President proves the GOP has offered options

txlonghorn

Mar 9, 2009
Against the countless claims of the White House Press Dept and most of the libs here or anywhere else, the meeting between Obama and the republicans did prove that there were many detailed alternatives from the Replublicans on all of the big issues, flatly contradicting a fundamental White House talking point of the past year.

Despite the “lecture” by the commander-in-chief, as one member described it, Republicans had the opportunity to articulate the proposals they've sent to the president over the past year.

And for the first time, Obama acknowledged that House Republicans had crafted measures to stimulate the economy, reduce the budget deficit and reduce health insurance costs.

At a number of times during the rare, televised, question and answer session with members, the president said that he had read many of their proposals.

Something that bothers many of us on the right is the constant charge that the Republicans have no ideas on the matter. They have ideas, the Dems just won't entertain them.

Pymlico Pilgrim and I and have both opened these ideas for debate, but very few folks want to actually engage in whether these ideas would work. Mostly we just get more name calling. Which is tiresome.

Against the countless claims of the White House Press Dept and most of the libs here or anywhere else, the meeting between Obama and the republicans did prove that there were many detailed alternatives from the Replublicans on all of the big issues, flatly contradicting a fundamental White House talking point of the past year.

Despite the “lecture” by the commander-in-chief, as one member described it, Republicans had the opportunity to articulate the proposals they've sent to the president over the past year.

And for the first time, Obama acknowledged that House Republicans had crafted measures to stimulate the economy, reduce the budget deficit and reduce health insurance costs.

At a number of times during the rare, televised, question and answer session with members, the president said that he had read many of their proposals.

Have you read any of the proposals from the GOP?

He certainly did. He also said ideas they considered "good" were incorporated into several bills.

Earlier this week, seven Republican Senators voted against a bill they co-sponsored because they didn't want to give the impression the were working with Democrats. It was this kind of partisanship that Obama repeatedly pointed out.

He also pointed out that Republicans lie about him constantly, saying things like he wants to destroy the nation. He said when politicians say these types of things they know are untrue, they paint themselves into a corner and make it impossible to support anything that also has Democratic support.

Too bad most Republcians just can't see the truth, or face it.

Something that bothers many of us on the right is the constant charge that the Republicans have no ideas on the matter. They have ideas, the Dems just won't entertain them.

Pymlico Pilgrim and I and have both opened these ideas for debate, but very few folks want to actually engage in whether these ideas would work. Mostly we just get more name calling. Which is tiresome.

liar

You get called names when you lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting, too, that the GOP invited him to do this. Is that a first? A minority congressional party inviting a opposing President - and one on a losing streak, mind you - an opportunity to show bipartisanship. Seems like BO needed this much more than congressional Republicans did.

It's interesting, too, that the GOP invited him to do this. Is that a first? A minority congressional party inviting a opposing President - and one on a losing streak, mind you - an opportunity to show bipartisanship. Seems like BO needed this much more than congressional Republicans did.

I seem to remember that George Bush did the same thing with the Democrats.

When Bush attended the same House Democratic retreat in 2007 — after Democrats had recaptured control of Congress — House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) noted that some in his caucus had been asking of Bush: "Why is he coming?”

---------------------

President George W. Bush never made an appearance at the Democratic caucus meeting on Capitol Hill, but he did attend the House Democrats retreat in 2001, soon after taking office.

Obama to meet with House GOP - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

OK, you made me go dig up a link.

I think Republicans had the majority the first time. But I'm just guessing.

I know that Republcians are angry they let this get filmed. Obama was right when he said by calling him "Marxist and Communist and someone who wants to destroy America", they have painted themselves into a corner. How can they explain to their base they are working with someone who wants to destroy America? Makes them look like fools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you read any of the proposals from the GOP?

yes...have you?

liar

You get called names when you lie.

