Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
President Obama's Inauguration
A MINORITY VIEW
BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2009 AND THEREAFTER

President Obama's Inauguration​

President Obama was sworn into office placing his hand on Abraham Lincoln's Bible. That is the last Bible I would use to be sworn into office. You say, "Why? Didn't Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation free your ancestors?" It all depends where they were living. Let's examine the document's text to see why.

President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, which reads, "That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free …" The key phrase is "in rebellion against the United States" because slaves remained slaves in states not in rebellion.

The Proclamation is specific about the states where slaves were freed, to wit: "Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, (except the Parishes of St. Bernard, Plaquemines, Jefferson, St. John, St. Charles, St. James Ascension, Assumption, Terrebonne, Lafourche, St. Mary, St. Martin, and Orleans, including the City of New Orleans) Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia, (except the forty-eight counties designated as West Virginia, and also the counties of Berkley, Accomac, Northampton, Elizabeth City, York, Princess Ann, and Norfolk, including the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth), and which excepted parts, are for the present, left precisely as if this proclamation were not issued."

Slaves in the excepted Louisiana parishes were not freed because those parishes were not in rebellion. Neither were slaves in West Virginia. By the way, West Virginia's June 1863 admission as a state, formerly a part of Virginia, was a clear violation of the Constitution's Article IV, Section 3, that reads in part "but no new States shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress." But what the heck, Lincoln had much of the Constitution under siege by then.

The hypocrisy of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation came in for heavy criticism. His Secretary of State William Seward said, "We show our sympathy with slavery by emancipating slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free." The New York World wrote, "He has proclaimed emancipation only where he has notoriously no power to execute it. The exemption of the accessible parts of Louisiana, Tennessee, and Virginia renders the proclamation not merely futile, but ridiculous." The London Spectator mocked, "The principle (of the Proclamation) is not that a human being cannot justly own another, but that he cannot own him unless he is loyal to the United States." Lincoln admitted in a letter to his Treasury Secretary Salmon Chase that his proclamation had no legal justification. Lincoln's motivation for proclamation was the war was going badly for the Union and there was the possibility that England and other European powers, who had recently abolished slavery, might give the Confederacy economic and political aid, but would not do so if the war was seen as a war against slavery. An excellent reference for this period is "The Real Lincoln" by Loyola College of Maryland's economics Professor Thomas DiLorenzo.

President Obama can be forgiven for celebrating the hypocrisy of Abraham Lincoln because the victors of wars write their history and glorify the winners. The recognition that slavery is a despicable institution does not require hero worship of a president who made the largest contribution to the unraveling of our Constitution. After all when it is settled by brute force that states cannot secede, as they thought they had the right to in 1787, then the federal government can ride roughshod over states and their people's right -- in a word make meaningless the Ninth and Tenth Amendments.

Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University. To find out more about Walter E. Williams and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at Creators Syndicate - Celebrating 20 Years as a World-Class Syndicate Of Talent.

COPYRIGHT 2009 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

I would highly recommend Thomas J. DiLorenzo's books The Real Lincoln and Lincoln Unmasked for more on the myths surrounding Abraham Lincoln.

Imo, he used Lincoln's bible because most people are not aware of what you posted. I wasn't until I read it many places on here. Most people think Lincoln freed the slaves, Obama is black, there ya go. Obama's ancestors weren't even slaves. Ironic, isn't it?

Imo, he used Lincoln's bible because most people are not aware of what you posted. I wasn't until I read it many places on here. Most people think Lincoln freed the slaves, Obama is black, there ya go. Obama's ancestors weren't even slaves. Ironic, isn't it?
Even more ironic is the high probability that Mr Obama's ancestors sold their own countrymen into slavery.

Even more ironic is the high probability that Mr Obama's ancestors sold their own countrymen into slavery.

And now he owns us.

Many in the media, and Obama himself apparently, require a history lesson.

You guys are the biggest haters. It wasn't that his ancestors were slaves or not you fuck wit, it was the historic value of an African-American becoming president. Why would some of you dumb fucks be saying: "Wait until he screws up his first week". Why would you be relying on some false sense of revenge to satisfy your need and have a liberal fuck up just like George Bush did? I cannot believe how big of haters you conservatives are, calling President Obama "Hussien" and shit. Why would you call him by his middle name? I mean haha real cute, his name sounds like Sadams! Grow up a little, if he screws up, then you are righteously pissed off but he has done so little so far. I don't understand how you form such a haste opinion about him. On one hand you are right, he should not be over glorified because we have yet to see what he can do.

