President Obama on Trayvon Martin

He couldn't just stop at the first part of his statement below...

The first part IS appropriate; it is a newsworthy case. Stepping into the shoes of the victim is NOT the President's job, at this point.

Unless I read it wrong, that is what Sherry is saying.

Yes, and I agree the president should not be singling out THIS death for comment until the any case is RESOLVED.

"If I had a son he would look like him"

Comment made to a msnbc reporter at the whitehouse news conference on New World Bank nominee.

Really? And that is important to this case how exactly? Such blatant race based comments are really not needed to turn an outraged public into something worse. I guess we just never learn anything in the highest levels of govt in our country.

Also on a side note I saw Al Sharpton speaking at a rally last night on this issue. That man is w disgrace and msnbc should be embarrassed.

From my perspective the trigger man should be tried and let his peers determine his guilt. Looks guilty of murder to me but i don't know all the facts.

When I read it I took that he was trying to empathize with the family as best as possible, and a statement like that can drive the message home.

On the other hand if you're constantly trying to find an unintended underlying theme it's usually always possible.

The underlying theme started when he became president on the promise of being post racial. Reality is the exact opposite.

He may be, but the country obviously isn't, as demonstrated by the reaction to what was an expression of sympathy to a mother. If you've grown up in America and are honest with yourself, everything he said is common knowledge.

Comment made to a msnbc reporter at the whitehouse news conference on New World Bank nominee.

Really? And that is important to this case how exactly? Such blatant race based comments are really not needed to turn an outraged public into something worse. I guess we just never learn anything in the highest levels of govt in our country.

Also on a side note I saw Al Sharpton speaking at a rally last night on this issue. That man is w disgrace and msnbc should be embarrassed.

From my perspective the trigger man should be tried and let his peers determine his guilt. Looks guilty of murder to me but i don't know all the facts.

When I read it I took that he was trying to empathize with the family as best as possible, and a statement like that can drive the message home.

On the other hand if you're constantly trying to find an unintended underlying theme it's usually always possible.

The underlying theme started when he became president on the promise of being post racial. Reality is the exact opposite.

The statement he made wasn't racial it was factual. He could have a son that looked similar...is that untrue?

The facts are that witnesses saw Zimmerman on the ground struggling with someone on top of him and later Zimmerman back was wet and grass stained and the back of his head and face were bleeding; knowing that changed my idea of what probably occurred.

So, his victim put up a fight. After all Trayvon was "standing his ground". I don't see how that helps Zimmermann. He ignored an instruction to not follow the kid and actively pursued him. Doesn't look good at all for his chances at remaining a free man.

Zimmerman apparently went after other blacks and was heard on the 911 call to say "fucking coon", the kid was talking to his girlfriend and told her he was being followed.

Its a dman shame he couldn't have given Zimmerman more than a few grass stains. Now that the rw's are saying he was shot because of what he was wearing, how long before the rw's will say Martin deserved to be killed for soiling the killer's clothing while he was fighting for his life?

Or, that he was armed with Skittles.

The only reason the rw's are critical of the president comforting the family is that he's black and the victim was black.

If anyone thinks that's ridiculous, oh the gnashing of teeth and whining and screeching we'll hear when the Dept of Justice DOES THEIR JOB UNDER THE MATHEW SHEPARD LAW.

As he hasn't been convicted of a crime, I don't really have a problem with [Zimmerman buying, carrying a gun].
Uh, he has an arrest record, a very violent past, was known for his pretend neighborhood watch and yet he was able to buy that gun AND he was issued a concealed carry permit. You really don't have a problem with this?
Uh, in this country we don't revoke people's constitutional rights based strictly upon their having been arrested or their reputation. One would have thought someone so long involved in politics would have understood such a thing. :dunno:
What is it with the rw's that don't want people to vote but they do want criminals and the mentally ill to have easy access to guns?
What is it with numbnuts like you who make unfounded strawman arguments and think they've said something important?

Too bad you never actually met David Nolan. He might have been able to educate you as to the difference between "right wing" and "libertarian."

I guess many of you have no problem with Obama tainting any possible future jury with his comments because you desire w guilty verdict.

