President Obama Causes Outrage with Reference to ‘Polish Death Camp’

Hie Uncle liberated Auschwitz right?

Obama is the stupidest fucking asshole to ever hold political office

That's debateable. However, I think it's clear he's one of the most dishonest. Which is really amazing if you think about it.

He misspoke. and it may cause problems with Poland-US relations. Ultimately, I think it can be rectified without much difficulties.

And for those who dont see the problem, I think those who are upset over it are concerned that the ignorant among us may interpret his statements to mean that the Polish people were the ones setting up the death camps rather than the victims. I know most of us think that it's obvious that it would be Nazi's but there are alot of ignorant people out there who have no freakin idea what Nazi's, death camps, or Hitler were. totally messed up.

I think there is heightened sensitivity as well because the BBC just did a documentary that has Poland and the Ukraine up in arms.

So for Obama to have called the death camps "Polish Death Camps" frankly his gaffe couldn't have come at a worse time.

FYI for anyone to understand why this would be seriously upsetting to the Poles at this point in time, check this out.

Perspectives on Poland: Coming to Terms with Anti-Semitism

Last night, the BBC broadcast a terrifying documentary swarming with images of Polish and Ukrainian football hooligans chanting anti-Semitic slogans, making Nazi salutes and abusing black players.

So for Obama to make it sound like Poland was really running the death camps (even though it was just a simple gaffe) it was really bad timing.

Perspectives on Poland: Coming to Terms with Anti-Semitism » Krakow Post

He misspoke. and it may cause problems with Poland-US relations. Ultimately, I think it can be rectified without much difficulties.

And for those who dont see the problem, I think those who are upset over it are concerned that the ignorant among us may interpret his statements to mean that the Polish people were the ones setting up the death camps rather than the victims. I know most of us think that it's obvious that it would be Nazi's but there are alot of ignorant people out there who have no freakin idea what Nazi's, death camps, or Hitler were. totally messed up.

I think there is heightened sensitivity as well because the BBC just did a documentary that has Poland and the Ukraine up in arms.

So for Obama to have called the death camps "Polish Death Camps" frankly his gaffe couldn't have come at a worse time.

Hadn't heard that. What did the BBC documentary say that has them so upset?

Edit: Ive since seen the post so nevermind.

Can you imagine the news media had it been Sarah Palin that made that "faux pas"?
Damn I will be glad when amateur hour in Washington finally comes to a close.

Actually, I think it might be nice to have amatuer politicians instead of the professional ones. They seem to be much more grounded in reality.

The poles are mad that they were pussies?

Don't forget the fact they were betrayed by there two main allies England and France who had signed a treaty with Poland to come to their aid if Germany invaded yet neither did when that happened. They were also betrayed by the allies again late in the war after the Germans were forced out we then let the Soviets roll in occupy Poland without intervening.

The death camps were not just for jewish people. Polish people also filled death camps. How is identifying a death camp where there were Polish people as a "polish death camp" insulting to anyone, or factually incorrect?

Factually incorrect.

You have no clue about anything you post on.

"Categories of prisoners"

Jews in Auschwitz

Poles in Auschwitz

Sinti and Roma (Gypsies) in Auschwitz

Soviet POWs

Jehovah's Witnesses

Other ethnic groups

In addition to Jews, Poles, Gypsies, and Soviet POWs, about 25 thousand prisoners of other nationalities were imprisoned in Auschwitz. Research on the story of these other nationality groups is still in progress, and the statistics about them should therefore be treated as fragmentary, conservative estimates based on a limited number of cases.

Auschwitz-Birkenau - Categories of prisoners

Perhaps it's an urban legend, who knows. I heard that Pat Buchanan's father died in a Nazi death camp. The story goes he fell out of the guard tower.

The death camps were not just for jewish people. Polish people also filled death camps. How is identifying a death camp where there were Polish people as a "polish death camp" insulting to anyone, or factually incorrect?

Factually incorrect.

Jews in Auschwitz

Poles in Auschwitz

Soviet POWs

Jehovah's Witnesses

Other ethnic groups

In addition to Jews, Poles, Gypsies, and Soviet POWs, about 25 thousand prisoners of other nationalities were imprisoned in Auschwitz. Research on the story of these other nationality groups is still in progress, and the statistics about them should therefore be treated as fragmentary, conservative estimates based on a limited number of cases.

