President tells China "Let people say what they think"

Glori.B

Born Free
Apr 24, 2008
u.s.a.
"President Bush used the dedication of the new U.S. Embassy to prod China to lessen repression and "let people say what they think." The communist nation, which tolerates only government-approved religions, has rounded up dissidents ahead of the Olympics and imposed Internet restrictions on journalists that some say amount to censorship, all contrary to Beijing's commitments when it won hosting rights for the games.

"We strongly believe societies which allow the free expression of ideas tend to be the most prosperous and the most peaceful," Bush said.

Bush Gives Pep Talk to US Olympians - TIME

Let the people say what they think, Bush tells Beijing

Let the people say what they think, Bush tells Beijing | The Australian

August 09, 2008
BEIJING: US President George W.Bush has opened a massive new embassy in Beijing, one of the US's biggest and a symbol of the growing importance of Washington's relationship with Beijing.

Mr Bush, in Beijing to attend the Olympics, opened the concrete and glass building just days after the Chinese inaugurated their own sparkling new site in Washington.

"No doubt this is an impressive complex," Mr Bush said.

"To me, it speaks of the importance of our relations with China. It reflects the solid foundation underpinning our relations. It is a commitment to strengthen that foundation for years to come," he said.

But the US president also used the occasion to take another swipe at China's human rights record, calling for the communist country to lessen repression and "let people say what they think".

ap-US-Embassy-Beijing-China-175-eng7aug08_1.jpg

The embassy complex was built at a cost of more than $434 million, and is the second largest construction project in the history of the U.S. State Department.

VOA News - Bush Calls for Freedom of Expression in Beijing Ahead of Games

$434 million ???? What the hell is up with that ???? :eek:

the problem is that the architect of gitmo and the president who presided over the FISA and abu ghraib and who is pro-waterboarding really has questionable standing .... and little moral authority.

It's one of those little things that we need to get back....

I will watch the Olympics, too. I always enjoy watching them.

But for Pres. Bush to say "Let people say what they think" ... I think that comment was directed more to American citizens that it was the Chinese.

Another case of Bush :eusa_whistle: (blowing smoke) out of his a$$. :cuckoo:

... moral authority.

i wouldn't exactly equate china's record with ours, but i see your point, and thank goodness for your freedom to argue that point! :D

...5 months from tomorrow, jillian! ;)

The fact that this waste of life is even in China, never mind dedicating his $434 million endorsement of the Communist regime there, should be incomprehensible to normal people. Why doesn't he go to Tehran and say that? Or Cuba? Easy answer: China's entrance into the modern world cannot be prevented. He likes easy, 3rd world country, targets that he unleash the war profiteering machine on. The profiteering off of China's sweatshop and in some instances SLAVE labor is much more important than "freedom on the march" or whatever bullshit talking points his handlers formed for him. The man has absolutely zero moral compass. He's dirt on the shoes of normal people. He's a coward, plain and simple.

Here's an idea. Lets all be allowed to vacation in Havana and stop importing communist slave labor goods from China into our country. We should have boycotted the fucking Olympics and ANYONE that gives the Chinese regime a fucking dime is a communist sympathizer who endorses China's foreign policy and repression of its people.

This, folks, is why America as "moral leadership" is a fucking hilarious, sick and twisted joke.

stupid diplomacy.. if he wanted to piss the chinese off he should have just stayed home...

I'm not big on china... I really cant stand anything about the leaders there.. but.. the olympics are a time to rise above this... Once again bush taints everything he touches....

i applaud our president, in this instance, for being diplomatic and supporting the athletes and the spirit of the olympic games...if the world wants to see positive progress in china, i think it begins with shedding more light on their human rights record...

there were protests all over the world today and the president of the united states of america stood up for chinese citizens' freedom to speak their minds. i choose to put everything else aside and applaud that.
:clap2:

Last edited:
the problem is that the architect of gitmo and the president who presided over the FISA and abu ghraib and who is pro-waterboarding really has questionable standing .... and little moral authority.

oh ya--and the Dems were considering Edwards to be the man to do it ??

Time to go back and read all the lib posts about Gingrich !!

Way to go, George. Tell them what the libs would die for a liberal to say to them.

oh ya--and the Dems were considering Edwards to be the man to do it ??

Time to go back and read all the lib posts about Gingrich !!

Way to go, George. Tell them what the libs would die for a liberal to say to them.

sigh.....if only he were black! then it would really feel like "change"... :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back