Obama should have kept his mouth shut, period.

I guess many of you have no problem with Obama tainting any possible future jury with his comments because you desire w guilty verdict.

Except for noting the death, AND stating the matter is being brought before a Grand Jury, yes.

I mean really, do you think it's going to have much of an impact? Any more than the boatloads of media pundits that have gone to much greater lengths and taken broad liberties to let people know their judgments? Really?

It's a tragic situation, and he is trying to relay his sympathies. End of story.

Except for noting the death, AND stating the matter is being brought before a Grand Jury, yes.
He's commenting on a state crime, so he shouldn't even go that far IMO.

So, his victim put up a fight. After all Trayvon was "standing his ground". I don't see how that helps Zimmermann. He ignored an instruction to not follow the kid and actively pursued him. Doesn't look good at all for his chances at remaining a free man.
The Stand Your Ground principle refers to resisting the use of force. So your suggestion that Martin was "standing his ground" unavoidably implies that Zimmerman struck first. Is that your position? If so, how do you know that?

And Zimmerman was not instructed to not follow Martin. "We don't need you to do that" is not an instruction. It is information to be taken into consideration. E.g., I don't need you to send me a Christmas card doesn't mean you can't do it if you wish to.

I mean really, do you think it's going to have much of an impact? Any more than the boatloads of media pundits that have gone to much greater lengths and taken broad liberties to let people know their judgments? Really?

It's a tragic situation, and he is trying to relay his sympathies. End of story.

Yes I do believe the impact could be that big. Depends on how the defense chooses to frame and use it. I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be used by a defense lawyer.

Words have consequences. As Biden once said "This is a big fucking deal!" Lol

Where's the "sanctity of life" folks on the right?
Where's Ralph Reed?
Where's Pat Robertson?
Where's Rick Santorum?

I guess the sanctity of life has an expiration date for these folks.

What would you expect them to say?

I'm pro-life. I think the death of Trayvon Martin is a tragedy. It is a shame to think that it even happened.

On the other hand, I don't know all the facts of the case. I won't condemn Mr. Zimmerman until more of the facts come out. For the record, facts does not mean internet chit chat about what so and so saw, heard or said.

What on earth has possessed the country to convict a man on gobs and gobs of hearsay?

Immie

Yes I do believe the impact could be that big. Depends on how the defense chooses to frame and use it. I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be used by a defense lawyer.

Words have consequences. As Biden once said "This is a big fucking deal!" Lol

I can't imagine how a reference to genetic similarities of the victim and an unrelated party could impact the murder trial.

You're really just reaching too far on this one.

Where's the "sanctity of life" folks on the right?
Where's Ralph Reed?
Where's Pat Robertson?
Where's Rick Santorum?

I guess the sanctity of life has an expiration date for these folks.

What would you expect them to say?

I'm pro-life. I think the death of Trayvon Martin is a tragedy. It is a shame to think that it even happened.

On the other hand, I don't know all the facts of the case. I won't condemn Mr. Zimmerman until more of the facts come out. For the record, facts does not mean internet chit chat about what so and so saw, heard or said.

What on earth has possessed the country to convict a man on gobs and gobs of hearsay?

Immie

Hearsay like a 911 call where he's told not to do something, but does it anyway? Seems to make him the agressor, rather than someone "standing his ground". Until there's an arrest none of the questions will be answered, hence the drumbeat for it.

My exact thoughts! Because if the kid was white it won't matter right? In fact it won't. People wouldn't be in the streets demanding justice. The President wouldn't have said anything.

What did the President just do? First, he was identifying the victim by race instead of as a child. Second, he just use divisive politics that is all he know on to do. Third, he entered into a discussion he should have stayed out of it.

If he was asked about it he should have taken the high road instead of lighting the flames of race divid. This President has done more to hurt racial harmony than any other President in the last 50 years! He is a failure on all fronts.

If he wanted to give a response. He should have said, "My office has heard about the unfortunate situation, but we have faith in the police to do the right thing." Then behind the scenes he could have had a staffer make a call!

He is a worthless President!

Forum List

Back