's 2020 presidential ballot until he releases his tax returns.

The bill, which advanced Tuesday to the state's House of Representatives, according to CBS News, would require any candidate on the ballot for president in the state to release five years of tax returns before appearing in a general or primary election.

Senators voted by a 28-21 margin to approve the bill, according to CBS. The state's attorney general and solicitor told lawmakers in a letter this week that the proposal likely was constitutional, but analysts expect the law if passed to be challenged in federal court.
You know that law would only apply to the Washington ballot, right?

Wow, Mr Obvious.

What do I have to spell it out for the uneducated voter crowd? What's next a state saying only a black woman between the ages of 25 ~ 30 can run for president?
Except that's not the same thing...and you know it. IT's about who's on the ballot, not who can run. Washington isn't the federal government, nor does it claim to be.

once again B.S. you think its ok for a state to say only black women can be on the ballot between the ages of 25 and 35?

its the same fucking thing

once again B.S. you think its ok for a state to say only black women can be on the ballot between the ages of 25 and 35?

its the same fucking thing
Not even close to the same thing... come on man, smarten up

If I were a Washington resident I'd be totally against the bill, I'm unsure whether it's unconstitutional since the actual voting for president is done by the Electoral College. In 2016 we had 7 so called "faithless electors" leading to the final tally below where Trump lost 2 votes from election night and another 5 refused to vote for Clinton.

It worries me the way things are heading with state legislatures, from a North Carolina Republican legislature pulling power from the governor after a lost election to this crap in Washington state. .

2016 Presidential Electoral Votes:
  • Donald Trump – 304
  • Hillary Clinton – 227
  • Colin Powell – 3
  • Bernie Sanders – 1
  • John Kasich – 1
  • Ron Paul – 1
  • Faith Spotted Eagle – 1

States have no power to regulate federal elections. The principals can be arrested for unlawful interference in a federal election.

If I were a Washington resident I'd be totally against the bill, I'm unsure whether it's unconstitutional since the actual voting for president is done by the Electoral College. In 2016 we had 7 so called "faithless electors" leading to the final tally below where Trump lost 2 votes from election night and another 5 refused to vote for Clinton.

It worries me the way things are heading with state legislatures, from a North Carolina Republican legislature pulling power from the governor after a lost election to this crap in Washington state. .

2016 Presidential Electoral Votes:
  • Donald Trump – 304
  • Hillary Clinton – 227
  • Colin Powell – 3
  • Bernie Sanders – 1
  • John Kasich – 1
  • Ron Paul – 1
  • Faith Spotted Eagle – 1
Yep, only fools trust a Clinton

Wry Catcher does not care about the Constitution and believe it was created by racist men and should be ignored.
Ignored like Wry Catcher himself. Ironic.

Thanks for you opinion and civil discourse. It seems you want to believe the meme, and thus close your mind to the reality within the Bill of Rights that supports Wash. St. and now New York State.

Consider this avenue, if you're not willfully ignorant. Obama was not required to release his birth certificate, and yet he did do to mounting pressure by right wing media and the trump.

Trump has promised to release his tax records, and has failed to do so. Any reasonable person will take these facts into consideration and support the efforts of at least towo states to move forward.

Clearly those who make the claim of this meme want to protect trump, at the expense of knowing if he has financial or other reasons to keep his business interests hidden. I want to know if Putin or Oligarchs in Russia have something on trump, why don't you?

As for my so called disdain for the Constitution and my country, with all due respect to your and others who make this claim, fuck you and the other damn liars.

States have no power to regulate federal elections. The principals can be arrested for unlawful interference in a federal election.

But it is within the power of the states to determine for themselves how they select their presidential electors.

Today, the states invariably leave the choice to the voters. But the earliest American presidential elections saw a variety of methods ranging from popular vote to selection by state legislators. There’s no formal barrier that prevents a return to the old ways, either. “In other words, if the California or Texas state legislature wanted to directly choose the state’s presidential electors in 2020, the state could do so,” Hasen noted.
(Rick Hasen, a U.C. Irvine law professor who specializes in elections)
Can States Ban Trump From the Ballot If He Doesn’t Release His Tax Returns?
I'm inclined to buy into Hansen's perception of things given the Constitution as I remember doesn't go beyond the Electoral College concerning the selection of the president.

As for my so called disdain for the Constitution and my country, with all due respect to your and others who make this claim, fuck you and the other damn liars.
So much for your "civil discourse". Thank you so much.

The bottom line is Trump, or any other politician, is not required to release tax documents or any other personal information that doesn't relate directly to matters of Constitutional eligibility.

The leftists that dominate Washington state government haven't any legal grounds on which to demand Trump release tax returns. Voters can make it an issue and withhold their votes if they so desire but that's all.

If Alabama decided to leave Barack Obama off their state ballot, because he hadn't released his birth certificate to prove he was eligible to serve as president, you would absolutely crap yourself in anger and consternation.

Voter disenfranchisement, you would scream. And you know it. And, you would be right.

By deliberately leaving Trump off their ballot the leftist Washington legislature isn't issuing a presidential ballot as required by law.
They are putting out partisan based propaganda in the form of a ballot that would leave any uninformed voter to wonder what's wrong with Trump or conclude he wasn't eligible to become president.
At the very least it puts him in a negative light and invites voters to regard him with disfavor and disrepute.
It's a blatant partisan grab for votes which is certainly illegal.

The ironic thing is Washington is bound to vote for whoever the left puts forward (Charles Manson, a box of cereal, etc.) due to the large coastal population centers in Tacoma, Seattle, etc. always overwhelming the voters east of the Cascade mountains where the state is notably more rural and conservative. This stunt is totally unnecessary and anti democratic but I guess the little demons in Olympia don't care or can't help themselves.

And you think it's all okay and very proper.

Forum List

Back