President Ronald Reagan In His Own Words

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
President Ronald Reagan In His Own Words :eusa_whistle:

"Government can and must provide opportunity...foster productivity..." - President Ronald Reagan - 1981 - Inaugural Address

"How can we love our county and not love our countrymen, and loving them reach out a hand when they fall, heal them when they're sick, and provide opportunity to make them self-sufficient so they will be equal in fact and not just in theory?"
- Reagan reflecting on "the compassion that is so much a part of the make up of America."

---

Ronald Reagan February 6, 1911 – June 5, 2004

This Sunday will be Reagan's 100th birthday. What can we do to show the man in his own words? Plenty.

Last edited:
"Those who do work are denied a fair return for their labor." - 1981 Inaugural Address

"The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but they will go away."
- Reagan or Obama?

"It's not my intention to do away with government, it is rather to make it work." - RR

"For decades we have piled deficit upon deficit mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this trend..." Ronald Reagan before he continued this trend :eusa_shhh:

[youtube]hpPt7xGx4Xo[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reagan had good ideals but I have to wonder how much he really ran things considering his affliction.

I suspect that pretty much the same bunch ran things then as did during the bush II presidency.

Reagan had good ideals but I have to wonder how much he really ran things considering his affliction.

I suspect that pretty much the same bunch ran things then as did during the bush II presidency.
His "affliction" didn't become a problem until toward the end of his second term.

His "affliction" didn't become a problem until toward the end of his second term.

depends, Reagan had many an affliction. :lol::lol::lol:

yeah right. And you know this how?

It would be a very closely guarded secret. both for political reasons and for national security, not wanting to appear weak, etc.

depends, Reagan had many an affliction. :lol::lol::lol:

yeah he was married to Nancy ;)

I do think that he was basically a good man though. Even if he was a bit weak and took Nancy's lead on astrologers and such.

It would be a very closely guarded secret. both for political reasons and for national security, not wanting to appear weak, etc.
Well, I guess I know it as much as anybody knows that the opposite.... not at all.

I based my opinion on his public appearances. It wasn't until the second half of his second term that in some of his public addresses he sometimes appeared confused or, at least, forgetful.

Well, I guess I know it as much as anybody knows that the opposite.... not at all.

I based my opinion on his public appearances. It wasn't until the second half of his second term that in some of his public addresses he sometimes appeared confused or, at least, forgetful.

Yep that was when it got bad. Reagan was a trained orator (ie actor) and could speak well off of teleprompters. Not much thought or memory was required.
Why people who worship Reagan make a big deal of Obama using teleprompters is beyond me.
And I do have some inside information. A friend of mine was a teleprompter operator for Reagan for several years.

My mother died lasdt fall of dymensia/altzheimers. And right up till she died when strangers were around she would put on a public face and appear much better. Took the doctors a while to figure her out because of this.

Quite frustrating for me and my siblings. She would complain of everything and then when she faced the doctor and he asked her how she was doing she would just smile and say fine. We had to wheedle her complaints out of her in front of the doctor.

Last edited:

I have a hard time remembering exactly what it was he did.

I remember Iran Contra.

I remember him taking credit for what previous presidents did against the USSR.

I remember him doubling the deficit.

I remember him raising taxes.

I remember him kicking out the mentally ill to live in the streets.

I remember he hated his son studying ballet.

What else he did, I can't really remember.

The debt was what 700 billion when Reagan took office?

Reagan v Carter on debt: "For decades we have piled deficit upon deficit mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this trend..."

______Debt/GDP__start__end___increase debt____increase % points/GDP

Jimmy Carter___35.8%____32.5%___0.28______-3.3%

Ronald Reagan__32.5%____43.8%___0.66______+11.3%

Ronald Reagan__43.8%____53.1%___1.04______+9.3%

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :eusa_whistle:

Yep that was when it got bad. Reagan was a trained orator (ie actor) and could speak well off of teleprompters. Not much thought or memory was required.
Why people who worship Reagan make a big deal of Obama using teleprompters is beyond me.
And I do have some inside information. A friend of mine was a teleprompter operator for Reagan for several years.
Probably because Obama doesn't seem to be able to speak very well without a teleprompter. In other words, nothing seems to be "from the heart (or mind)".

yeah he was married to Nancy ;)

I do think that he was basically a good man though. Even if he was a bit weak and took Nancy's lead on astrologers and such.

I think all of the Presidents in my life time were basically good men (excepting maybe Nixon)

Johnson?

Basically a good man. Flawed as were all. Johnson is one of 5 Presidents who lied about America's involvement in Vietnam going back to Ike.

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The debt was what 700 billion when Reagan took office?

Reagan v Carter on debt: "For decades we have piled deficit upon deficit mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this trend..."

______Debt/GDP__start__end___increase debt____increase % points/GDP

Jimmy Carter___35.8%____32.5%___0.28______-3.3%

Ronald Reagan__32.5%____43.8%___0.66______+11.3%

Ronald Reagan__43.8%____53.1%___1.04______+9.3%

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :eusa_whistle:

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facts: "Just the facts ma'am" Conflicts with the Reagan Legacy Project. :eusa_shhh:

I have a hard time remembering exactly what it was he did.

I remember Iran Contra.

I remember him taking credit for what previous presidents did against the USSR.

I remember him doubling the deficit.

I remember him raising taxes.

I remember him kicking out the mentally ill to live in the streets.

I remember he hated his son studying ballet.

What else he did, I can't really remember.

Yep, I think he was sold a bill of good on most of that. Cheney, Rummy and Bush I were some of the ones behind Iran Contra.

You left out Grenada, Nicaragua, etc.
'
He also cut off SS survivors benefits at 18 even for those in school. and raised the withholding too much so that he had lots of surplus money to spend and cook the books a bit with to make the debt look less bad.

Probably because Obama doesn't seem to be able to speak very well without a teleprompter. In other words, nothing seems to be "from the heart (or mind)".

And yet, Obama went to a Republican Retreat he was invited to and standing at a podium, he cleaned their clocks. Knowing and understanding facts and positions he made them look ridiculous and they have never forgiven the black guy for doing that.

Obama Goes To GOP Lions' Den -- And Mauls The Lions

So effective was the president that Fox News cut away from the broadcast 20 minutes before it ended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back