President Obama's "Space Experiment".

Considering two things
1# That outter space has god knows how many times more resources then the earth....You on the left talk about how we're using up our resources, but if that's so, then why not go after all that? You talk about bettering peoples lifes here on earth, but with the resources of space, we will have more for people...This will raise living standards for all as our wealth and our resources shot through the roof.
2# One Asteriod can wipe up humanity...If we have humans not just on earth, but on the moon and mars. Our chances improve. I heard we only have the budget to cover 5 percent of the sky for asteroids, so the odds aren't good.

Those things..and given the population and resources on Earth..we may want to start thinking about "Terraforming" "Dead" planets. Mars seems like a natural choice.

It is unlikely we could terraform Mars. First, the biggest problem is the one that caused it to lose it's atmosphere in the first place... weak magnetic field. Ours is strong and it keeps our atmosphere in place. We'd need enclosed structures to survive... BioDomes and such. It's a huge undertaking, and not cheap.

and I thought it was going to be about the space he puts between himself and all important issues!!

Wouldn't Mars be a little on the cold side even during it "summer season"?

It has a very thin atmosphere. Temperature would change once a more "viable" atmosphere was established.
That would take a lot of money to even make it a workable solution. Maybe we could use Mars as a jumping point closer to a earth class planets in one of the closer galaxies?

Would it? I mean we have the tech. All the crap many factories spew into the air would be a good way to start an atmosphere on a place like Mars.

Considering two things
1# That outter space has god knows how many times more resources then the earth....You on the left talk about how we're using up our resources, but if that's so, then why not go after all that? You talk about bettering peoples lifes here on earth, but with the resources of space, we will have more for people...This will raise living standards for all as our wealth and our resources shot through the roof.
2# One Asteriod can wipe up humanity...If we have humans not just on earth, but on the moon and mars. Our chances improve. I heard we only have the budget to cover 5 percent of the sky for asteroids, so the odds aren't good.

Those things..and given the population and resources on Earth..we may want to start thinking about "Terraforming" "Dead" planets. Mars seems like a natural choice.

It is unlikely we could terraform Mars. First, the biggest problem is the one that caused it to lose it's atmosphere in the first place... weak magnetic field. Ours is strong and it keeps our atmosphere in place. We'd need enclosed structures to survive... BioDomes and such. It's a huge undertaking, and not cheap.

Of course. But eventually it's something we are probably going to have to do anyway. I'd like to see it done in my lifetime.

It has a very thin atmosphere. Temperature would change once a more "viable" atmosphere was established.
That would take a lot of money to even make it a workable solution. Maybe we could use Mars as a jumping point closer to a earth class planets in one of the closer galaxies?

Would it? I mean we have the tech. All the crap many factories spew into the air would be a good way to start an atmosphere on a place like Mars.

Maybe so.

Manned spaceflight has always been a propaganda exercise not something noble or altruistic in any way. Also if NASA was allowed to keep the profits from the patents they have developed, their budget would be much larger, they are a revenue gain for the government, people who have called them a waste are apparently ignorant of that fact.

Has anyone mentioned that the shuttle fleet was going to either retire or blow up? They were never meant to last that long. Their retirement was delayed at least twice while contractors dragged their feet on a replacement and still are, it is an Apollo type capsule for Christ's sake. Blame it on Obama if you like but the reality is that the MIC was making too much money from the shuttle and had no interest in the less costly system planned to replace it, by the time the MIC is done we will have a system that costs more.

I had a thread supporting Obama in following up on the Bush era decision to end the shuttle program. Science forum.

Wouldn't Mars be a little on the cold side even during it "summer season"?

moron. You'd need practical near light speed travel first, which according to Einstein is an impossibility.

Initially I thought President Obama's "deconstruction" of the Space Program was wrong minded...but I could be wrong. Because he invited private industry to take up the challenge of exploiting space.

Several years later and what? Aside from a few "vanity" projects, private industry has done very little. And it's not that they do not profit from space exploration, indeed, government satellites have given rise to the cell phone industry and gps. There is plenty of tech available for private industry to grow on but they haven't. Why? ROI. It's a very risky venture..and the private sector loathes risk. They do not innovate. They build on what others have created. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are prime examples of this.

So, while other countries are now entering the 'space race' and America looks to the private sector to do "something"...we can watch and wait as the "captains of industry" do nothing. Because generally..if it's not a "sure thing" then the private sector wants nothing to do with it.

Wait...not to take the thread off topic...but you obviously know nothing about Steve Jobs.
Steve Jobs, for all of his eccentricities and quarks, is the most risk taking and innovative CEO in the last 100 years. he is known for taking gambles that would bankrupt Apple on several occasions.
This man invested $45 million of HIS OWN personal money to build Pixar based on a vision of the potential he saw in computer animation.
He put Apple on the line in the early 2000's by banking the company on producing the iPod.

I see where you are going with the thread...but seriously...Gates and Jobs don't even belong in the same book let alone sentence.

moron. You'd need practical near light speed travel first, which according to Einstein is an impossibility.

Didn't they just find a neuron that goes faster then light?

NASA is a wonderful example of WPA style work.

I approve of it and think we ought to do more of this kind of thing than we do nation building.

We really do have enough money, we just spend it foolishly.

Much of the waste is pork, some of it is just midguided social spending.

My personal opinion on the Government "creating" jobs and bailouts is the following.

IF we are going to use Government fund for this crap do it right.

The Government could rebuild the Steel Industry, the ship building Industry and any other Industry we have lost that would also be useful in National defense.

Initially the Government would run it but would gradually turn it over to some kind of private enterprise with the Government keeping a share of the profits.

I'd like to see ExxonMobile take title to Saturn's hydrocarbon rich moon Titan, by landing a probe on it.

That's what we're talking about, right?

Also, who built the rocket ships and alloy and fiber optic and microprocessors? Was that the government or private industry being contracted by government?

US Space Leadership: the one government program killed by Barack Hussein Obama

Didn't they just find a neuron that goes faster then light?

neutrino.

and it was debunked.
Study rejects faster-than-light neutrino claims - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com
In a paper posted Saturday on the same ArXiv preprint website as the OPERA results, the ICARUS team says their findings "refute a superluminal [faster than light] interpretation of the OPERA result."

They argue, on the basis of recently published studies by two top U.S. physicists, that the neutrinos pumped down from CERN should have lost most of their energy if they had traveled at even a tiny fraction faster than light.

But in fact, the ICARUS scientists say, the neutrino beam as tested in their equipment registered an energy spectrum fully corresponding with what it should be for particles traveling at the speed of light and no more.

In any case, a single particle traveling faster than light is vastly different than a ship, with a crew. Also, don't forget the time differentials between traveling at that speed vs. saying on Earth.

Initially I thought President Obama's "deconstruction" of the Space Program was wrong minded...but I could be wrong. Because he invited private industry to take up the challenge of exploiting space.

Several years later and what? Aside from a few "vanity" projects, private industry has done very little. And it's not that they do not profit from space exploration, indeed, government satellites have given rise to the cell phone industry and gps. There is plenty of tech available for private industry to grow on but they haven't. Why? ROI. It's a very risky venture..and the private sector loathes risk. They do not innovate. They build on what others have created. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are prime examples of this.

So, while other countries are now entering the 'space race' and America looks to the private sector to do "something"...we can watch and wait as the "captains of industry" do nothing. Because generally..if it's not a "sure thing" then the private sector wants nothing to do with it.
Obama killed the space program and you're wondering if that was a good thing?

Forum List

Back