President Trump announces new tariffs: 25% for steel, 10% for aluminum

This puts the most pressure on Mexico and Canada because they now know the gun is loaded. This is not aimed at China but rather to the trade policies of our biggest trade partners.

Again:
In greater detail, let’s summarize the outcomes from protectionist trade policy in the form of steel tariffs: 1) Domestic steelmakers will win with higher steel prices, higher profits and share prices (U.S. Steel’s stock has nearly doubled since January 1), and greater market share, but 2) Domestic steel-using manufacturers will lose because of higher input prices, lower profits, and possibly reduced sales and market share) and 3) Millions of American consumers and businesses will lose when they now pay higher prices for everything that contains steel, including cars, appliances, tractors, tools, construction materials, wind turbines, forklifts, pipelines, and airplanes.

US steel tariffs: A case study in protectionism, economic losses on net, and 'legal plunder' - AEI

Thank goodness we are going to start protecting at least some of our industries the same way that so many other countries protect theirs. It's about time.

American industry thrived and expanded under protective tariffs for decades, especially starting with Abraham Lincoln.

:lol:

Because we know how analogus the world market today is to what it was a hundred and fifty years ago.

So, the stock market is tanking, which is going to hurt his buddies at the country club, and the millionaire c congressman and senators, as well as retirees living on their investments. Meantime, the price of everything goes up, which, again, hurts American consumers, but help steel manufacturers. The price of new cars goes up, which hurts auto manufacturers, and dealers. China decides to start a trade war, which hurts everybody.

This is the beginning of what I predicted when he was elected. The trashing of our economy.

What companies and trade groups are saying about Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs

So, the stock market is tanking, which is going to hurt his buddies at the country club, and the millionaire c congressman and senators, as well as retirees living on their investments. Meantime, the price of everything goes up, which, again, hurts American consumers, but help steel manufacturers. The price of new cars goes up, which hurts auto manufacturers, and dealers. China decides to start a trade war, which hurts everybody.

This is the beginning of what I predicted when he was elected. The trashing of our economy.

If China starts a trade war, the main people they will be screwing are the Chinese. The stock market isn't tanking. Even if it was, what does that have to do with tariffs?

Last edited:

You must be one of them there russians everyone is talking about because I don't think many American's with an IQ over 50 wants to pay higher prices on just about everything they purchase in the next few months not to mention the slow down in building that will result. Slow downs and higher prices eventually = loss of jobs. But who cares, right trumpie?

Of course these costs will get immediately passed on to consumers, which always happens whenever tariffs are raised.

not if they change sources to American manufacturers.

Easy way to avoid the tax.

I can't believe you posted that. The only reason that he is putting a 25% tariff on steel is because our steel costs 25% more. So, how is switching to American steel going to be cost efficient?

Don't give up your day job to become an economist.

It's already regained half of what it initially lost. Just hold onto your panties before you get too excited about Americans losing money.
Why? Everything that uses steel is about to cost 25% more. A fun, new way for Americans to lose money :thup:
That is one of two possible outcomes.

The steel industry has two options here. Do not raise prices by 25% and ensure the growth of the industry in the US.

Or

Raise their prices by the tariff margin and ensure that the Chineese remain the top seller in the U.S.

Which would you choose if it were up to you?
U.S. steel is already more expensive. That’s why Trump’s artificially raising the price of imported steel. Steel manufacturers don’t have to raise their prices, and prices for consumers will still go up.

If China starts a trade war, the main people they will be screwing are the Chinese. The stock market isn't tanking. Even if it was, what does that have to do with tariffs? T

LOL tell me you're really not that dumb.

So much for the free market conservatives.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The Free Market people lost in the primaries.

Did you miss all of that? Plenty of debate about it.

And for good reason.

Yep. The statist won, sorry I forgot. My bad

Bending over to be fucked by our trade "partners" is no freedom.

Interesting way you describe them practically giving us their resources. You must hate Christmas.

Jobs are better to have than resources.

It's already regained half of what it initially lost. Just hold onto your panties before you get too excited about Americans losing money.
Why? Everything that uses steel is about to cost 25% more. A fun, new way for Americans to lose money :thup:
That is one of two possible outcomes.

The steel industry has two options here. Do not raise prices by 25% and ensure the growth of the industry in the US.

Or

Raise their prices by the tariff margin and ensure that the Chineese remain the top seller in the U.S.

Which would you choose if it were up to you?
U.S. steel is already more expensive. That’s why Trump’s artificially raising the price of imported steel. Steel manufacturers don’t have to raise their prices, and prices for consumers will still go up.
And there go his tax cuts

Again:
In greater detail, let’s summarize the outcomes from protectionist trade policy in the form of steel tariffs: 1) Domestic steelmakers will win with higher steel prices, higher profits and share prices (U.S. Steel’s stock has nearly doubled since January 1), and greater market share, but 2) Domestic steel-using manufacturers will lose because of higher input prices, lower profits, and possibly reduced sales and market share) and 3) Millions of American consumers and businesses will lose when they now pay higher prices for everything that contains steel, including cars, appliances, tractors, tools, construction materials, wind turbines, forklifts, pipelines, and airplanes.

US steel tariffs: A case study in protectionism, economic losses on net, and 'legal plunder' - AEI

That's what the Free Traders said back in the 80s.

Their policy did not give US the results promised.

Time to admit failure and move on.

The last thing Wall Street wants to hear is “tariff”.

And it was up for the day prior to the announcement from Trump

"Control the border" is another thing they don't like to hear. On the other hand, workers do like to hear it.

When they lose their jobs due to the isolationist policies of the president, they will care more about that than the border.

Tariffs cost jobs, always have and always will.

Low wage labor from across the border costs far more jobs. An American is 100 times more likely to lose his job because of an illegal alien then because of a 10% tariff on steal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of tariffs, but I have mixed emotions when it comes to China. They engage in all kinds of practices that make me question whether 100% pure free trade is always a good thing.

So much for the free market conservatives.

And for good reason.

Interesting way you describe them practically giving us their resources. You must hate Christmas.

You think we will sell a lot of cars when we are paying artificially higher steel prices? Last steel tariffs we lost jobs.

Thank goodness we are going to start protecting at least some of our industries the same way that so many other countries protect theirs. It's about time.

American industry thrived and expanded under protective tariffs for decades, especially starting with Abraham Lincoln.

Trade wars were being waged all over the planet in the late 1920's. Can you say, "Great Depression"? I knew you could!

The last thing Wall Street wants to hear is “tariff”.

And it was up for the day prior to the announcement from Trump

"Control the border" is another thing they don't like to hear. On the other hand, workers do like to hear it.

When they lose their jobs due to the isolationist policies of the president, they will care more about that than the border.

Tariffs cost jobs, always have and always will.

Low wage labor from across the border costs far more jobs. An American is 100 times more likely to lose his job because of an illegal alien then because of a 10% tariff on steal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of tariffs, but I have mixed emotions when it comes to China. They engage in all kinds of practices that make me question whether 100% pure free trade is always a good thing.

Hopefully it's just the start

You must be one of them there russians everyone is talking about because I don't think many American's with an IQ over 50 wants to pay higher prices on just about everything they purchase in the next few months not to mention the slow down in building that will result. Slow downs and higher prices eventually = loss of jobs. But who cares, right trumpie?

I take it you missed the last 30 years that did not go as the Free Traders promised?

And for good reason.

You think we will sell a lot of cars when we are paying artificially higher steel prices? Last steel tariffs we lost jobs.

Average increase for a car is $100 to $200

I take it you missed the last 30 years that did not go as the Free Traders promised?

Watch.

Forum List

Back