President Obama on Trayvon Martin

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
"If I had a son he would look like him"

Comment made to a msnbc reporter at the whitehouse news conference on New World Bank nominee.

Really? And that is important to this case how exactly? Such blatant race based comments are really not needed to turn an outraged public into something worse. I guess we just never learn anything in the highest levels of govt in our country.

Also on a side note I saw Al Sharpton speaking at a rally last night on this issue. That man is w disgrace and msnbc should be embarrassed.

From my perspective the trigger man should be tried and let his peers determine his guilt. Looks guilty of murder to me but i don't know all the facts.

• Banned
And just to nip it in the bud. My thoughts on Obamas comments are not talking points or dittohead remarks. This exchange just took place on live tv and has not been commented on by any figure on the right YET

It was an excellent and appropriate statement and fit well with the rest of what he said.

What is wrong is that the man who killed a 17 year old kid is walking the street with the same gun in his pocket.

He should be arrested and the crime investigated and taken to trial.

Why are so many whites against that happening? Why is faux against that happening?

hoax...

that question was such a plant, so obama could say if i had a son he would look like me... so out of place... was it WH asst. press secretary chuck todd ?

that is so inappropriate for a president to make it racial... and so quick..

this will haunt him like boston...

this is a process of law... it sounds like vigilantism, charges will be filed shortly. people need not to make this about race, even though it smacks of racism on so many levels. think oj, you would want him to get a fair trial.

as we say in vermont, bringing a gun to a situation like this is never a good idea. that's why we have highly trained police.

both sides will learn a lesson. a court will decide all of this based on the facts. "stand your ground" is irrelevant here.

sharpten and jackson are racebaiting antagonistc bottomfeeders in a time when we need a martin luther king.

Last edited:
Where's the "sanctity of life" folks on the right?
Where's Ralph Reed?
Where's Pat Robertson?
Where's Rick Santorum?

I guess the sanctity of life has an expiration date for these folks.

It was an excellent and appropriate statement and fit well with the rest of what he said.

What is wrong is that the man who killed a 17 year old kid is walking the street with the same gun in his pocket.

Why are so many whites against that happening? Why is faux against that happening?

A GRAND JURY will meet, the President should not be commenting on this until after charges, if any, AND a conviction.

You have it the wrong way around.

First, comes the investigations. Then comes the arrest, and then, if there is sufficient evidence... it goes to trial. That is our due process. Everyone - no matter who you are or what your race is - is entitled to the same process. We do not find people guilty with trial by media in this country. Thank (insert relevant deity here) for that.

He couldn't just stop at the first part of his statement below...

“I think every parent in America,” he said, “should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative to investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together — federal, state, and local — to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.” He noted that he was glad that the Justice Department had stepped in to investigate the specifics of the case.

“But my main message,” he added, “is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. And, you know, I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and that we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/barack-o...in-case-if-i-had-a-son-hed-look-like-trayvon/

No, he had to go on with his "main message", which is to emphasize that as a black man, he possesses a deeper understanding. Just imagine if this incident had happened to a white kid, and a white president made those exact comments.

Travon's death was horrible. But, the president is only coming out because its in the news, it's election year posturing. Where was he when all of the other black teenage males were killed last year, or were those deaths okay because they were committed by other black males?

The death of an african american is only an issue when it wasn't caused by another african american.

Comment made to a msnbc reporter at the whitehouse news conference on New World Bank nominee.

Really? And that is important to this case how exactly? Such blatant race based comments are really not needed to turn an outraged public into something worse. I guess we just never learn anything in the highest levels of govt in our country.

Also on a side note I saw Al Sharpton speaking at a rally last night on this issue. That man is w disgrace and msnbc should be embarrassed.

From my perspective the trigger man should be tried and let his peers determine his guilt. Looks guilty of murder to me but i don't know all the facts.

Rev Al needs to be Mourning His Mom.

“I think every parent in America,” he said, “should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative to investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together — federal, state, and local — to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.” He noted that he was glad that the Justice Department had stepped in to investigate the specifics of the case.

No, he had to go on with his "main message", which is to emphasize that as a black man, he possesses a deeper understanding. Just imagine if this incident had happened to a white kid, and a white president made those exact comments.

The first part IS appropriate; it is a newsworthy case. Stepping into the shoes of the victim is NOT the President's job, at this point.

“But my main message,” he added, “is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. And, you know, I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and that we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”

President Obama Comments On Trayvon Martin Case: ‘If I Had A Son, He’d Look Like Trayvon’ | Mediaite

Well, that would be stupid, because the situations don't even compare. When does the average white teenager suffer suspicions based on his race?

Rev Al needs to be Mourning His Mom.

Who says he isn't? What a bullshit post.

Those of you screaming about the rights reaction to this whole case but excuse Obamas race injected comments are a hoot. The man that shot him appears to be a minority as well. Not that it matters, I just don't see the need to nationalize race into every god damn issue.

I just did some reading of other comments on this killing and want to change my earlier question to -

Why are the rw's/Repubs not demanding justice? Why is it that only the Libs/Dems/Progressives who are demanding this killing be investigated and the shooter arrested?

The facts that we know include that the shooter went after the teenager and shot him, point blank. We also know that he said the words, "fucking coon" while on his phone to the 9-11 dispatcher and we know that he was known for making 9-11 calls to complain about blacks in his neighborhood.

Even if we didn't know those and other facts, a man shot and killed a kid walking on the street and he should be arrested, investigated and tried for that crime.

WHY are rw whites against that happening?

And now, why are rw's attacking the president for his very appropriate comments?

President Obama Comments On Trayvon Martin Case: ‘If I Had A Son, He’d Look Like Trayvon’ | Mediaite

Well, that would be stupid, because the situations don't even compare. When does the average white teenager suffer suspicions based on his race?

There are a plethora of cases where white kids have been attacked by blacks just for being white. That does not excuse or justify this incident. We really must get past this whole race thing.

The firearm was confiscated at the scene and entered into evidence.

At least try to get one or two facts right once in a while, numbnuts.

Inappropriate comment and an inappropriate time.

This is another example of a President that doesn't get it, from the Fluke phone call, to the sit down and have a beer, to this.

Are you making the point that a black president feels compelled to point out and/or chastise Americans that we need to take special note of THIS incident because of our obvious racist tendencies??

Forum List

Back