I don't remember your participation in in either my or Pilgrim's threads. Your participation generally is less than stellar, as I believe that most folks tend to skip over your comments as they know them to be trite, dishonest, evasive, personal and off topic.
As a general rule when I see your name on a post I know that reading further is a waste of time. There will be nothing illuminating, the insults will be lame, important parts of the discussion will be evaded, ignored or inverted; facts will be sparse and assumed out of thin air and not referenced.

I would like to know what Republican ideas 0bama incorporated, I would like to know what bill the Republicans sponsored that they repudiated afterward (this happens every so often when a bill comes out of mark up amended to a degree that its originators can no longer support) that you referenced up topic.

You want to impugn my honesty, look after your own glass house.

He certainly did. He also said ideas they considered "good" were incorporated into several bills.

Earlier this week, seven Republican Senators voted against a bill they co-sponsored because they didn't want to give the impression the were working with Democrats. It was this kind of partisanship that Obama repeatedly pointed out.

He also pointed out that Republicans lie about him constantly, saying things like he wants to destroy the nation. He said when politicians say these types of things they know are untrue, they paint themselves into a corner and make it impossible to support anything that also has Democratic support.

Too bad most Republcians just can't see the truth, or face it.

Yeah...he should probably have this same conversation with Nancy Pelosi. Oh wait, that can't happen can it. That would be admitting wrong.

I saw him whining about that....it's really very funny. "MOMMY....MY PUSSY HURTS!!! THE REPUBLICANS KEEP SAYING MEAN THINGS ABOUT ME!!!!"

The point of this post was that that jack ass Gibbs has said over and over and over again that there have been NO proposals from the republicans. That they only want to shoot down whatever the president puts out.

First, it's not the president putting it out. It's not even Pelosi putting it out. She's just the lead ass kisser and rogue lawmaker who is now HELL BENT on getting it passed just so that she can say SUCK IT to the republicans.

Second, as proven by the president today, there have been many options offered by the GOP. That contradiction is incredible. Robbie must have pissed his pants and spit out chocolate milk all over his one good tie.

You can't divert the attention on this one. You can try...but it won't work

I seem to remember that George Bush did the same thing with the Democrats.

When Bush attended the same House Democratic retreat in 2007 — after Democrats had recaptured control of Congress — House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) noted that some in his caucus had been asking of Bush: "Why is he coming?”

---------------------

President George W. Bush never made an appearance at the Democratic caucus meeting on Capitol Hill, but he did attend the House Democrats retreat in 2001, soon after taking office.

Obama to meet with House GOP - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

OK, you made me go dig up a link.

I think Republicans had the majority the first time. But I'm just guessing.

I know that Republcians are angry they let this get filmed. Obama was right when he said by calling him "Marxist and Communist and someone who wants to destroy America", they have painted themselves into a corner. How can they explain to their base they are working with someone who wants to destroy America? Makes them look like fools.

Thanks for the link RD.

As a member of their base, I can tell you I am happy they did not cave. They have nothing to explain to me, but I see BO reaching for a lifeline here, not the GOP. I know you love The One, but that line isn't meant for Republicans. It's meant for those who aren't paying attention. I take it as, "Quit pounding me, guys. I get it. I'll listen to you."

Bush could always count on bipartisan support or design on every issue from Iraq, No Child Left Behind, to TARP. The only time Democrats opposed Bush was on Terry Schiavo or SCHIPs. Other than that, a few media voices in opposition from time to time.

This President is the typical, arrogant, elitist liberal. His policies, words, and actions prove it. They know better than us, and they will show you no matter what you think. Hence, Scott Brown.

It's rather easy to explain why you would be working with someone whose policies are going to destroy the country. You are trying to talk him out of them. It's not rocket science.

If Obama wanted to destroy this nation, how exactly, would he change his policies?

If Obama wanted to destroy this nation, how exactly, would he change his policies?
Put Pat Robertson in as head of the fed.

I remember ol Pat had some really interesting ideas during the 80 primary season.

Forum List

Back