You guys are the biggest haters. It wasn't that his ancestors were slaves or not you fuck wit, it was the historic value of an African-American becoming president. Why would some of you dumb fucks be saying: "Wait until he screws up his first week". Why would you be relying on some false sense of revenge to satisfy your need and have a liberal fuck up just like George Bush did? I cannot believe how big of haters you conservatives are, calling President Obama "Hussien" and shit. Why would you call him by his middle name? I mean haha real cute, his name sounds like Sadams! Grow up a little, if he screws up, then you are righteously pissed off but he has done so little so far. I don't understand how you form such a haste opinion about him. On one hand you are right, he should not be over glorified because we have yet to see what he can do.

I'm a lover not a hater. :D

Ligthen up dude before you blow a gasket. You seem to have missed the point of the original post. Try actually reading it. Obama's symbolic gesture is hypocritical.

You want we should call him a "Chimperor"? That seems fair. You call our gy a chimp and we call your guy a chimp. Right?

Right like you big DUMbasses throwing eggs at President Bush on his inaugural day.. Like your hissing and booing President Bush on his last day. Like all your bullshit and hate for everyday inbetween. Go away you bore me.

You want we should call him a "Chimperor"? That seems fair. You call our gy a chimp and we call your guy a chimp. Right?

Right like you big DUMbasses throwing eggs at President Bush on his inaugural day.. Like your hissing and booing President Bush on his last day. Like all your bullshit and hate for everyday inbetween. Go away you bore me.

Now Willow, that's being racist! Tsk, tsk. ;) You'd better watch it or Al and Jesse are gonna ring you up and ream you out girl! :lol:

Last edited:

Well I am not a conservative, have never called Obama by his middle name, and I never said a thing about his ancestors not being slaves or otherwise. I simply stated that he he needs a history lesson on Abraham Lincoln, because he does not have an accurate picture of the 16th President.

As for Obama doing "little so far." He's found the time to bomb Pakistan and kill civilians and children. Sounds like he already screwed up.

Now Willow, that's being racist! Tsk, tsk. ;) You'd better watch it or Al and Jesse are gonna ring you up and ream you out girl! :lol:

well, if we are to believe that we are all descendants of one little lady in Africa it's not. :lol:

Don't give we righties so much credit. We're not half the haters the lefties were. :lol:

Well I am not a conservative, have never called Obama by his middle name, and I never said a thing about his ancestors not being slaves or otherwise. I simply stated that he he needs a history lesson on Abraham Lincoln, because he does not have an accurate picture of the 16th President.

As for Obama doing "little so far." He's found the time to bomb Pakistan and kill civilians and children. Sounds like he already screwed up.

I think you miss the point of all the Abe Lincoln hoopla. What I see is a guy who has chosen to liken himself to an American icon. This is exactly the same as Hugo Chavez running around saying he's the second coming of Simon de Bolivar. And Adolph Hitler saying he's like Fredrick the Great.

People who seek to grasp great amounts of power often try to sell this seizure of power by likening themselves to others who had done it with great effect and whom history visits positive reviews upon. That's my view until I see differently.

You may be right, Tech. I was in the kitchen the other night and Obama was on talking. I couldn't hear what he was saying but I did hear him say something to the effect of 'As Andrew Jackson (or some past president) once said . . .' I asked my husband if he was quoting dead presidents again. Hmm, interesting POV.

Obama chose the Republican President Lincoln's Bible to cement the relationship between himself and Republicans. It's the same reason he "reaches out" to Republicans. So when his own miserable policies fail, he can say, "Hey, we were all in this together."

It had nothing to do with slavery or anything else. If Obama has his way, every US citizen will be a slave to the government.

I think you miss the point of all the Abe Lincoln hoopla. What I see is a guy who has chosen to liken himself to an American icon. This is exactly the same as Hugo Chavez running around saying he's the second coming of Simon de Bolivar. And Adolph Hitler saying he's like Fredrick the Great.

People who seek to grasp great amounts of power often try to sell this seizure of power by likening themselves to others who had done it with great effect and whom history visits positive reviews upon. That's my view until I see differently.

Oh I understand why he's doing it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't need a history lesson. He's trying to liken himself to Lincoln's perceived greatness. A greatness that isn't actually there if you look at the facts.

Could using his bible be something so simple as, though born in Kentucky, former president Lincoln's home state was Illinois?

Naw... probably not... cuz how would it then be possible to muddy the waters with subtrifuge?

Don't give we righties so much credit. We're not half the haters the lefties were. :lol:

Yea, I got too angry there. It wasn't you guys that said anything, its just that I see an exuberant amount of hate towards Obama from SOME conservatives. And no I am not a left nor have I ever been a hater towards conservatives. BTW, Regan was a man of his word, I just did not care for his politics.

Forum List

Back