President Struggles to Regain His Pre-Hurricane Swagger

P

ProudDem

But what happened to your mandate, Mr. President? You thought everyone would LOVE your idea for Social Security reform. You touted across the country, only allowing those who support you to attend your forums, and yet people have shot it down. You sung "Brownie's" praises and he was forced to resign. You are facing your lowest ratings ever. This is what you get when you are this divisive and when you ignore an emergency that affected thousands of people (let me go to California and play a guitar while people drown and are killed).

By Jim VandeHei and Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, September 24, 2005; A01

COLORADO SPRINGS, Sept. 23 -- President Bush flew here ahead of Hurricane Rita on Friday to show command of a federal disaster response effort that even supporters acknowledge he fumbled three weeks ago.

The president said he wanted to see the emergency response system from the ground floor at U.S. Northern Command headquarters. "I need to understand how it works better," he told reporters before leaving Washington. But Bush was also embarking on a broader, and possibly more important, mission: restoring strength and confidence in his presidency.

A president who roamed across the national and world stages with an unshakable self-assurance that comforted Republicans and confounded critics since 2001 suddenly finds himself struggling to reclaim his swagger. Bush's standing with the public -- and within the Republican Party -- has been battered by a failed Social Security campaign, violence in Iraq, and most recently Hurricane Katrina. His approval ratings, 42 percent in the most recent Washington Post-ABC poll, have never been lower.

A president who normally thrives on tough talk and self-assurance finds himself at what aides privately describe as a low point in office, one that is changing the psychic and political aura of the White House, as well as its distinctive political approach.

In small, sometimes subtle but unmistakable ways, the president and top aides sound less certain, more conciliatory and willing to do something they avoided in the first term: admit mistakes. After bulling through crisis after crisis with a "bring 'em on" brashness, a more solemn Bush now has twice taken responsibility for the much-criticized response to Hurricane Katrina.

The rest of the article is here, but I highly doubt that the Bush supporters will even read it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/23/AR2005092302182.html

Eventually, people's arrogance will catch up to them......(and this does not solely pertain to republicans--democrats too).

ProudDem said:
But what happened to your mandate, Mr. President? You thought everyone would LOVE your idea for Social Security reform. You touted across the country, only allowing those who support you to attend your forums, and yet people have shot it down. And now look at you--you are facing your lowest ratings ever. This is what you get when you are this divisive.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Sept. 23 -- President Bush flew here ahead of Hurricane Rita on Friday to show command of a federal disaster response effort that even supporters acknowledge he fumbled three weeks ago.

The president said he wanted to see the emergency response system from the ground floor at U.S. Northern Command headquarters. "I need to understand how it works better," he told reporters before leaving Washington. But Bush was also embarking on a broader, and possibly more important, mission: restoring strength and confidence in his presidency.

A president who roamed across the national and world stages with an unshakable self-assurance that comforted Republicans and confounded critics since 2001 suddenly finds himself struggling to reclaim his swagger. Bush's standing with the public -- and within the Republican Party -- has been battered by a failed Social Security campaign, violence in Iraq, and most recently Hurricane Katrina. His approval ratings, 42 percent in the most recent Washington Post-ABC poll, have never been lower.

A president who normally thrives on tough talk and self-assurance finds himself at what aides privately describe as a low point in office, one that is changing the psychic and political aura of the White House, as well as its distinctive political approach.

In small, sometimes subtle but unmistakable ways, the president and top aides sound less certain, more conciliatory and willing to do something they avoided in the first term: admit mistakes. After bulling through crisis after crisis with a "bring 'em on" brashness, a more solemn Bush now has twice taken responsibility for the much-criticized response to Hurricane Katrina.

The rest of the article is here, but I highly doubt that the Bush supporters will even read it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/23/AR2005092302182.html

Eventually, people's arrogance will catch up to them......(and this does not solely pertain to republicans--democrats too).

Why should anyone read it ?----these types of articles are a dime a dozen.
You ever get anything new or creative?

dilloduck said:
Why should anyone read it ?----these types of articles are a dime a dozen.
You ever get anything new or creative?

Hmmm, so Stephanie starts about 4 threads bashing the anti-war protestors, and yet you say nothing to her about how these articles are a dime a dozen. You're really credible, aren' you?

ProudDem said:
Hmmm, so Stephanie starts about 4 threads bashing the anti-war protestors, and yet you say nothing to her about how these articles are a dime a dozen. You're really credible, aren' you?

Stephanie didn't challenge me to read them.

It was a rather fair article, it included accurate quotes from GOPers like Bill Kristol and numerous GOP congresmen. The president has lost his swagger, we'll see how long it takes to get it back.

Social Security reform failed.
The ACCURATE word on the war is not getting out there.
etc etc.

We got issues. Let's see if Pres. Bush moves beyond them or gets trapped in the failures of the 2nd term.

ProudDem said:

First of all this is from the post, a DNC mouthpiece, nothing really credible about the post.

S.S. reform failed because of the pantywaists in congress, we'll see in 20 years where this welfare program is at.

NATO AIR said:
It was a rather fair article, it included accurate quotes from GOPers like Bill Kristol and numerous GOP congresmen. The president has lost his swagger, we'll see how long it takes to get it back.

Social Security reform failed.
The ACCURATE word on the war is not getting out there.
etc etc.

