President Obama will not renew assault weapons ban

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri

MEXICO CITY - Confronting a Mexican drug war that is "sowing chaos in our communities," President Obama signaled Thursday he will not seek renewal of a U.S. assault weapons ban but instead will step up enforcement of laws banning the transfer of such guns across the border.

Obama had pledged during his campaign to seek renewal of the ban but has bowed to the reality that such a move would be unpopular in politically key U.S. states and among Republicans as well as some conservative Democrats.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/altdaily/mobile/breakingnews/114582.php

:eusa_clap:

I hope this signals a permanent policy change and not just temporary political expediency.

I don't know about this decision. what useful purpose do assualt weapons serve?

He is probably thinking that anyone who wants them will have them anyway so he's picking his battles.

He is probably thinking that anyone who wants them will have them anyway so he's picking his battles.

It's not about what's "useful" about "assault" rifles... Last time I checked, we had lots of "useless" things that no one complained about. However, that aside, the AWB as written is stupid and ineffective anyway.

did you know that simply changing the grip on a gun can, under the AWB, take a weapoin from being illegal to being legal?

the problem is that we've been trained to hear the word "assault" weapon and respond to that word viscerally. It has no meaning in reality and in reading the AWB, I found that it was so badly written and pointless that there is no reason for it to exist.

And it's not like it kept illegal weapons off the streets.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkhfOTdUQqY&feature=PlayList&p=3A0D24F3F530233B&index=13[/ame]

Will give The Prophet credit for this decision. Hopefully he will stick with it.

There are plenty of good laws on the books around both gun possession, use and transportation, as well as illegal immigration. Neither are enforced with any seriousness and it has been that way for a long time.

Shogun posted this video last year...it really does a good job explaining the fallacy of the "assault" rifle and why the AWB was bad law.

[youtube]YjM9fcEzSJ0[/youtube]​

(If it doesn't work, let me know)

I hope his pets in Congress listens and agrees. Although, it would be interesting to see if he sticks to his word and vetoes anything they send to him (if they do) to the contrary.

Obama is making the right decision.

I know a lot of kids who want automatic airsoft rifles. very fun.

MEXICO CITY - Confronting a Mexican drug war that is "sowing chaos in our communities," President Obama signaled Thursday he will not seek renewal of a U.S. assault weapons ban but instead will step up enforcement of laws banning the transfer of such guns across the border.

Obama had pledged during his campaign to seek renewal of the ban but has bowed to the reality that such a move would be unpopular in politically key U.S. states and among Republicans as well as some conservative Democrats.

Tucson Citizen

I hope this signals a permanent policy change and not just temporary political expediency.

I don't think he's gonna ban ammo either, or tax it so outrageously high that nobody can afford it, but...
:eusa_shhh:
...Shhhhhh...don't tell the wingnuts...they're going nuts running around buying up all the guns and ammo they can...they're convinced Obama's gonna take away their right to bear arms.
Running around buying guns & ammo-and teabagging with each other-keeps 'em busy and outta trouble.
Who started those rumors, anyway?
LOL-probably gun dealers!
Who started the teabagging craze?
Betcha it was Lipton and Earl Grey!:lol:

Tucson Citizen

I don't think he's gonna ban ammo either, or tax it so outrageously high that nobody can afford it, but...
...Shhhhhh...don't tell the wingnuts...they're going nuts running around buying up all the guns and ammo they can...they're convinced Obama's gonna take away their right to bear arms.
Running around buying guns & ammo-and teabagging with each other-keeps 'em busy and outta trouble.

The idea of putting serial numbers on ammo has been around for many years. For example, California in 2005 and as late as Maryland in 2008.

This is a way to get around 2nd Amendment issues. Don't ban the guns, just make ammo so expensive that very few people can afford it.

Problem is, when BO was a senator, he supported nearly ever gun-ball bill that was presented. So even though he says one thing now, it's hard not to remember the past.

And remember, BO has a history of saying one thing, and doing the other.

Tucson Citizen

The idea of putting serial numbers on ammo has been around for many years. For example, California in 2005 and as late as Maryland in 2008.

This is a way to get around 2nd Amendment issues. Don't ban the guns, just make ammo so expensive that very few people can afford it.

Problem is, when BO was a senator, he supported nearly ever gun-ball bill that was presented. So even though he says one thing now, it's hard not to remember the past.

Obama was serving an inner-city constituency in Chicago when he was a senator, so it would make sense that he would be a voice for gun control, at least to a degree.
Obama's a politician, which means he can't be completely trusted in my book, but there have been so many assumptive rumors flying around since he was elected-and even before-that it has gotten kinda ridiculous.
I suspect that Obama likely will want to try for another 4 years in 2012, and I think he's smart enough to know that if he starts attacking the 2nd ammendment he's gonna have a real problem achieving that.

The biggest worry that the gun lobby has isn't Obama...it's keeping the crazies out there from too many high-profile mass shootings...that could get enough of the public heated up to a point where we might see stronger anti-gun measures get pushed.

But I personally don't think that Obama is out to attack the 2nd Ammendment...although I also don't think he really understands gun enthusiasts based on his "bitter...they cling to their guns..." crack about Pennsylvanians, harumph!

Obama was serving an inner-city constituency in Chicago when he was a senator, so it would make sense that he would be a voice for gun control, at least to a degree.
Obama's a politician, which means he can't be completely trusted in my book, but there have been so many assumptive rumors flying around since he was elected-and even before-that it has gotten kinda ridiculous.
I suspect that Obama likely will want to try for another 4 years in 2012, and I think he's smart enough to know that if he starts attacking the 2nd ammendment he's gonna have a real problem achieving that.

The biggest worry that the gun lobby has isn't Obama...it's keeping the crazies out there from too many high-profile mass shootings...that could get enough of the public heated up to a point where we might see stronger anti-gun measures get pushed.

But I personally don't think that Obama is out to attack the 2nd Ammendment...although I also don't think he really understands gun enthusiasts based on his "bitter...they cling to their guns..." crack about Pennsylvanians, harumph!

Hell, there is talk he didn't even know there were Tea Parties going on.

I worry about Pelosi. I know she said she wouldn't support it but...she is flakey. Like you said, a couple of high profile incidents and she will go off on a tangent.

It's not about what's "useful" about "assault" rifles... Last time I checked, we had lots of "useless" things that no one complained about. However, that aside, the AWB as written is stupid and ineffective anyway.

did you know that simply changing the grip on a gun can, under the AWB, take a weapoin from being illegal to being legal?

the problem is that we've been trained to hear the word "assault" weapon and respond to that word viscerally. It has no meaning in reality and in reading the AWB, I found that it was so badly written and pointless that there is no reason for it to exist.

And it's not like it kept illegal weapons off the streets.

:thup: Awesome post! :clap2:

(I would rep you, but I've given out too much rep in the past 24 hours. :eusa_angel:)

Forum List

Back