President Obama Again Criticizes Trips to Las Vegas

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
open mouth insert foot chomp on it some swirl it around, spit and repeat .:lol:

President Obama is catching heat from Nevada lawmakers and business leaders regarding his comments Tuesday criticizing trips to Las Vegas.

During the president's town hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire, he discussed the need to curb spending during tough economic times. "When times are tough, you tighten your belts," the president said. "You don't go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don't blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you're trying to save for college."

The president's comments come nearly a year after he criticized companies that received federal money for taking corporate junkets to Las Vegas. "You can't go take that trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on taxpayers' dime," he said at the time. Local business leaders say Nevada tourism suffered last year in part because companies canceled trips to Las Vegas in the wake of the president's comments.

the rest here.
President Obama Again Criticizes Trips to Las Vegas - Las Vegas Now

Nevada tourism was hurt last year because the economy was in the toilet, Vegas is a ghost town and it is not Obama's fault. And if the company had to recieve a bailout or lay off employees they probably shouldn't be going to Vegas either.

I cant imagine that he is likely to win reelection in Nevada in two years.

It's really none of his business what people do with their own money.

I cant imagine that he is likely to win reelection in Nevada in two years.

It's really none of his business what people do with their own money.

It is if they took a government bailout.

And blaming him for the bad economy in Vegas, is about the stupidiest thing I have read on this board in a long time.

President Obama is catching heat from Nevada lawmakers and business leaders regarding his comments Tuesday criticizing trips to Las Vegas.

During the president's town hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire, he discussed the need to curb spending during tough economic times. "When times are tough, you tighten your belts," the president said. "You don't go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don't blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you're trying to save for college."

The president's comments come nearly a year after he criticized companies that received federal money for taking corporate junkets to Las Vegas. "You can't go take that trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on taxpayers' dime," he said at the time. Local business leaders say Nevada tourism suffered last year in part because companies canceled trips to Las Vegas in the wake of the president's comments.

the rest here.

Hmmmm, interesting, very interesting. How much is he asking for the budget?

I'm all for corporate responsibility. Especially those that accepted federal funding but this preaching just stinks to high hell of arrogant pedestal pulpit pounding. Is Mr. Obama using HIS own money for vacations and such? Should we not monitor all spending of our politicians? Is Mr. Obama willing to spill the beans in a bi partisan manner not only the corporations abusing federal money but the politicians? I would have much more respect if this were the case.

the rest here.

Is this really the time to be purchasing high speed rails because were trying to keep up with the Jones's...er, I mean China?

Last edited:
When our most highly intellectual President made a statement last year reflecting that corporations--shouldn't be using tax payer bail-outs to head to lavish vacation resorts in Las Vegas, Nevada--he did more damage to Las Vegas than he could have possibly imagined. Corporations who weren't part of any bail-outs immediately cancelled planned conventions--in order to keep corporate profile & not be the target of this President-which sent unemployment in this city soaring.

Well he has done it again, only this time with mom & pop on the street. Sending a fervor of Las Vegas business people in shear outrage over his comments.

This of course while Harry Reid has been in serious trouble in Nevada--Obama blasts Las Vegas again.

Now I know some of you believe Barack Obama to be the smartest President we have ever had---:lol::lol: Being an American I think most of us know when we have enough money to head to Las Vegas--& don't need to be told by a President how to spend or save our money. Maybe Obamalongs--need a little assistance--but the rest of us don't.

Maybe Obama should practice what he preaches--:cuckoo:

$9-trillion-deficit.jpg

Now up to 12 Trillion.

Last edited:
This is even better in the SECOND thread about this tonight.

Did you get your nightly talking points from the RNC?

And blaming him for the bad economy in Vegas, is about the stupidiest thing I have read on this board in a long time.

Stephanie was gone from the board for some time. Think of her as the 2004-2007 version of WillowTree (in fact I thought when Willow turned up it was her!) on the USMB and you'll get an idea of what type of person you are dealing with...