We got issues. Let's see if Pres. Bush moves beyond them or gets trapped in the failures of the 2nd term.

Ah, Nato, thank you for pointing that out. Maybe I should have mentioned that Republicans were feeling the same way. Santorum, a huge Bush supporter, is distancing himself from Bush because he's worried about the 2006 senate election. I do think he stands a pretty good chance of losing, as his opponent is ahead of him by double digits. Buh bye Santorum.

First, I see absoutely nothing that has changed in the President since the hurricane. I just see that now he has motivation to push forward the Conservative agenda to help the poor better. Quite contrary to hurting the President, Katrina will help him show the nation how the conservative ideas are superior to Democrat deals

Second, on what planet has social security reform failed? We haven't even put it up in Congress yet. How can it have failed if we havent even tried to pass it yet?

Third, Nothing has changed in Iraq. The President still has complete support of the American people. In fact, a large amount of people want him to do even more in Iraq than he currently is doing.

i think there are people in this country who still need to wake up from the Fantasy world of the 1990s and realize we are living in a new world.

aps said:
But what happened to your mandate, Mr. President? You thought everyone would LOVE your idea for Social Security reform. You touted across the country, only allowing those who support you to attend your forums, and yet people have shot it down. You sung "Brownie's" praises and he was forced to resign. You are facing your lowest ratings ever. This is what you get when you are this divisive and when you ignore an emergency that affected thousands of people (let me go to California and play a guitar while people drown and are killed).

What a dramatic intro to an article. Try writing for Kos...

Personally, I think the President is holding up admirably well, considering the circumstances.

It's heartening to know that he is affected and I have confidence he will come through this with his characteristic optomism.

This seems like a case of people seeing what they want to see. Watching the man they despise thoughtfully handling unprecedented tragedies like 9/11 and now Hurricane Katrina, is driving them to distraction. The result is an attempt to portray weakness in President Bush that isn't there. Someone should tell the authors that wishing doesn't make it so.

kurtsprincess said:
Personally, I think the President is holding up admirably well, considering the circumstances.

It's heartening to know that he is affected and I have confidence he will come through this with his characteristic optomism.

I must agree. I didn't like Bush in 9/01, up to the 11th. Coming from someone that worked on his campaign, that was offered to be paid to count 2000 chads, that is saying alot. However, since then, until very recently, I've liked him. Seems to me that he is reverting to his concept of 'compassionate conservative', forgetting what has happened inbetween.

First, I see absoutely nothing that has changed in the President since the hurricane. I just see that now he has motivation to push forward the Conservative agenda to help the poor better. Quite contrary to hurting the President, Katrina will help him show the nation how the conservative ideas are superior to Democrat deals

Second, on what planet has social security reform failed? We haven't even put it up in Congress yet. How can it have failed if we havent even tried to pass it yet?

Third, Nothing has changed in Iraq. The President still has complete support of the American people. In fact, a large amount of people want him to do even more in Iraq than he currently is doing.

i think there are people in this country who still need to wake up from the Fantasy world of the 1990s and realize we are living in a new world.

I agree about the likely superiority of conservative ideas vs. liberal ones.
That's why I'm interested in this "conservative" war on poverty being launched in the aftermath of Katrina. It will do the country and both political parties a lot of good, hopefully laying to rest numerous myths.

On the other hand, social security reform in its current state was DOA. Why do you think its been off the radar for so long? If you think otherwise, you have a less than elementary understanding of politics. And oh yeah, social security reform bashing is not bashing Bush. I think the plan he proposed sucks, but I agree with the need for social security reform (if not outright getting rid of it).

The President does not have the full support of the people, I don't even think he has the full support of his party. He's had to literally beg for Social Security Reform, CAFTA, Katrina funds and who knows what else.

NATO AIR said:
I agree about the likely superiority of conservative ideas vs. liberal ones.
That's why I'm interested in this "conservative" war on poverty being launched in the aftermath of Katrina. It will do the country and both political parties a lot of good, hopefully laying to rest numerous myths.

On the other hand, social security reform in its current state was DOA. Why do you think its been off the radar for so long? If you think otherwise, you have a less than elementary understanding of politics. And oh yeah, social security reform bashing is not bashing Bush. I think the plan he proposed sucks, but I agree with the need for social security reform (if not outright getting rid of it).

The President does not have the full support of the people, I don't even think he has the full support of his party. He's had to literally beg for Social Security Reform, CAFTA, Katrina funds and who knows what else.

Why are you on mccain's pole again?

NATO AIR said:
Not on his pole.

Personally I think Social Security should be eliminated outright. Its not feasible anymore.

Folks need to learn to save.

Is that mccain's plan? You mentioned something before in another thread about Mccain and how you like him. Maybe we should start a new thread. I personally think the guy is a glory hound. I mean all pols are, but he's excessive.

rtwngAvngr said:
Is that mccain's plan? You mentioned something before in another thread about Mccain and how you like him. Maybe we should start a new thread. I personally think the guy is a glory hound. I mean all pols are, but he's excessive.

I don't think McCain has ever said anything like that. really, can you imagine any politician that wants to be reelected saying that?

if there is any senator i respect the most, its sen. brownback. i would vote for him over mccain, bush, gualiani, etc any day.

Forum List

Back