I don't get it, you're information supports what I said.

Factually incorrect.

Oh really? Then please send me to a link that shows that there were no, or hardly any, polish people in the death camps. That really is the only piece of evidence that would negate what I just said, or what Obama said.

Here's a link for you. Just because we haven't heard about this till now, doesn't mean the Poles aren't freaking.

Bad diplomatic faux pas calling them Polish death camps. Big big whoopsies.

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&output...f.,cf.osb&fp=afee8b0baff9ca33&biw=964&bih=522

Faux pas? Sure.

Big deal? Not at all.

Any lasting consequences? Nope.

Hey no big deal to you or to other American liberals. To the Poles, well it's a different matter isn't it now?

But why would Democrats care? Polish Americans aren't a large enough voting block to worry about this year.:lol: That's how Democrats think. This will be no big smurf to liberals if it has no impact on an election.

Come on it was a huge diplomatic insult. A mistake for certain. But a big big insult.

Bigger even than Michelle pawing the Queen?

Factually incorrect.

Jews in Auschwitz

Poles in Auschwitz

Soviet POWs

Jehovah's Witnesses

Other ethnic groups

I don't get it, you're information supports what I said.

Yes it does and it shows that tinydancer is a nitwit.

What outrage? This is the first I've heard of it...

Just because you have your head up Obama's ass doesn't men the Poles do.

“The White House will apologize for this outrageous error,” Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski tweeted. Sikorski said that Polish Prime Minister Donald “Tusk will make a statement in the morning. It’s a pity that this important ceremony was upstaged by ignorance and incompetence.”…
“A Polish death camp” — Sikorski also tonight tweeted a link to an Economist story noting that “few things annoy Poles more than being blamed for the crimes committed by the Nazi occupiers of their homeland. For many years, Polish media, diplomats and politicians have tried to persuade outsiders to stop using the phrase ‘Polish death camps’ as a shorthand description of Auschwitz and other exemplars of Nazi brutality and mass murder. Unfortunately this seems to have escaped BaracK Obama’s staff seem not to have noticed this.”…
Alex Storozynski, the President of the Kosciuszko Foundation, lauded the president earlier in the day for recognizing Karski, but now says “Karski would have cringed if he heard this….So far, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Associated Press and others have changed their stylebooks to ban the use of this phrase. Now, the Obama White House must do the same. President Obama’s remarks are already being called ‘scandalous’ by media outlets in Poland. Obama was seen reading this phrase off a teleprompter. The President must acknowledge his mistake and apologize for it. He must do it for Karski and the other Poles that risked their lives trying to stop the Holocaust.”

Um.

I'm Polish-Jewish. About a third of my extended family died in Auschwitz and Treblinka - the ones that didn't emigrate here in the 20s.

No one in my family is "outraged" about this. Who exactly do you think you're speaking for?

Try this gentleman and the Prime Minister of Poland for starters:

“The White House will apologize for this outrageous error,” Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski tweeted. Sikorski said that Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk “will make a statement in the morning. It’s a pity that this important ceremony was upstaged by ignorance and incompetence.”

It's right in the OP.

So, Obama has lost the votes of the Prime Minister of Poland, and the Foreign Minister. Good to know.

My point wasn't that no one was outraged about it - I'm sure that some are - my point was that it was a meaningless gaffe. A faux pas.

No one will remember this a week from now, let alone on election day.

The fact that you guys so gleefully latch on to anything the slightest bit bad about Obama, and then claim that it's the biggest deal in the world is hilarious to me.

To be entirely fair, you should admit that how the libs latched onto any error made by Bush is eerily similar.

Too bad those dumb poles aren't as smart as Obama. Maybe you could get a job over there translating what he says into hoi polloi for the commoners.

What outrage? This is the first I've heard of it...

Here's a link for you. Just because we haven't heard about this till now, doesn't mean the Poles aren't freaking.

Bad diplomatic faux pas calling them Polish death camps. Big big whoopsies.

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&output...f.,cf.osb&fp=afee8b0baff9ca33&biw=964&bih=522

Faux pas? Sure.

Big deal? Not at all.

Any lasting consequences? Nope.

Imagine a world where Dubya had said the same thing...

Forum List

Back