...any body who thinks it's BAD advice to tell people not to gamble during a recession is a fucking idiot. At least you Steph can't accuse Obama of making it a political issue...

This of course while Harry Reid has been in serious trouble in Nevada--Obama blasts Las Vegas again.

If this makes Reid's numbers drop even further that can only be a good thing.

Stephanie was gone from the board for some time. Think of her as the 2004-2007 version of WillowTree (in fact I thought when Willow turned up it was her!) on the USMB and you'll get an idea of what type of person you are dealing with...

...any body who thinks it's BAD advice to tell people not to gamble during a recession is a fucking idiot. At least you Steph can't accuse Obama of making it a political issue...

I must be a fucking idiot then. Because I am not going to sit here and tell people how to spend their money. If they want to go gamble, good on them. But since when is the President the Nanny In Chief that he can tell people what to do?
Yes, I find it highly ironic that the president, facing a severe shortfall in tax revenue has just proposed a budget that includes record deficit spending. That inclues more of Barney Frank's rolling the dice on Fannie and Freddie.
A little of your own advice, eh Barack?

At a town hall meeting Monday in Elkhart, Ind., to gain support for the stimulus bill, Obama said that “you can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer’s dime.”

“The assumption that all meetings, events, and incentive travel (to Las Vegas) are wasteful is wrong,” Goodman wrote. “Now more than ever, we need businesses to travel and hold meetings and events.”

Rep. Shelley Berkley agreed. “There is no question that as a result of the criticism leveled against business travel to Las Vegas by the President and others,” she said in a written statement, “the community I represent has seen the loss of millions of dollars in revenue, which threatens even more job cuts at a time when we cannot afford the loss of a single visitor.”

Hot Air Blog Archive Stop wasting your money in Vegas, says Obama

Did he lose badly at blackjack one time? Paid too much for a skanky hooker? Any theories on why he would deliberately try to destroy a single city? :doubt:

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

No, the "fuckin idiot" is anyone who would take any kind of financial, (especially spending), advice from the obama or any of his lackey's.

Personally I think there is much stimulus to be had in Vegas.

Think of all the surgeons who can find work reconstructing Roy Horn's penis from that Tiger attack or the long term benefits of a national reconstruction of Wayne Newton's face.

At a town hall meeting Monday in Elkhart, Ind., to gain support for the stimulus bill, Obama said that “you can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer’s dime.”

“The assumption that all meetings, events, and incentive travel (to Las Vegas) are wasteful is wrong,” Goodman wrote. “Now more than ever, we need businesses to travel and hold meetings and events.”

Rep. Shelley Berkley agreed. “There is no question that as a result of the criticism leveled against business travel to Las Vegas by the President and others,” she said in a written statement, “the community I represent has seen the loss of millions of dollars in revenue, which threatens even more job cuts at a time when we cannot afford the loss of a single visitor.”

Did he lose badly at blackjack one time? Paid too much for a skanky hooker? Any theories on why he would deliberately try to destroy a single city? :doubt:

He doesn't even Know what the Teleprompter is Telling him half the Time...

He's like Ron Burgundy...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKAcVL_phI]YouTube - Go Fuck Yourself San Diego[/ame]

And by the way, San Diego can go Fuck itself!

:)

peace...

the rest here.

Hmmmm, interesting, very interesting. How much is he asking for the budget?

A HELL of a lot more than the average person would spend in Las Vegas while on vacation!

Just another political gaffe from the man himself.

Last edited:

I must be a fucking idiot then. Because I am not going to sit here and tell people how to spend their money. If they want to go gamble, good on them. But since when is the President the Nanny In Chief that he can tell people what to do?
Yes, I find it highly ironic that the president, facing a severe shortfall in tax revenue has just proposed a budget that includes record deficit spending. That inclues more of Barney Frank's rolling the dice on Fannie and Freddie.
A little of your own advice, eh Barack?

A Vegas pun? lol

What part of on the taxpayer's dime don't you understand?

Forum List

Back